Thread: Week 390: Consistency

Week 390: Consistency

Week 390: Consistency

Results may be posted until October 18th, 2020.

Designed By: Gabe White
    Range: 25 yards
    Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: Varies

This drill works on maintaining the level of accuracy established in slowfire, but when working from the holster, which adds a little complication even if there is no specific time limit involved.

String 1: First, establish a baseline of accuracy. Set up a B8 at 25 yards. For the purposes of the drill, only hits to the black bull (9-ring or better) count. Shoot at it slowfire, going for pure accuracy, until you either miss the black bull or get ten consecutive hits. If you miss on the first shot, repeat until you hit at least once. This number is your pure accuracy baseline and will be the number of consecutive hits you are trying to equal or exceed in String 2.

String 2: Next, try to equal or exceed that level of consistency, but drawing from the holster. Set up another B8 at 25 yards. Draw from the holster and fire one shot at it. Repeat (drawing from the holster for EVERY shot) until you miss the black bull. If you get more than ten consecutive hits in String 2, you don't have to stop - if you are still hitting, you can keep going until you feel like stopping. The goal is to equal or exceed the number of consecutive hits in String 1.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used
    Number of consecutive hits in String 1
    Number of consecutive hits in String 2
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Cz p09 kadet 22 lr
    Jm custom aiwb 2.5

Hits from the ready - 1

Hits from the holster - 1

Crapped out early on this one. First drill cold.

Name:  20200919_105457.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  22.6 KB
    Slow fire

Name:  20200919_105703.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  23.4 KB
    Holster
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

5" m&p 2.0 w/ 1.0 core upper and holosun 407v2
    Dsg Orion

Hits slow fire - 2

Hits from holster - 2

Broke the shot a touch to the right of the wobble during string 1, ending that string. There 3rd shot from the holster was a big ole yank and a miss. The draw times for the hits were 2.78 and 2.55.

Name:  20200919_114102.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  34.7 KB
    Bottom slow fire. Top from the holster.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

PX4CC, JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 under a polo shirt.

25 yards -
    String 1: 1 hit (after 3 misses)
    String 2: 0

I’ve observed lately that I really struggle with the sights on this gun beyond 20 yards, so I decided to try it at the more manageable distance:

String 1: 4

Next time I’ll try it at 20 again.

Tried again at 20, same gear.

String 1: 1

This session I was experimenting with vision. My big problem is being nearsighted in my dominant eye, but it’s not strongly dominant, so I get a double image shooting smaller targets at a distance.

I ditched my usual bifocal contacts and just wore my astigmatism-corrected shooting glasses. The contacts have high magnification in my shooting eye but make the front sight a little blurry. Without the contacts I can see the front sight perfectly and the target is at least round, but blurry.

I don’t know if that’s why I shot crazy high on the B-8, but I did. I also did some ammo testing and didn’t have the same problem on targets with a strong horizontal line. Compare:

Name:  53B15E4D-CD6F-4A9D-A229-28F5B14B6D42.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  435B5BAA-A6E0-469D-BF04-AA932470F85F.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  31.4 KB

My group on the B-8 was good. (Though I clearly need a small windage adjustment.). But on this night, with these eyes, any hits on the bull were not the result of good marksmanship.

User Tag List