Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vickers tactical fourth edition exclusive glock 19 - plastic guide rod?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's a very cool pistol.

I didn't have good results when I tried the TD extended slide catch or the TD/Vickers magazine releases. I moved the slide catch across a multiple pistols and it would lock the slide back during strings of fire before the mag was empty - on multiple pistols. And I was aware of the pro tips to bend tweak the mag catch a certain way to tune it. But I like another pro tip which was to not use an aftermarket part I had to tune when I never had to with OEM parts. YMMV

And on a G26 and G19 I removed the TD magazine releases after I kept finding my inserted magazine "unlocked" and ready to fall out carried IWB at 3:30. Never happened with the same TD part on a couple of G17s so I left those in. My theory was the full sized 17 grip prevented pressure on that button when seated.

That was across the same holsters carrying all three models. I get that holster design can be a factor to prevent that but I valued those holsters a lot higher than the aftermarket part so they came out of the smaller guns.

YMMV
    Good to know! I will be on the look out for these issues. I think I will be shooting it tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Good to know! I will be on the look out for these issues. I think I will be shooting it tommorow.
    Enjoy! I have a RTF2 G19 that has just been spectacular. I'm a big fan of RTF2 with a 17 and 22 as well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's a very cool pistol.

I didn't have good results when I tried the TD extended slide catch or the TD/Vickers magazine releases. I moved the slide catch across a multiple pistols and it would lock the slide back during strings of fire before the mag was empty - on multiple pistols. And I was aware of the pro tips to bend tweak the mag catch a certain way to tune it. But I like another pro tip which was to not use an aftermarket part I had to tune when I never had to with OEM parts. YMMV

And on a G26 and G19 I removed the TD magazine releases after I kept finding my inserted magazine "unlocked" and ready to fall out carried IWB at 3:30. Never happened with the same TD part on a couple of G17s so I left those in. My theory was the full sized 17 grip prevented pressure on that button when seated.

That was across the same holsters carrying all three models. I get that holster design can be a factor to prevent that but I valued those holsters a lot higher than the aftermarket part so they came out of the smaller guns.

YMMV
    I've heard of other similar issues with the TD extended slide release; I believe it's a spring issue; easy solution is simply to replace with the Glock extended slide release, which is what I automatically put on all of my Glocks.

Similarly, with the magazine release, just use the OEM Glock regular or extended magazine release (the extended does have some sharp corners, which hasn't been an issue for me in actual use {and unless your woried about compliance with IDPA rules, etc, you can simply gently file round on the corners/edges})..At stated, using an extended magazine release can affect which holsters you can use, if the holster wall ends up exerting pressure on the release, it cna inadvertantly actuate the magazine release-not a good thing. It's not hard to select a holster who's wall doesn't affect the release area, but it may be a consideration that you fon't want to have to deal with.

For what it's worth, I'm currently running the Glock extended magazine release on both my Gen 3 G17 and G19, and generally like them. However, with them, if you place the gun left side down on a hard surface, like a desk or nightstand, pushing down on the pistol may inadvertantly activate the magazine release.

For Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks, there are some mid-length magazine releases out there designed at the specific behest of the FBI, as part of the FBI contract guns, but they're very difficult to get a hold of one, even from Glock LEO reps (oddly, the Gen4 mid-length is easy to get, even commercially).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    It's fine.

The gun has a polymer guide rod - so what? It also has a polymer frame.

If that bothers you, maybe an all steel construction, including frame and fire control, would solve that worry.

Site Supporter
    My RTF2 G17 (with fish gill slide serrations) was my USPSA Limited Minor gun for a few years, and before that I carried it AIWB, at the cost of several shirts. It was great in the OWB competition role.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    My RTF2 G17 (with fish gill slide serrations) was my USPSA Limited Minor gun for a few years, and before that I carried it AIWB, at the cost of several shirts. It was great in the OWB competition role.
    I have the same gun/had the same experience. Ruined the liner of a very nice lightweight parka. Great for OWB though.

RTF2 is my favorite texture. If you or your clothing find it too aggressive, sandpaper is your friend....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    RTF2 is my favorite texture. If you or your clothing find it too aggressive, sandpaper is your friend....
    Exactly why I wish most almost all guns came with more aggressive texture that was also placed up higher/over more real estate. While stippling takes some skill and patience, sand papering sharp areas down takes none of the former and little of the latter.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I ran 50 rounds of 124gr +P HST and 120 rounds of handloads through the pistol Saturday and had no issues with the Tango Down slide release ar anything else for that matter. It ran great and I shot it better than I did the Gen 4 G19 I sold to help purchase this one.

I love the sights! My old eyes can really see that front sight! Getting on target was a cinch. The grip texture is very nice too.

I put an Apex Flat trigger in it and a minus connector. Shoots like a dream. I think it's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    All Glock 19's Gen 1-3 have plastic guide rods. Nothing to worry about there. Rejoice that you have an RTF2 frame, as they're awesome.
    I could swear that the two USED Glock 17's I bought in the early 1980's did not have captured recoil springs like this Gen 3. I remember them as having some sort of metalic guide rod and round wire spring. I have always thought they were Gen 1 but who knows? Now that I am in my 60's my "remember" function is flawed ....

User Tag List