Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Police arrest man for "brandishing" after BLM rioters surround his house

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    We can play the “what if” game, but are you and the others harping on this particular point really going to ignore the context of the original situation in order to make your point?

I know what the threshold for the threat of deadly force or use of is...

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Now while I may not condone the perhaps premature muzzling, if you’re going to tell me with a straight face you wouldn’t at least have your fighting gear together I’ll say you’re full of shit
    Not sure what your issue is as it seems like we're on the same page on the use of deadly force/pointing a firearm and I didn't quote you in particular to begin with.

That said, I don't think "nitpicking" is the right term when discussing the nuances of decision making that can send the reader to jail or not. I'm not ignoring the context, I've worked in this context. Nothing known in the context would justify pointing a firearm, yet "molotov" and "riot" have already appeared in the thread despite the complete absence of both.

But since you quoted me, the crowd would have no idea if I had my "fighting gear together" or not. My favorite response to a residential protest, which was from a public figure, was to call the police and then go to church. I have a bug out bag. I have a family who doesn't need to be exposed to this sort of noisy idiocy. So, no, my plan is not similar to the thread's original hero of posturing with a gun. My plan is to call the police and once they arrive get my family to a different location.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Protesting or otherwise targeting someone’s home is inherently provocative.

It's also inherently legal under the First Amendment. If they are not trespassing or otherwise committing a crime they can picket the sidewalk to their heart's content.

The Bill of Rights is a thing despite what both sides think.

Tangent: I guess what perplexes me the most about this situation is not that we're seeing a block party thrown to annoy a jerky neighbor, but that we've not seen a bunch of block parties in the past to annoy convicted sex offenders of minors. If I look at my state registry, I can find literally dozens of middle aged males who have been proven in a court of law to have severely messed up the lives of kids. I live within half a mile of an elementary school, a middle school, and at least 4 daycare/after school facilities. I would think if a bunch of folks were gonna get riled up to let someone know they were not welcome in the neighborhood, that would spring to my mind before I got to my neighbor who has annoying speech/yard work habits...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Tangent: I guess what perplexes me the most about this situation is not that we're seeing a block party thrown to annoy a jerky neighbor, but that we've not seen a bunch of block parties in the past to annoy convicted sex offenders of minors. If I look at my state registry, I can find literally dozens of middle aged males who have been proven in a court of law to have severely messed up the lives of kids. I live within half a mile of an elementary school, a middle school, and at least 4 daycare/after school facilities. I would think if a bunch of folks were gonna get riled up to let someone know they were not welcome in the neighborhood, that would spring to my mind before I got to my neighbor who has annoying speech/yard work habits...
    There's some level of virtue signaling with this sort of protest. You generally don't have to signal you are against sex offenders and the actions to make them unwelcome in a neighborhood tend to be less...festive. Sometimes covert, sometimes overt, I've seen neighbors take steps but never saw an actual 'go away' party. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a thing at some point, though, as residential protesting of non-public figures gets more coverage in the media and the good idea fairy takes it to new groups.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Lol! Except liberals are only brave when in large groups or behind a keyboard. I’d be shocked if any single person in that crowd would have said anything to the resident if alone no matter how egregious the residents behavior.
    Just been reading this thread, but to this post - Been there and done that. Said big mouth hushed up and went away.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    It's also inherently legal under the First Amendment. If they are not trespassing or otherwise committing a crime they can picket the sidewalk to their heart's content.

The Bill of Rights is a thing despite what both sides think.

I understand and agree with your explanation. However, I have a question that - unless I missed it (including rereading the actual text of the 1st Amendment) - hasn't been addressed yet. OK, here's my hypothetical situation: There are legally gathered people in front of my house, which is located in a residential neighborhood. That would place them a maximum of 10 yards from my front door.
    We've always kept our windows & doors open whenever weather permits, but even if we were to close them in this hypothetical situation, the nearness of them to our home would render closing everything virtually useless, even to a guy like me with diminished hearing. Knowing all that, just how loud can these people, who are utilizing their freedom of the 1st Amendment, be? I'm asking this because in the 20 + years we've lived here, there have been some noisy "conversations" with only raised voices (no shouting/chanting) which have been very disruptive. Thankfully, they were short-lived and non-violent. And, I'm sure increasing the distance between the sidewalk/street would be but a minor improvement. Guess I coulda just asked: "How loud can they be?" - but I just finished an ill-advised 2nd cup of coffee.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Given recent events, I understand the homeowners decision to arm. The news and social media is full of violent content.

I wasn’t there, so I am guessing. I personally would have felt threatened by a large crowd with bullhorns and flashlights.

On the flip side, displaying Trump signs is rather like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I haven’t done too much background on this topic, but the individual seems to have a history.

These “protesters” are not rational by any means. There is definitely a double standard with regard to declaring one’s political affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I understand and agree with your explanation. However, I have a question that - unless I missed it (including rereading the actual text of the 1st Amendment) - hasn't been addressed yet. OK, here's my hypothetical situation: There are legally gathered people in front of my house, which is located in a residential neighborhood. That would place them a maximum of 10 yards from my front door.
    We've always kept our windows & doors open whenever weather permits, but even if we were to close them in this hypothetical situation, the nearness of them to our home would render closing everything virtually useless, even to a guy like me with diminished hearing. Knowing all that, just how loud can these people, who are utilizing their freedom of the 1st Amendment, be? I'm asking this because in the 20 + years we've lived here, there have been some noisy "conversations" with only raised voices (no shouting/chanting) which have been very disruptive. Thankfully, they were short-lived and non-violent. And, I'm sure increasing the distance between the sidewalk/street would be but a minor improvement. Guess I coulda just asked: "How loud can they be?" - but I just finished an ill-advised 2nd cup of coffee.
    It'll vary from area to area, and likely the time of day as well as many noise ordinances are more strict during the nighttime hours. Here if it is day time, they are not using a voice amplifier (ie bullhorn or PA of any kind) and are actually engaged in 1st amendment type activity they are *probably* within the noise ordinances. Non-1st amendment activity (say, motorcycle racing) has less protection for noise. Night time has less protection.

Then there's what's actually enforced. Religious activities do not have an exemption for the amplifier rule but is historically overlooked here, even in residentials.

BB answered better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Given recent events, I understand the homeowners decision to arm. The news and social media is full of violent content.

I wasn’t there, so I am guessing. I personally would have felt threatened by a large crowd with bullhorns and flashlights.
    Indeed, but one can be armed without brandishing through the window.

User Tag List