Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An option for new Hurst, Farrant, Rogers, etc. grip replicas?

Site Supporter

An option for new Hurst, Farrant, Rogers, etc. grip replicas?

https://www.precisiontargetpistolgri...Reproduce.html

This person will 3D scan your grips and make a 3D printed copy using wood/PLA composite. They even claim they can modify the scan to another model gun so you could, for instance, have a set of Rogers grips you love for your Python, duplicated for your K-frame.

I think a great project would be to make a catalog of 3D scans of the great vintage grips of yore. Then you could select your gun and input your grip measurements and have something ALMOST like guys used to get custom made back in the day.
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 09-17-2020 at 01:05 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks for finding that. I'm definitely sending in the Hogue I customized for my GPMC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    https://www.precisiontargetpistolgri...Reproduce.html

This person will 3D scan your grips and make a 3D printed copy using wood/PLA composite. They even claim they can modify the scan to another model gun so you could, for instance, have a set of Rogers grips you love for your Python, duplicated for your K-frame.

I think a great project would be to make a catalog of 3D scans of the great vintage grips of yore. Then you could select your gun and input your grip measurements and have something ALMOST like guys used to get custom made back in the day.
    This is a fascinating use of current tech, and relevant to my interests. Thanks for the link!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Thanks for finding that. I'm definitely sending in the Hogue I customized for my GPMC.
    I look forward to seeing the results!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Now that would be awesome.

Interesting; a set of grips/stocks that is externally GP100, and internally S&W K/L, would be very useful. (I think that I may have a long-lost twin, from whom I was separated at birth. This twin may have designed the original-pattern GP100 and SP101 grips.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My grip was delivered yesterday.

TL/DR: An absolute waste of time.

From my email to him:
    It is so bad, in so many ways, that I cannot imagine any system that looked at it and thought it would be acceptable, especially when that system also had the original available for comparison, will ever be able to produce something I would find satisfactory. I could spend an hour photographing, measuring, and writing up all of what's wrong. I really don't want to spend my time doing that.
    Fortunately, the guy refunded my Paypal first thing this morning.
    Not another dime.

My grip was delivered yesterday.

TL/DR: An absolute waste of time.

From my email to him:

Fortunately, the guy refunded my Paypal first thing this morning.
    Oh, that is terribly disappointing.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    That IS disappointing but looking at the photos on their website not surprising. It looks like the scans don't have enough resolution and the finished product comes out almost pixelated. I'm not impressed but and certainly no expert in the technology or its use.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    It looks like the scans don't have enough resolution and the finished product comes out almost pixelated.
    That's kind of inherent with the 3D printing with filament. One of many reasons the people who think it will one day replace mass production are smoking crameth.

I was expecting that. It was the goofy geometry of the part and not even kinda fitting the gun right. A basic dimension was off by 0.18 inch.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List