Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: extra sub-compact 9mm pistol - recommendations

extra sub-compact 9mm pistol - recommendations

I recently purchased my first pistol, HK P2000SK. Love it! But I don't want to carry it on my person as in CCW. At the gun store today, I handled an extra compact Diamond Back 9mm pistol, really liked the feel, haven't shot it yet, but it will fit in my back pocket (as in completely disappear from sight). It's the right size and weight. Being a woman, and being that women's jeans do not have deep pockets, I was impressed. However I have yet to do any research into the reliability of a pistol of this size, brand etc. Read briefly several complaints about the DB not ejecting and miss-firing. Really want to find a solid gun, one that in an "ol' crap - I need a gun" situation, I won't be let down because of this failure or that failure. (Gun failure... how can these two words ever look right together?) Really could use input from more experienced folks who may already be carrying a super small 9mm. (really don't want to go smaller than a 9MM). Not concerned about price.. Reliability, size, then weight.
    Input & recommendations please.. and thank you.
    SRobin

What variant H&K do you have?

It may make it easier for you to transition between guns if you get something with a similar trigger (or just not something that is completely different).

Good Luck
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    What variant H&K do you have?

It may make it easier for you to transition between guns if you get something with a similar trigger (or just not something that is completely different).

Good Luck
    Ken

My HK is a V2. Good point on similar trigger.. will keep this in mind.

There seems to be quite a bit of talk about the S&W Shield. It's probably not going to disappear in your back pocket, but it is a bit thinner than the 2kSK you already have and S&W has solid CS/warranty should problems arise. You could also check out Kahr's CW/PM line for a true pocketable auto-loader. My girl IWB's a compact M&P9 which is comparable in size to your 2kSK.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

On this sight people take the practice with and implementation of firearms pretty seriously so please do not be offended by the responses you will soon get. They are for your benefit.

-By mentioning Diamondback as a gun you might want to carry, It is obvious you have done zero research and are ignorant of what reliability means in a pistol

- By mentioning you want to carry this in your back pocket, I can infer you have zero formal training and little to no experience actually carrying/using a handgun

-By choosing features like size & weight over reliability, effectiveness, & sights, you have not yet grasped the fullness of the responsibility of carrying a weapon

Do you really believe that in a split second situation where you may have to draw your weapon that a POS Diamondback 9mm drawn from your back pocket is the most effective way you can defend yourself. Keep in mind that when you fire a weapon, you are 100% responsible for every round that leaves that barrel. Diamondbacks have shit for sights. How do you intend on aiming at your threat? Let's say you do manage to get it out of your back pocket and fire it before some bad guy kills you, the combination of heavy recoil, lack of purchase, and shit sights will probably result in a miss. You may even unintentionally kill some innocent bystander. Also, that gives the bad guy more time to kill you. When you select a weapon that you intend to carry, fully knowing that you may have to use it to kill someone someday, you need to select a weapon with features that gives you the best chance at being successful. Factors like size & weight should be considered, but they should be considered last after reliability, capacity, caliber, sights, effectiveness, and quality holster selection have been determined. I am not bashing you in any way, but I get mad when people carry a gun with the attitude that it's just something small in their back pocket. It takes dedicated time and training and a focused mentality to effectively use a handgun and from what you've said so far, you possess none of those. The P2000sk is a fine weapon with a proven track record. It is easily concealible in an inside the waistband holster. My advice to you is to buy several thousand rounds of ammo for it, 5 or 6 extra mags, a quality holster, and get some beginner training from a reputable instructor and see just what actually goes into implementing a firearm in self defense.

I'll add that a quality IWB holster and belt will absolutely make the 2kSK disappear AND be comfortable for all day carry as my girl carries her S&W in a crossbreed super-tuck in a non-permissive (though legal) work environment 10-12hrs/day.

I am not a recoil shy individual, but firing a DB9 is a very unpleasant experience. They are also known to be unreliable. The smallest gun I own is a G26, but from what I've been told if you want to go smaller, something like a S&W Shield or Kahr PM9 would be much better than a Diamondback in every respect. If you have to have something even smaller, I would think a reliable .380 would be better than a POS 9mm, so probably a ruger lcp or something along those lines. If I am wrong someone please correct me. If I were you I would attempt to find a way to carry your p2000sk because that is a proper pistol. The money saved on another gun will go a good way to paying for a good belt, holster, and a case or two of ammo/training. A gun is no good if you cannot use it properly.

There are a few websites that have good information for women carrying, unfortunatly I don't know them but I'm sure someone here will supply that information. I know that women face carry issues that guys don't considering wardwrobe differences so I can understand wanting to find a small gun. Just make sure that you keep reliability and shootability as your priorities.
    Last edited by JConn; 06-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I was at the Gun Warehouse in Lexington and asked one of the clerks if I could put a couple of mags through his DB9...he said sure, and that he had put hundreds of rounds through it without a single problem and he had been carrying it in his pocket as his EDC. So took it out, sighted in, Bang! Nice shot dead center at 7yds...went to fire a second round and discovered the recoil spring had broken. My second experience was better with a friends DB9 as I didn't have any failures...but, he had 3 stovepipes in as many magazines. I attribute that, to him limp wristing the shots but, still doesn't build any confidence in the gun. I would never trust my life to a DB. If I was going to pocket carry I would likely go with a Kahr CM/PM9.

Have you tried a quality IWB holster for your HK? That plus, ammo, classes seems like a far better option than a cheap POS like a DB9 or PF9 IMO.

I have for many years carried small guns in my pockets. My current situation usually has a 9mm Kahr Arms PM9 with the Diamond finish and night sights in my pants pocket. I often carry two pistols and the second daily carry piece is a Ruger LCP in .380 auto. Both in Desantis Nemesis pocket holsters and both have a spare magazine. The PM9 is more expensive than many. If money was not an issue then I would replace the LCP with a Rohrbaugh 9mm pistol. Very small and very expensive and some say a spotty record but others think it is the best 9mm pocket rocket in the world.

Years ago I carried a small pistol in a Safariland wallet holster that had a leather back to simulate a wallet in the back pocket with a boned leather holster for my Baby Browning /Bauer arms .25 Auto on the reverse. I have since abandoned the idea of packing a .25 for social purposes but I did like that holster. Currently looking for something similar for the LCP.

It is true that packing a pistol for personal defense is a very serious subject and one that should not be taken lightly. There are many points in favor of a bigger pistol and a more conventional carry method. On the other hand any pistol is better than none and circumstances might well dictate restrictions on your options. As such do not be deterred from considering smaller pistols. Seriously consider your HK as a primary when possible with a good holster and belt. For those other times however let your circumstances dictate your needs and if you "need" a smaller gun vs. "want" a smaller gun then go for it.

As for the Diamondback 9mm minigun...In my case I have several friends that run pawnshops that sell the gun and they also use it as pocket medicine in their stores. They report that the guns they own have been reliable and accurate for them. Neither however are people that have a firearms hobby and I would wager their expectations would not be as high as mine. I have not bought one or tried one. I can not report how good or bad they might be. On the other hand my little KelTec P3AT does not have a sterling reputation among many and has been a little jewel for me. So much so that I gave it to my brother in law for his use. I would NEVER hand off a gun to family or anyone that was a piece of manure without full disclosure. You might well find a Diamondback that exceeds your expectations. If you do then be sure to get back with us for a report.

Bottom line in my opinion...Kahr Arms PM9 or a Rohrbaugh 9mm would get my money first for a "small" 9mm pistol for the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post

There are a few websites that have good information for women carrying, unfortunatly I don't know them but I'm sure someone here will supply that information. I know that women face carry issues that guys don't considering wardwrobe differences so I can understand wanting to find a small gun. Just make sure that you keep reliability and shootability as your priorities.
    http://www.corneredcat.com

User Tag List