Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Minneapolis city council shocked to see rise in crime

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t think frequent political assassinations perpetrated by groups ranging from crazy loners to multinational conglomerates would do our nation any good either. I understand where you’re coming from but politicians could equally be targeted for passing laws that you agree with as well. Like any situation if there are specific threats I don’t really have a problem with protective details at the moment, though I do recoil at the hypocrisy of many of these politicians. However, I also don’t want us to become like Mexico where the lifespan of a tough on crime mayor is measured in weeks from when they announce their candidacy.

For now I would prefer we try to keep politicians alive and vote them out of office rather than the alternative.
    I grew up neighboring Mexico. I would not want that either, especially watching what it has become in the last 15-18 years. I would never want to see political assassinations regardless if I was for or against something as it would completely undermine the republic which many have died for. I will agree that nothing is black and white and I can see certain situations where small detail might be necessary if there is a legitimate threat, but that is a slippery slope someone would have to make that call and that just leads to more officials and more bureaucracy. Lastly I most certainly agree to the lot being voted out. I hope that my post was not perceived as being for any of what you mentioned, it was not intended as such.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I grew up neighboring Mexico. I would not want that either, especially watching what it has become in the last 15-18 years. I would never want to see political assassinations regardless if I was for or against something as it would completely undermine the republic which many have died for. I will agree that nothing is black and white and I can see certain situations where small detail might be necessary if there is a legitimate threat, but that is a slippery slope someone would have to make that call and that just leads to more officials and more bureaucracy. Lastly I most certainly agree to the lot being voted out. I hope that my post was not perceived as being for any of what you mentioned, it was not intended as such.
    I didn’t think you were advocating for violence at all in your posts. I was just looking at possible unforeseen consequences. Assassinations used to be far more common in our country including some carried out by anarcho-communists and I’m glad that we’ve seen less of these days.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I lol'd. The mental image of some 23 y/o sociology major
    I've seen those in action working for Children's Services and buying every bullshit story that every drug addict mom told them. You don't have to wonder why kids end up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I used to work with a guy who'd been a paramedic in St. Louis before coming to Ft. Riley's ambulance service. He used to talk about getting dispatched to a "chest pain" run and the guy was shot in the chest. Technically correct, as it probably hurt.
    Our FD had a rescue squad use the radio code for "send the police right the fuck now!", which was supposed to generate that response without question. The dispatcher quizzed them over the air about why they needed PD.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Pledge to dismantle police collapses in Minneapolis

In interviews this month, about two dozen elected officials, protesters and community leaders described how the City Council members’ pledge to “end policing as we know it” — a mantra to meet the city’s pain — became a case study in how quickly political winds can shift, and what happens when idealistic efforts at structural change meet the legislative process and public opposition.

Cathy Spann, a community activist who works in North Minneapolis, which is home to many of the city’s Black residents, said that those paying the price for the city’s political paralysis were the exact communities that leaders had pledged to help. She is in favor of more police officers.

“They didn’t engage Black and brown people,” Spann said, referring to the City Council members. “And something about that does not sit right with me. Something about saying to the community, ‘We need to make change together,’ but instead you leave this community and me unsafe.”

https://news.yahoo.com/pledge-disman...155801253.html
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    $4,500/day. 365 days in a year. I know they say math is racist, but that equals $1,642,500.
    There are three of them. Security costs more than their salaries combined. Unless they make more than I think they do
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 09-27-2020 at 07:46 AM.

User Tag List