Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which manufacturer produces the best 10-round magazines for full-sized pistols?

My Glock 10 rounders for my G17, G19 and G21 have all worked well, but I've only used them with ball ammunition. The G21 10 rounder does require two men and a boy to get the 10th cartridge in, though...Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    There are no issues with factory or mecgar beretta 92 10-round mags. I use them extensively.
    Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10. Maybe after some time it's fine.

The 10th round feels tight on new mag because the spring has not taken a set. Either use a Lula loader or shoot it for a while until loading it gets easier.

The indentation on the side just prevents the magazine follower from going all the way down when loading rounds. It uses rhe exact same magazine spring and follower as the normal capacity magazines.
    Those two sentences seem contradictory, no? If the indentations on the side are stopping the follower, why would the spring feel tight until it's broken in? The spring wouldn't be anywhere near fully compressed. Are the side indentions preventing additional loading, or is it the spring being fully compressed because they just jammed a spacer under it?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The 10 round p10c / P-07 mag uses a longer spring, and has dimples in the mag that prevent loading more than 10.
    Thanks. Sounds ideal. So loading the 10th is easy? The spring isn't fully compressed and preventing insertion?

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Something in .45 is potentially interesting...
    I never had any issue with my M&P 45 mags. The last round was stiff when new but completely doable without a Uplula loader. They get a bit better after a few loadings.

Thanks. Sounds ideal. So loading the 10th is easy? The spring isn't fully compressed and preventing insertion?
    It seems this is absolutely correct. I found this video that shows you can drill out the indentions and it turns into a 15 round mag. So this is *exactly* the design I was looking for. I clearly need to buy a P10c, P07, and P09 (?) now just to support their engineering efforts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-sMvFo44E

I'd love to understand if the Beretta design is the same.

Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10. Maybe after some time it's fine.

Those two sentences seem contradictory, no? If the indentations on the side are stopping the follower, why would the spring feel tight until it's broken in? The spring wouldn't be anywhere near fully compressed. Are the side indentions preventing additional loading, or is it the spring being fully compressed?
    As you shoot the pistol, the magazine spring will cycle and "loosen up", making it easier for you to load the 10th round. The cycling is what breaks a spring in and eventually wears it out after many thousands of rounds.

A brand new magazine spring is just stiffer even when not fully compressed. The side indentations on a beretta 92 mag simply stop the follower from being pushed down further to load rounds 11-15. The mag spring isn't fully compressed when you have 10 rounds loaded in a 10-round beeetta 92 magazine

Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10.
    The Beretta thread you linked is 10 years old. The others aren’t that current, either. Gun makers are iterating regularly these days.

My single 10rd Mecgar mag for my 92FS loads easily. My handful of factory 10rd PX4c mags load and run fine, too, but you asked about full size, so that may not be relevant to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    As you shoot the pistol, the magazine spring will cycle and "loosen up", making it easier for you to load the 10th round. The cycling is what breaks a spring in and eventually wears it out after many thousands of rounds.

A brand new magazine spring is just stiffer even when not fully compressed. The side indentations on a beretta 92 mag simply stop the follower from being pushed down further to load rounds 11-15. The mag spring isn't fully compressed when you have 10 rounds loaded in a 10-round beeetta 92 magazine
    OK I just found this video from Langdon that explains the Beretta mag. As @revchuck38 described, the indentions on the side basically turn it into a single-stack mag.

He says it's better than the design where you "chop the bottom of the magazine" but I don't see how it's any different. The end result is that the spring is still fully compressed at full capacity.

The CZ design takes advantage of the free space to in the mag (silver lining?) to produce a spring that is never fully compressed, resulting in a more constant spring rate, easy loading at full capacity, and no spring bind to be concerned about during storage.

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    The Beretta thread you linked is 10 years old. The others aren’t that current, either. Gun makers are iterating regularly these days.
    Fair enough. Happy to hear updated info.

My single 10rd Mecgar mag for my 92FS loads easily. My handful of factory 10rd PX4c mags load and run fine, too, but you asked about full size, so that may not be relevant to you.
    Awesome thanks. I was looking at the PX4 also. It's a confusing one though. But I'll spare derailing my own thread with PX4 musings.

Walther P99/PPQ M1 10-rounders (I don't know if they make a 10-rounder for the PPQ M2) are basically P99c mags with a gigantic floorplate on them. I haven't personally used them, but based on the fact that my P99c mags have been completely reliable, I'd expect the 10-rounders for the full size guns would be as well:

User Tag List