Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger MKII as a Test Vehicle for Red Dot?

I think in the end the main question will be how well your eyes can adapt directly to the target focus with a dot.

I have a Vortex dot on a MKII. It's a target pistol and it works a lot better for me than iron sights because of my poor eye sight. I can hit clays with ease at 50 yards and occasionally at 100 yds. As others have said, it's a lot more fun. This setup isn't going to give you good input on a carry though.

I'm not sure about the value of dots on concealed carry anyway. I'm sold on dots for longer ranges like 50 yds, but for SD (15 yds. and closer), I'm not convinced. I know the military and some LE has adopted dots on pistols but that's a different mission IMO.

Once again I provide the unpopular opinion.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have a Vortex dot on a MKII. It's a target pistol and it works a lot better for me than iron sights because of my poor eye sight. I can hit clays with ease at 50 yards and occasionally at 100 yds. As others have said, it's a lot more fun. This setup isn't going to give you good input on a carry though.

I'm not sure about the value of dots on concealed carry anyway. I'm sold on dots for longer ranges like 50 yds, but for SD (15 yds. and closer), I'm not convinced. I know the military and some LE has adopted dots on pistols but that's a different mission IMO.

Once again I provide the unpopular opinion.
    You're not convinced because you have trouble finding the dot quickly or because you doubt the durability / reliability ?

Hunting the dot is a training issue. Re-training someone who has shot sight focused for decades takes work and is not reflective of results with new shooters starting with the dot. New shooters take to it intuitively. As for experienced shooters, if you put the work in the dot will be just as fast or (for myself) faster.

If you have sought out professional instruction and put a few thousand rounds on the dot and still feel that way, then you are providing the unpopular opinion. If you kind of messed with one and decided it "felt" slow, you had to hunt for the dot, or you are using irons to find the dot it's an uneducated opinion.

If your eyes are not what they used to be, you will benefit more from the dot at close range than those with good vision, if you put the work in.

Going back to the OP, the dot on a .22 can be useful for working on draw and presentation issues and target focus. It will not give you real feed back on recoil control and grip issues for multiple shots.

A target focused sighting system which allows for more information about the threat, resulting in better UOF decisions is just as important for personal carry as it is for LE/MIL.

User Tag List