Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: extra sub-compact 9mm pistol - recommendations

srobin
    If you can't make IWB carry work for you this may be worth a look: http://www.smartcarry.com/

Or this: http://www.flashbangholster.com/

came highly recommended from a female instructor contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

9mm sub comp.

I ccw the LC9. It coceals very well though I do not carry in pant pockets. It is great in jacket pockets and iwb carry.
    The LC9 has smooth lines and no snaging parts, shoots comfortably and accuratly.

CM9 vs LCP side by side

The entire post is here with more pics. Not my post or guns, but a good comparison shot Google turned up.

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/...-cm9-pics.html

I carry small pistols quite a bit and pocket carry very often. I've tried more than my fair share of them, found recoil to be brutal on most if the micro 380s. I've had good luck with Kahr pistols and the price of the CM9 is very competitive. I moved from an LCP to the CM9 for pocket carry as I can carry the CM9 just as easily as the LCP. It's a tight little gun, doesn't beat me to death and is a 9mm. That said I have been carrying a G26 for most of the summer in a custom Kydex pocket holster in baggy shorts. You can pocket carry a G26 with the right shorts and a good belt. It's a bit chunky but looks like a larger smart phone in my pocket. I'm too lazy to carry something bigger and have to constantly dress around the gun, if I have to do that I'll leave it and not bother. Easy pocket carry keeps me armed 90+% of the time while my much loved M&P45's sit in the range bag.

Eddy702
    An extra sub compact I would not recommend is the Sig Sauer P938 unless you had the time, money or skills to work on it. If it wasn't so unreliable it would still be my CCW.

(this review is cross posted on LF)

Features I liked were the good grip from the rough front checkering and Hogue grips. The safety was easy to hit during presentation. The P938 ejects magazines forcefully, laying the gun on its side and hitting the release will eject a full magazine completely from the well.

While it resembles a small 1911 the trigger doesn't move straight back, its hinged as you can see. Since I had neglected to practice dry firing before hitting the range, my initial shot groups at 7 yards were 1 inch or less but were often 5 inches high or low.

From 15 yards sitting, resting my arms on the table and taking my time I shot three, five-shot groups averaging 4.25 inches. By comparison the Glock 19 I just got will shoot those groups at 25 yards.

Carried AIWB with the six round magazine the gun printed even less than my SW 442. In my experience carrying AIWB there are two parts of the gun that will cause noticeable printing, the rear corner of the grip and the rear end of the slide. When I'm carrying a Glock those two corners make it obvious I'm packing, but when carrying a gun without a striker like the P938 or snubnose then the only printing is from the corner of the grip which can be mitigated with a holster that angles the grip into my waist, then the gun almost disappears.

Night sights were three tritium green dots all of the same size and intensity, which I had trouble distinguishing in low light. I felt that I'd line up the sights quicker if the front sight was a different color however if this might be a training issue since I don't have any experience shooting with night sights.

I sold it because I didn't want to spend money trying to fix it: Two light strikes and two FTF in less than three hundred rounds. Both FTF occurred with the last round of the seven round extended magazine, which I couldn't clear without locking the slide and dropping the magazine.

Do you think that the amount of play in the seven round magazine could be the cause?

Guts of the gun for those interested:
    http://s1247.photobucket.com/a.../gg640/GeddyMX/P938/

Quote Originally Posted by srobin View Post
    I recently purchased my first pistol, HK P2000SK. Love it! But I don't want to carry it on my person as in CCW. At the gun store today, I handled an extra compact Diamond Back 9mm pistol, really liked the feel, haven't shot it yet, but it will fit in my back pocket (as in completely disappear from sight). It's the right size and weight. Being a woman, and being that women's jeans do not have deep pockets, I was impressed. However I have yet to do any research into the reliability of a pistol of this size, brand etc. Read briefly several complaints about the DB not ejecting and miss-firing. Really want to find a solid gun, one that in an "ol' crap - I need a gun" situation, I won't be let down because of this failure or that failure. (Gun failure... how can these two words ever look right together?) Really could use input from more experienced folks who may already be carrying a super small 9mm. (really don't want to go smaller than a 9MM). Not concerned about price.. Reliability, size, then weight.
    Input & recommendations please.. and thank you.
    SRobin
    Please fire an M&P Shield. It isn't the perfect pocket carry pistol, particularly for women's jeans, but it is the perfect blend for a CCW in my opinion. I pocket carry mine occasionally and it does okay (for a guy with cargo shorts).

Agree with linkscoach. Just got a Shield and it's impressive.

User Tag List