Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger MKII as a Test Vehicle for Red Dot?

Site Supporter

Ruger MKII as a Test Vehicle for Red Dot?

I’m thinking about trying out red dots. Converting one of my carry guns would cost $3-400 plus the cost of the optic. I have a Ruger MKII that was my bullseye/UIT Sport Pistol gun that’s just taking up space in the safe. It’ll hold the X at 50 yards with room to spare with good ammo, so it’s not going anywhere. I’m thinking about using it as a test vehicle to see if I can get along with RDOs. It has the original grip angle, not the 1911ish version. Would the grip angle and not being able to draw it from a holster make it impractical as a test vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    and not being able to draw it from a holster make it impractical as a test vehicle?
    https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Solu...0040534&sr=8-2

I put a Weigand pic base on mine with an old Tasco. I think there are better options that use smaller red dots.

I put a Burris Fastfire 3 on my MkIII CTM using one of their dovetail mounts. I think it would be useful for what you’re trying to do.

Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I think it could tell you a bit about how shooting with a dot will affect your accuracy, and how well your eyes may adjust to target focus with a dot transposed in the middle somewhere.

Depending on your index and adaptability, it might tell you how hard it is for you to draw to a sight picture with a dot, although a steeper grip angle may cause you problems because dropping the front into target so you pick up the dot seems to be something some folks struggle with. You can mimic all the parts of the draw that will be influenced by the dot without actually using a holster.

I don't think it will tell you how well you can track/recover a dot being violently whipped around on a reciprocating slide under centerfire recoil.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Solu...0040534&sr=8-2

I put a Weigand pic base on mine with an old Tasco. I think there are better options that use smaller red dots.
    Looks like we had a similar idea...

I would call this a learning experience.

Height over bore, grip angle, non reciprocating, lack of holster availability. Certainly other options exist, but my choice was not a good one.

Name:  Resized_20200812_201322.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  25.7 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I use a Maddmaccs center mount for my MKIV 22/45. The dot sits lower than a Tandemkross mount and much lower than the factory rail, and you keep your iron sights so you can easily remove it and switch back. I really like it. I am not sure if they make one for a MKII, and the different grip angle will definitely make the "red dot transition" appear more difficult than it would be if you put a dot on your primary platform.

Starting off on your Ruger would be a great way to see if you like the dot. You will love it.

I've been shooting red dot sights on my guns since the 80s. I started mounting one on my Model 10 S&W and immediately started winning matches. The dot is easier to use once you practice with it. It is not hard to find, as some people will tell you, you just have to learn how to get it every time.

Start close and then work your way out. Keep your eyes on the target and move your gun straight to the target. Tracking from target to target is much easier with a dot.

Holsters are no problem these days. TandemKross has a few listed and so does Volquartsen. E-bay also has a wide variety. I made this one.

Name:  Holster with Mark IV backup inserted.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  57.7 KB

This isn't going to be popular but.....No. I get what you're doing because my friends WILL NOT leave me alone about jumping on the dot train. But they also can't draw and hit a steel half silhouette 100 yards first shot either, with their favorite gun.

These guns are built for red dots, and just to look through a red dot mounted on a pistol, sure. Firing though will be completely different and this pistol will not serve you in practical application on any other semiautomatic handgun. For two reasons. The functionality is not remotely impacted by adding the dot on your MKII. Also, it's not going to be reciprocating at all. Which means you may love it on the Ruger, and you might hate it on everything else. Also the additional work you'll put into say a G19 MOS or a modern defensive firearm with a milled red dot will be vastly higher than the success you'll achieve with the Ruger. It might give you a false positive experience. You may love the red dot and think it'll work on all your other things only to find out it's a completely different animal.

I'd give it a try. It will be an inexpensive test. Since the dot doesn't move w/ the slide a <$100 dot will work just fine and the mount isn't near as critical either. I have an old but excellent Hakko Panarama on my Buckmark bullseye and I really like it. Can't draw from a holster is no big deal. Just shoot from a low ready. This is a test of the waters not a long term training setup that has to mimic your usual pistol.

Maybe not as much of a test vehicle but more of a proof statement.

I am also in the situation of embarking on the carry optics sorta idea, enticed by maybe what my older eyes might be able to accomplish. I know it will be like the Fountain of Youth at longer ranges, but wonder if it will slow me down at close ranges. I think the best way of proving this was to have been to buy another example of the exact gun I have been shooting every week and get it direct milled. I was being financially responsible and finnaly had all of my ducks in a row to do this, back in March...

But I have a MK-III with an Aimpoint and I say just do it, if it proves nothing it will be a butt load of fun. Mine is like a carnival ride or a party trick, everybody that ever tries the thing smiles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List