Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which manufacturer produces the best 10-round magazines for full-sized pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    OK I just found this video from Langdon that explains the Beretta mag. As @revchuck38 described, the indentions on the side basically turn it into a single-stack mag.

He says it's better than the design where you "chop the bottom of the magazine" but I don't see how it's any different. The end result is that the spring is still fully compressed at full capacity.
    The mecgar beretta mags work exactly like the CZ mags. Its just the dimple that prevents the loading of more than 10 rounds

I'm not entirely sure why you are tilting at windmills about springs being "fully compressed at full capacity." When you load a factory 10 round beretta 92mag, the spring is compressed just like a normal capacity mag due to how the stack geometry changes. After 10 years of competition shooting with my 92 I have noticed zero functional difference with factory vs mecgar 10 round mags, even though they work in slightly different ways. The difficulty in loading a 10 round factory mag literally will go away after a few trips to the range.

I apologize for my confusing previous post. I was referring to mecgar mags which have the dimples in the body to simply block rhe follower. The factory 10 round mags have elongated dimples that slightly change the stack geometry in order to limit the capacity
    Last edited by shootist26; 09-14-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    The mecgar beretta mags work exactly like the CZ mags. Its just the dimple that prevents the loading of more than 10 rounds
    Oh cool, thanks.

I'm not entirely sure why you are tilting at windmills about springs being "fully compressed at full capacity." When you load a factory 10 round beretta 92mag, the spring is compressed just like a normal capacity mag due to how the stack geometry changes. After 10 years of competition shooting with my 92 I have noticed zero functional difference with factory vs mecgar 10 round mags, even though they work in slightly different ways. The difficulty in loading a 10 round factory mag literally will go away after a few trips to the range.
    Fair enough. All that really matters is reliability.

As long as the law is forcing me to have some empty space in my magazine, it seems a shame not to use it for good. But this is admittedly low on the priority list compared to everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Oh cool, thanks.

Fair enough. All that really matters is reliability.

As long as the law is forcing me to have some empty space in my magazine, it seems a shame not to use it for good. But this is admittedly low on the priority list compared to everything else.
    The problem is that in mag ban states, the law is written so that a cripple mag cannot also be "readily converted" to a normal mag. That's why companies like beretta have been extra conservative by building a different mag body for their 10 round mags to make it essentially impossible to fit more rounds.

Simply using a 15 round mag and putting a baseplate block in wouldnt fly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    The problem is that in mag ban states, the law is written so that a cripple mag cannot also be "readily converted" to a normal mag. That's why companies like beretta have been extra conservative by building a different mag body for their 10 round mags to make it essentially impossible to fit more rounds.

Simply using a 15 round mag and putting a baseplate block in wouldnt fly.
    The other problem is that if somebody could take a hydraulic press and insert an 11th round into a magazine without the magazine exploding then that equates to an illegal magazine under the law.

That’s why the last round is often difficult to load on neutered mags. The manufacturers have to build them so that no matter how worn out the spring is you’ll never be able to get that 11th round in the mag.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

HK USP 45 10 round mags work well IMHO. Full capacity mags are 12 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The other problem is that if somebody could take a hydraulic press and insert an 11th round into a magazine without the magazine exploding then that equates to an illegal magazine under the law.

That’s why the last round is often difficult to load on neutered mags. The manufacturers have to build them so that no matter how worn out the spring is you’ll never be able to get that 11th round in the mag.
    Makes sense, but also highlights the downside of using the spring to limit capacity in a 10 round state.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Mec-Gar CZ P10c 10 round mags seem to be good to go for P-07 and P10c.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-fact...bihqfsfsq3d592

I think @cheby has vetted Mec-Gar 10 round mags in his Shadow2s.
    Yes, I bought 6 10rd mags a few years ago to go to California for a major match. I shot a lot through them - no problem

The answer to the question isn't who makes the best 10-round mags, it's who makes the best magazines for full sized pistols

And the answer is:

Heckler and Koch

Followed by Mec-Gar

Unless you're shooting a 1911, in which case the answer is Tripp.

Still most OEMs do a fair job with their mags and factory magazines from Ruger and Smith and Wesson have been very consistent. Not quite as resilient as HK mags, but close. Beretta and CZ basically use Mec-Gar as the OEM supplier.

Site Supporter
    Wilson Combat ETM 10 round 9mm 1911 mags have worked flawlessly in my Commander. They are the gold standard in my opinion.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

My list of reliable ten-round magazines:

1) HK P30//VP9
    2) Glock 26
    3) Beretta 92 factory magazines (sourced from Beretta USA's web store)
    4) S&W 59/59xx factory magazines
    5) McCormick Power Magazine (not RPM) for .45 ACP 1911

User Tag List