Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster PA riots after clearly justified police shooting

Site Supporter

Lancaster PA riots after clearly justified police shooting

A police officer responding to a domestic disturbance shot a man who ran towards him with a knife, as shown in quickly released body camera footage. However, the left still rioted.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/14...ing-assailant/

Some news outlets are opining that this incident will cause many to question the BLM movement and the leftist politicians who support them. I hope they are right.

You and me both, Bill. It's mass insanity.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Student
    My understanding is that they put a stop to it pretty quickly. Lancaster might be blue but by way of blue-collar unions, I think.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/15/lancas...alleged-riots/

Also they got the beer bandit lady on misdemeanors too.

Remember, the bad guys are likely focusing their resources on the White House in a couple days.

Yeah I am probably like many here, scratching my head over this one.

Guy charges out of a house with a large knife, heads to you waving it up in the air. You have about 3 seconds to decide what to do. How about fucking shoot the guy if you can? Works for me.

I am genuinely puzzled if there is literally any situation, any situation at all, that in the mind of the average rioter protester justifies use of force. I guess not. Amazing. Simply amazing.

From the Post story:
    -------------------------------------
    Munoz’s family has said he suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and was off his medication at the time.

The officer involved in his shooting was responding to a 911 call placed by his mother, stating that Munoz was getting “aggressive” with her and trying to break into her home, police said.

Munoz was set to go to trial in October on charges he slashed four people last year.
    ------------------------------------
    I suspect that the spin is going to be that this was another case of police shooting a family member they'd been called to help. "We wanted you to help him, not shoot him!"

So: Subject with known mental illness, known to be off his meds, known to have a history of violence, being violent. That's a no-win situation. Was he even capable of being rational ? Of complying with verbal commands? Maybe not. Did he "deserve" to be shot? Maybe not.

But what options does a patrol officer have? We'd all like a truly effective nonlethal option that reliably stops moving armed irrational people. There isn't one.

In a better world, the subject would have been able to get medical help long before this episode, and the 911 call would never have happened. That's a worthy goal. But if the only emergency option is the police, and the only reliable tool they have is a firearm, people are going to be shot. The system was broken long before the officer stepped out of the car. Sometimes there is no good choice.

I understand people being angry, but the officer and the police department are the wrong target.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But what options does a patrol officer have? ... Sometimes there is no good choice. ...
    My sense is that there are quite a few people who don't really grasp the notion of having to make decisions where none of the choices are good, and you must pick the least bad. Especially, they can't really imagine making such a decision with the clock running.

Many people live a surprisingly long time without ever making a genuinely hard decision with significant consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post

Many people live a surprisingly long time without ever making a genuinely hard decision with significant consequences.
    Honest to God, the fact that our prosperity has produced entire societal segments of fluffy kitties is the root of a lot of issues. Concur.

We had a similar incident here in 2014.

18 year old schizophrenic with long-standing history of multiple calls to 911 every year. Parents called again stating that he was difficult to control and was attacking them with a screwdriver.

Very small town. Therefore Mutual Aid was called in right away. First officers get on the scene and tased the subject without any effect.

Now according to the family, one of the mutual Aid officers arrived, looked at the situation as soon as he walked in the door, said" we don't have time for this b******* ", then whipped out his pistol and shot the kid dead.

Of course the responding officers had a completely different take on things stating that the kid was attempting to stab an officer with that screwdriver, and had him pinned to the ground, the taser didn't work, and there was nothing else that could be done to save the officer who was on the ground getting ready to be stabbed, life.

Local District Attorney took a very liberal view on things and immediately was commenting on the TV that the officers should be charged before even getting all the information. He ended up convening a grand jury and did some weird things with that also. I believe he made the officers testify. To be honest I can't recall the exact specifics but I remember several law enforcement friends saying this is not how things are supposed to be done.

Ended up going to trial and the officers were acquitted.

There was some protests with people holding signs at intersections and such but certainly nothing like the violence we are seeing these days.

Site Supporter
    These people do not care about those killed by cops, or anyone else. It has nothing to do with what we know as right and wrong.

This is about destroying the system so “they” can rebuild society as it should be. They are modern day Communist and Nazis who use bored and angry people who have little meaning in their lives as their front line soldiers.

In the past I’ve generally refrained from using the term Communist and Nazi. Now I don’t see much difference between the forces of chaos of today, and those of the past. If you don’t think these people would round you up and act as the guards for the gulag or concentration camp, then you are truly unaware of the depths of the evil we face.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    These people do not care about those killed by cops, or anyone else. It has nothing to do with what we know as right and wrong.

This is about destroying the system so “they” can rebuild society as it should be. They are modern day Communist and Nazis who use bored and angry people who have little meaning in their lives as their front line soldiers.

In the past I’ve generally refrained from using the term Communist and Nazi. Now I don’t see much difference between the forces of chaos of today, and those of the past. If you don’t think these people would round you up and act as the guards for the gulag or concentration camp, then you are truly unaware of the depths of the evil we face.
    Troof.

User Tag List