Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Real life friends who are idiots on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I seem to be that person...

PS: Why is the "midwest" in the eastern half of the continental US?

I am pretty tame on FB, and in real life too--but this particular issue bothers me to no end, and no one else really seems to care nearly as much as I do!

It makes absolutely no sense, and even if it did make sense at some point--150+ years ago, why would we continue to use it? Moving from the west (CA) to Colorado (which is sorta centralish but at least reasonably could be considered mid-westish) did nothing to clear up the confusion.

Back on topic: I too have that one FB friend who goes off on cringy rants. He's a good guy. Years ago I got him into IDPA. He retired and moved to NH to be part of some conservative utopia which never really went anywhere. Thankfully, it's only occasional, but when he gets triggered I just wonder what my other friends think.

Site Supporter
    Facebook has (unintentionally) provided a way to filter out people who don’t really belong in your life. If people are extremists or totally driven by emotion and not reason, I don’t need to voluntarily associate with them.

I’ve only had to unfriend about four people and they were all peripheral acquaintances and not friends.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    From an article I was reading today:

“Although Twitter and Facebook have become more active in removing or flagging misinformation, inflammatory and divisive content is too essential to their business models for them to fully root it out.”

Sounds about right. More outrage = more views = more advertising revenue. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
    Even that drives more posting, with lots of "FB took this down" type post.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I solved the problem of IRL friends and Facebook by not having either.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    True dat, but I haven't made any friends here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Me neither. My friends in law enforcement call that a clue.
    Just for that I’m going to add you two to my ‘friends list” or what ever it’s called on here.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I solved the problem of IRL friends and Facebook by not having either.

Just for that I’m going to add you two to my ‘friends list” or what ever it’s called on here.
    Thanks, I guess.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I've got some friends on Facebook who are there to literally remind of just how good my life actually is. These people are just complete train wrecks that provide me with the quality entertainment I can only find on late night Springer reruns. And I'm not sorry about it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    If you have the time, the new documentary on Netflix called the social dilemma is worth the watch.
    I watched this last weekend and really enjoyed it. As someone who works in the tech industry and sees first hand how much data can be collected and mined, I find most of what was presented to be credible.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    I watched this last weekend and really enjoyed it. As someone who works in the tech industry and sees first hand how much data can be collected and mined, I find most of what was presented to be credible.
    It's rather telling that many CEOs and higher ups in these tech fields like Steve Jobs and those in the documentary don't allow their children to have smart phones or social media.

One that I read about elsewhere didn't even have the internet in his home.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Social media will be our undoing in many levels. Knowing ore than we ever should about what goes on in the minds of our own friends is one of them.

I’m sure I’ve shared this story before...

In the early 2000s I started shooting with a local IDPA club. It was great. Everyone got along, but then we really only saw each other on average 2x a month and even then it was hard to hold a conversation what with the ear protection and loud noises and all. This was also something like club #2 of all IDPA clubs.

Then they added a forum to the club website.

Turns out, every single one of them (us?) was a complete and utter nutbag. One was an insane militia type (who I hear now lives in the woods with others of his ilk). One was a disgraced former pool company tractor who turned out to be lying about being a lawyer. Some were even democrats! Then some folks started using the forum to air club dirty Lau dry, rallying other dipshits to their cause, creating strife where heretofore there had been none. People were suddenly indignant about issues they didn’t even know existing 6 months prior.

All of a sudden, we all knew way too much about one another. Everyone was great friends on the range and at the bar afterwards, where the limited opportunities for communication pretty much limited our talk to the subject we all had in common (shooting), but once we had broader access to the opinions and thoughts of one another. The club very nearly imploded!

I have several close friends that I keep on “ignore” on facebook. For one thing, I’m rather embarrassed for them about the volume of their posts, and for another the content of said posts can be equally embarrassing, and for a third the fact that they seem to think that their rants in Facebook are having any sort of positive outcome is perhaps the most embarrassing.
    I've been on a boat or at my cabin for a week or ten days now and so haven't participated much but I think this post is pretty bang on. It's surprising just how toxic lots of people's internal monologue seems to be. My mom is a bit of a nutcase on FB, actually...she seems to spend a lot of time arguing with random strangers and it's much more vitriolic than I'd have guessed.

I joined the local group for the little town where I live now and rapidly realized it was a mistake...it's all housewives karenning and sniping at each other. I think I find it weird because I'm pretty much "what you see is what you get" and I don't think people who know me in person find my online presence at all surprising. And I think people who know me online probably aren't surprised when they meet me in person. You get what you get and I try to keep my social media presence tuned to a fair representation of who I am, I guess with the exception that for a long time, I was playing in gnarly rock bands etc and as such spent a lot of time in scummy bars and just openly choosing to go stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things and I tried not to let on about any of that online, just in case. Now I don't do that stuff so much and ironically I am more inclined to just admit that I'm a well-meaning, mild train wreck of a human being.

Anyway I do think the above descripition is just 100% right...you take perfectly reasonable in-person people and hook a loudspeaker up to their brains and wow, pretty ugly stuff in there.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    He has an encyclopedic knowledge of music, particularly the 50s through the 70s, not just the billboard top 100 of the day but every B-side of every Chess recording, every experimental record like Electric Mud... One day I was suddenly seized with a desire to hear a song I knew fairly well (I can't even remember what it was right now) but with more pronounced female backup vocals so I called him and he immediately just said "Oh the Ronettes (or something, I forget who for the life of me) recorded that in '57, it's on Youtube."
    I know absolutely nobody cares but this has been bugging me ever since I wrote this and I went back through three years of google search history so I could find out what the hell song I was talking about.

It was Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky and I had wanted to hear it with more female vocals and a more gospel sound for some reason. I don't know why, that was just what I wanted to hear at the time. I remembered wanting to hear a really big sounding version...the original I think is almost perfect but I always wish that the gospel-sounding backups were louder. I really like a female chorus that's just overwhelmingly loud and immersive so I guess that's what I relayed to this guy.

He knew off the top of his head that Dorothy Combs Morrison had recorded a version and that it could be found on youtube. It wasn't exactly what I was after because really I just wanted the original to be even more orchestral sounding, or maybe symphonic is the word I'm looking for there. But it was crazy to me that when I said I wanted that song, more female gospel vocals, he knew instantly that a particular gospel singer had recorded it and that it was on youtube. And it is quite a good version.

Anyway again I realize this is not that interesting for anyone else but it has been driving me crazy for ages and I have been trying to find it in my search history for weeks and I finally did and now I'm okay.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List