Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 9mm going fast

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My memory isn't that great.

Were things this bad after Sandy Hook and/or Vegas??
    I remember 5.56 being $1/rd. I don't know what 9 mm was because I didn't shoot it at that time. It was a lesson not soon forgotten. If you don't reload you loose. Doesn't matter what cartridge you shoot.

I just loaded some 9 mm. I think about 0.15/rd from memory and I have lots of components.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-11-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My memory isn't that great.

Were things this bad after Sandy Hook and/or Vegas??
    I think this is worse because the riot driven panic caught the ammunition supply chain already very empty from the spring Covid panic, and the extended manufacturing shutdown that only recently ended for most of the producers, so inventories had not recovered and we are basically missing several months of production in 2020 on top of the two phase panic buying.

Site Supporter
    I was thinking that since 22 LR was going at 18 to 20 cents a round, might the standard competitions move to 22LR for the time being. I wouldn't mind shooting a match with one as compared to spending so much money. I shot steel challenge with 22 and that was fun.

Trigger time is trigger time.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I think this is worse because the riot driven panic caught the ammunition supply chain already very empty from the spring Covid panic, and the extended manufacturing shutdown that only recently ended for most of the producers, so inventories had not recovered and we are basically missing several months of production in 2020 on top of the two phase panic buying.
    That makes more sense than most theories I've read. Mostly people just blame it on hoarding but we just went thru a period of really low ammo prices after Trump was elected, so waiting for the next election might not be a good business plan unless you have warehouse space.

I just talked to my doc and he said they were shut down for a month at the hospital. Everyone took a hit. Panic will deplete toilet paper and ammo alike.

It's made the national news.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-gun-sale...-floyd-1538669
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-13-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I've been speculating for a while that the suppliers that are able to keep inventory and are charging the higher end of prices are having to pay a pretty penny to get the inventory to start with. Then throw in that the bigger stores like Academy and our local farm store chain aren't scalping the crap out of folks because they have other stuff to offset the money they're not making on ammo/guns. The online guys that ONLY sell guns/ammo have to make enough to keep the lights on.

I've gotten roped into trying to help my folks find some ammo. They just bought handguns and I get them set up with a few hundred rounds each, plus enough HST at pre panic prices to last them several years. Ball ammo, that's another story. I've ordered them some, average around $.50.

I myself still won't pay over about .30-.35/round on 9mm. My job puts me all over the place enough that I can stop in every Tom, Dick, and Harry joint along the way. This month I picked up 750 rounds of Browning, Winchester, and Aguila between two Academy locations in two days. 250 rounds of Federal Syntech last week from the small LGS, and then 250 rounds of Tula today from the same store. Average, if I calculated right, on all of the above was .28. Syntech was the highest at around .33.

Inside baseball from some dialed in people in a position to know: Federal currently has capacity to product 5 million small pistol primers per day. Current orders are at a demand level of 30 million per day. Small primers, of course, are used in most 9mm rounds.

Industry people I know point to a minimum 12 month period to get out from under back orders, potential political changes notwithstanding.

Also, I’m told that Remington hasn’t produced ammunition since about March, and won’t resume building ammo until March 2021, with their bankruptcy and division selloffs.

So, it’s not improving soon, unfortunately. Those of us who have seen these patterns before are well prepared, but there are a lot of new people joint our ranks, stuck with $0.60 steelcase russky crap ammo.

User Tag List