Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vickers tactical fourth edition exclusive glock 19 - plastic guide rod?

Vickers tactical fourth edition exclusive glock 19 - plastic guide rod?

Picked one of these up last night. Seems to be a solid pistol. I love the sights and the grip texture.

This is my first Gen 3 Glock. My other Glocks have been Gen 1 or Gen 4. This one has a plastic return spring guide rod. Are these good to go or do I need to change it out to something else? Any other issues I need to address?

Aside from that the pistol is pretty cool and I an anxious to get it out to the range! Here is a description of it I swiped off the internet:

LIPSEY’S AND VICKERS TACTICAL FOURTH EDITION EXCLUSIVE GLOCK 19
    This Glock 19 has the popular Vickers customization. The Full Flat Dark Earth Vickers Tactical G G19’s feature the RTF2 frames along with Tango Down extended slide catch, mag release and magazine base plate. A matching FDE grip plug with integral GLOCK tool is also included. The front sight is a green/yellow tritium Ameriglo Pro I-DOT with the Wilson Combat U-Notch rear.

The RTF2 is an aggressive texture that was featured for only a few years on Gen 3 Glocks.
    This pistol has several GLOCK parts that are produced by Tango Down and Wilson Combat. Tango Down made the Vickers Tactical Slide Release, Magazine Catch, and Magazine Base Plates. Wilson Combat produces the Vickers Tactical Battle Sights that include a plain rear U-notch and tritium front sight. This pistol has the LAV (Larry Vickers) serial number to make it that much more special.

Here are some pics:

Name:  1617512.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  3099673.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  8822107.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  27.6 KB
    Last edited by 4given; 09-17-2020 at 09:51 AM.

All Glock 19's Gen 1-3 have plastic guide rods. Nothing to worry about there. Rejoice that you have an RTF2 frame, as they're awesome.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

The recoil spring guide is made of Zytel, originally at the behest of a LEO who wanted Glock's assurances that they could fire 1,000 rounds consecutively through a Glock without the guide melting and losing structural integrity. Glock then standardized it throughout the Gen 3 RSA production line. As I recall, they're ID'd by a "1" on the guide flange.

Of course, what begs the question is the need to fire 1K rounds consecutively through a pistol in the first place (other than maybe a Glock 18), but what the heck. We now have bombproof Gen 3 RSAs...

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    The rtf grip is great a bit rough to carry IWB in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    All Glock 19's Gen 1-3 have plastic guide rods. Nothing to worry about there. Rejoice that you have an RTF2 frame, as they're awesome.
    I wish I could buy a Gen5 with RTF2.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

So Glock kept the RTF mold in case of orders, or is the pattern applied like stippling?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I wish I could buy a Gen5 with RTF2.
    I'd take a G48 with RTF2.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    So Glock kept the RTF mold in case of orders, or is the pattern applied like stippling?
    Mine is molded from the factory. I think mine was made around 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    The rtf grip is great a bit rough to carry IWB in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I probably won't be carrying this one IWB. I like the G19 for OWB with a cover garment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Picked one of these up last night. Seems to be a solid pistol. I love the sights and the grip texture.

This is my first Gen 3 Glock. My other Glocks have been Gen 1 or Gen 4. This one has a plastic return spring guide rod. Are these good to go or do I need to change it out to something else? Any other issues I need to address?

Aside from that the pistol is pretty cool and I an anxious to get it out to the range! Here is a description of it I swiped off the internet:

LIPSEY’S AND VICKERS TACTICAL FOURTH EDITION EXCLUSIVE GLOCK 19
    This Glock 19 has the popular Vickers customization. The Full Flat Dark Earth Vickers Tactical G G19’s feature the RTF2 frames along with Tango Down extended slide catch, mag release and magazine base plate. A matching FDE grip plug with integral GLOCK tool is also included. The front sight is a green/yellow tritium Ameriglo Pro I-DOT with the Wilson Combat U-Notch rear.

The RTF2 is an aggressive texture that was featured for only a few years on Gen 3 Glocks.
    This pistol has several GLOCK parts that are produced by Tango Down and Wilson Combat. Tango Down made the Vickers Tactical Slide Release, Magazine Catch, and Magazine Base Plates. Wilson Combat produces the Vickers Tactical Battle Sights that include a plain rear U-notch and tritium front sight. This pistol has the LAV (Larry Vickers) serial number to make it that much more special.

Here are some pics:

Name:  1617512.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  3099673.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  8822107.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  27.6 KB
    It's a very cool pistol.

I didn't have good results when I tried the TD extended slide catch or the TD/Vickers magazine releases. I moved the slide catch across a multiple pistols and it would lock the slide back during strings of fire before the mag was empty - on multiple pistols. And I was aware of the pro tips to bend tweak the mag catch a certain way to tune it. But I like another pro tip which was to not use an aftermarket part I had to tune when I never had to with OEM parts. YMMV

And on a G26 and G19 I removed the TD magazine releases after I kept finding my inserted magazine "unlocked" and ready to fall out carried IWB at 3:30. Never happened with the same TD part on a couple of G17s so I left those in. My theory was the full sized 17 grip prevented pressure on that button when seated.

That was across the same holsters carrying all three models. I get that holster design can be a factor to prevent that but I valued those holsters a lot higher than the aftermarket part so they came out of the smaller guns.

YMMV
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List