Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RFI: BCM 11.5” GTG?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve taken a bunch of AR classes, like a few weeks worth. I don’t know of anyone in any of those classes shooting .300BLK. I assume that’s entirely because of price which is a much better trade off than performance but not if it’s cost prohibitive to train. 5.56/.223 is cheaper and IMO, more versatile. I know there are threads and posts on here arguing against it but the shortest I’d go on a 5.56 is 10.3. 11.5 is a good balance as is 12.5. A true 14.5 is still decent but 16.1 OAL gets a bit longer than I prefer for GP use though many people don’t mind 16” barrels so more like 17” OAL.

I’m consolidating guns which is why I’m selling my 12.5. I’m active army and have to move around so AR pistol/NFA friendliness is less sure for me than people that are happily planted in red states, therefore I’ll always have some 14.5 pinned guns. Currently I have a 10.3 and 12.5 for shortties but that’s what I’m consolidating into 11.5. Bottom line being if I only had one AR, it’d be a 12.5 continuous tapered profile barrel of some sort in 5.56 with an MLOK rail and LPVO. Since I can have two, it’s a pinned 14.5 with LPVO and 11.5 with RDS.

All IMO, but I love the AR and and far more picky about it than most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I need to get one to play with DOPE and zeroing info in the event the next multi-agency class I help teach has a student with one. The round has been around long enough that I am sure some agencies are running them, and we have a lot of <10 officer agencies that tend to be early adopters of the everything because the have an advocate an little administration/training input. The first agency in the state to approve MRDS kn duty pistols was such an agency. Hence my resolve to get the kids lowers with 300BO kits if my Gov pushes her AWB agenda in the next year or two. And 6.5G. For the children.

pat

Site Supporter
    I would not buy a 300blk as your only AR in Sept. 2020 unless you are either (a) a multimillionaire or (b) sitting on a huge stockpile of small rifle primers and have the time to convert 556 brass. I put quite a bit of money into building what I thought to be the perfect 300blk and now it gathers a lot of dust.

Some Thoughts

It is FAR less problematic to get .223/5.56 ammo. I was encountering 1-box- and 3-boxes-per-customer limits, which morphed into unavailable/back-ordered. 60 rounds is the absolute minimum I would want, in order to vet just one magazine, for just that one bullet configuration. I’d rather have twice that much, or more, per mag. I shifted my attention to other ammo, and will re-visit 300 BLK after the current panic season. I may well install a 16” 5.56 upper, on my LAW-foldered DDM4 V7P’s lower, and put the DD’s 300 BLK upper in the back of the big safe.

Hand-loading is an option, of course, for 300 AAC/BLK users. I do not have a nice, peaceful, clean, peaceful, dry, peaceful space to work. As I understand it, components are not the easiest things to find, lately. Plus, I am the clumsy type, who tends to drop whole 5.56 cartridges, while loading mags. I’d better start my hand-loading experiments with something like .45-70 Government, using a hand-press that I can carry on a road trip, to a peaceful place. (I already bought the hand press, but have not completed the set-up.) Others’ mileage vary vary.

As for having an AR15, well, yes, because this is the United States of America. Because Lexington, Concord, and Ia Drang. Because P-F. Because if I come to the aid of a fallen LEO, or a fallen Guardsman/soldier, I want to know how to work his rifle, whether to secure it, clear it, or use it. (Consider traffic collisions, and such, not just criminal incidents.) Other battle-field pick-up and take-it-away-from-bad-guys scenarios come to mind.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I want a 11.5 or 12.5” 556 pistol to attach my (in NFA jail) surefire suppressor to in a bad way. A BCM seems like a no brainer. Now, where’s the best place to buy one?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I believe SBR's are a no go in WA State but pistols are GTG IIRC.
    Wrong. SBR's were legalized in 2014.

11.5" BCM uppers with a pinned & welded muzzle device have been real popular here in CT. Blasters with barrels over 12" when properly configured (pistol brace, forward vertical hand grip & OAL > 26") fit into the definition of an "other" and are not banned by the CT AW laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I want a 11.5 or 12.5” 556 pistol to attach my (in NFA jail) surefire suppressor to in a bad way. A BCM seems like a no brainer. Now, where’s the best place to buy one?
    I built a 12.5 for my new Turbo K. Not BCM, but it's fantastic. With the can mounted it's about an inch shorter than my 16" rifle.

BRT 12.5 barrel + A5 buffer system makes it a dream to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I built a 12.5 for my new Turbo K. Not BCM, but it's fantastic. With the can mounted it's about an inch shorter than my 16" rifle.

BRT 12.5 barrel + A5 buffer system makes it a dream to shoot.
    +1,000 for the A5 system. Smoother recoil impulse. Additionally something often overlooked, more gusto to return the bolt into battery. Not a significant factor for the hobbyist but if it is a lifesaving working gun it will keep your blaster running when other systems will choke on dirt and fouling.

Hammertime
    Hell yes! Love mine.

Edit: I am referring to the 11.5” and I see I am late to the love pile on. It’s amazing and my favorite upper.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Woah, all out of stock at BCM. This is crazy!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List