Thread: Barrel Clamp for Magazine Extension

Question Barrel Clamp for Magazine Extension

Looking to add a +8 magazine extension to a Benelli M2 with a 28" barrel. Is a barrel clamped needed for this application or not? The "internet" seems to have disagreement on this issue and talking with some of the manufactures leads to mixed results as well.

Tube is a Lancer carbon fiber.

Intended use is fun but I would like it to work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Looking to add a +8 magazine extension to a Benelli M2 with a 28" barrel. Is a barrel clamped needed for this application or not? The "internet" seems to have disagreement on this issue and talking with some of the manufactures leads to mixed results as well.

Tube is a Lancer carbon fiber.

Intended use is fun but I would like it to work reliably.
    Did you see what Lancer said: Extension tube clamps are available for tubes that extend beyond the end of the barrel. That is the answer I'd go with.

https://lancer-systems.com/product/l...ension-clamps/

NOTE: If you are a 3-gun competitor or you shoot slugs at extended distances, we recommend patterning your shotgun and preferred slug(s) both with and without the clamp installed. In some instances, your point of impact may shift slightly after installing the clamp to the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Did you see what Lancer said: Extension tube clamps are available for tubes that extend beyond the end of the barrel. That is the answer I'd go with.

https://lancer-systems.com/product/l...ension-clamps/

NOTE: If you are a 3-gun competitor or you shoot slugs at extended distances, we recommend patterning your shotgun and preferred slug(s) both with and without the clamp installed. In some instances, your point of impact may shift slightly after installing the clamp to the barrel.
    Thanks for the response Dan. That was what is confusing to me. They make it available but it doesn't say recommended. when I was in the market I talked with Briley (who makes a similar tube) and the person I spoke with said he recommends them for tubes longer than +4.....but the guns they build have much longer extensions than +4 and no clamps.

Is the shifted POI the only downside to using a clamp?

And I just did hear back from Lancer and this was their response:

Thank you for your email and your interest in Lancer’s carbon fiber shotgun extension tubes. In most instances, we do recommend the use of a barrel clamp, and it is recommended with your 28” M2 with +8, as well.

Site Supporter
    See http://taccom3g.com

Clamp attaches only to tube and not barrel which it rests on. Name is extreme tension stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Is the shifted POI the only downside to using a clamp?
    Potential barrel and mag tube marring if that would bother you.

I really don't know how much POI shift you would get with a clamp. I have a couple of Remington Express pawn shop shotguns with clamps on them, primarily for lights, and they shoot fine, but I don't know how they shot before the clamps. My JMPro with it's Nordic extension tube and clamp also shoots fine. (fine to me is pattern pretty well centered at 25 with buck and center hits on a USPSA target at 50 with slugs using beads)

I've seen a whole lot of Remington 870 Police magnums with extended tubes and clamps shoot 100's on the NRA Instructor School shotgun qual course. (we used the NRA Courses so that those who were interested could also get NRA Certification.)

So in my limited experience I'm not sure how much POI shift there actually is. Maybe TCinVA could offer more.

Ive been using big tubes on multiple game guns for years without the clamp. I want to avoid the clamp and the possible changes in poi when guns get dissembled for travel.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List