Thread: Shining light upon an Israeli spyware firm

Shining light upon an Israeli spyware firm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...yware-firm-nso

A 55-year-old political science professor based in Toronto might seem like an unlikely adversary for one of the world’s most controversial cyber-defence companies.

But as one of the foremost experts on surveillance techniques used by authoritarian regimes and head of the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto, Ron Deibert has been engaged in a stealthy cat and mouse game with NSO Group, the Israeli spyware company, for years.

Deibert and his team have used their novel research techniques – “pretty complex stuff” as Deibert describes them – to help expose how dozens of journalists, human rights activists, and senior government officials have allegedly been targeted by governments around the world who use NSO’s software to hack phones.

While NSO has insisted that its hacking software is only meant to be used by law enforcement officials to track down terrorists and other criminals , Deibert and his team have painted a different picture.

Citizen Lab’s investigations have alleged that Pegasus, NSO’s hacking software, appears to have been used against dozens of journalists, including a New York Times reporter who wrote a book about Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a staff member at Amnesty International, and an imprisoned activist in the UAE, Ahmed Mansoor, among others.

“We’ve seen repeatedly, and it’s an often overlooked element of this type of digital surveillance: the fear that an autocrat across the other side of the planet could be inside your very home, inside your pocket. It’s really disturbing,” Deibert said.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

Me either.

This is news, why?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is news, why?
    I guess I don't get out much. I don't see anything wrong posting it here.
    #RESIST

Not anything wrong, I guess.....rather, I just wish I was clever enough to write an article about something that seems plainly obvious and get paid for it.

Governments buy technology to spy on their dissidents? I mean, say it isn't so. Shocking revelation, I say!

I should write an article stating that people need water and oxygen to survive. If it helps fund an FNC, it's a worthy endeavor...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Student
    Edward Snowden mentioned them on his most recent JRE appearance. He said that if you get a phishing attempt via SMS or email on your phone you can send it to them and they'll study it.

I liked the article. Nothing wrong at all.

That said, I have #1, a suspicious nature, and #2, a relative who works in cyber security for a company not of US origin. So I view mobile devices as having the privacy of doing jumping jacks naked in your front picture window, and Israeli security as having the pragmatism of Wesley Snipes’ character in “New Jack City.” I thought it shined a light mostly on the savvy of polite Canadians.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...If it helps fund an FNC, it's a worthy endeavor...
    This is the most painfully obvious thing ever posted on P-F.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    and an imprisoned activist in the UAE, Ahmed Mansoor, among others.
    https://www.csid.com/2016/09/macs-at...urity-granted/

I remember that Mansoor story when it broke a few years ago. State level actors paying big bucks for zero day exploits to target individuals isn't new, but the how and why is always interesting.

Also stagefright (mentioned in the csid link) was probably the first nail in the coffin for android (for me, anyway).

User Tag List