Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c.

Site Supporter

Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c.

Recommendations for a good retention holster for Ruger SR9c. The one I have now is a pice of crap. A flimsy strap will unbutton by simply pulling the gun from the holster. I've been online, but haven't found one that specifically mentions my gun. If I'm going to spend upwards of $200, I'd like to at least know it will reliably work with my gun.
    Also, can somebody school me on different types of retention. My ignorance is legion. Do I understand that some holsters don't use a strap, but have some mechanism that holds the gun until it is pushed in a specific direction before it can be drawn.
    Again, I will spend $$$ on a holster that does the job. I just have no faith in my ability to determine whether or not a particular holster is worth what I'm paying for it.

So right up front I’ll tell you you’re SOL because the pistol you have doesn’t show up on Safariland’s will fit chart for duty holsters. The only duty holster they have is for the the Ruger American. No idea if the SR9c is close enough shape wise to work. Sometimes multiple guns fit one of Safariland’s holsters.

So let’s talk retention levels. There’s no industry standard for what they mean. Here’s Bill Rogers explaining what’s they mean to him:

Not sure what your reason for wanting a retention holster, but the Safariland GLS is an option. As is a Dara Holster duty holster. Dara lists your gun in their drop down options.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

What type of retention and for what purpose?

I find a holster that keeps the gun in it, secures it to a strong belt and provides excellent concealment often to be the best type of retention. Think Milt Sparks VM2 or one of the plethora of good AIWB

The SR9c is a concealed carry piece. A good thumbreak holster will keep the gun in place during normal activity. My wearing a suit/non-uniform but obviously a cop/plainclothes holster for both Glock's and 1911's is Rusty Sherrick's SIS. I find it perfect for me. Rusty isn't cheap nor is he particularly fast, so be patient.

Another good option would be something made by TT Gunleather. I see on his list he offers holsters for your gun.

If you're looking for a duty-style holster you aren't going to find one. Ruger has been more or less out the police duty pistol game since the late 1990's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Not sure what your reason for wanting a retention holster, but the Safariland GLS is an option. As is a Dara Holster duty holster. Dara lists your gun in their drop down options.
    I'm Security at an Emergency center. Level III, armed. Everything I've read on this and another heavy LEO forum leads me to the belief that if I'm going to strap a gun to my hip, I need to be sure I stay in control of it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into the GLS.

ETA:
    This is such a shameful story, but I've agonized over it. They sat confession is good for the soul. I'm rabid about retention now. This shameful incident that is such a blight on my character is why.

When I first started carrying I bought a little Ruger LCP .380. That's all I'd need, right?
    Then I joined several gun forums, leaning toward those with a heavy LEO membership. Watching gel test videos, but more importantly listing to real world events, I decided I needed to go up to al least a 9 MM. Enter the SR9c.
    But I discovered I really liked the little LCP. There is so little metal there that when the propellent in .380 cartridge cuts loose, it gets your attention. With a barrel little more than twice the length of the cartridge, it was loud. With so little containment of propulsion gasses, you knew something had just happened. And, with negligible mass to absorb the energy of that tiny piece of lead being sent downrange, it let you know that you had just unleashed some amount of energy. I loved that little gun and decided to keep it after buying the SR9c.
    I had a decent IWB holster for the SR9c which I carried 3:00 IWB. The Velcro retention strap soon made itself worthless, but as I carried concealed, I didn't worry as much about it. Nobody is going to try to grab a gun they don't even know is there.
    Now, what to do with the LCP? Put in the cabinet and just take it to the range? Yeah, could-a done that. But I decided to carry it as a BUG. (Back Up Gun)
    Again, listening to LEOs compare notes I decided that my BUG should be available to my weak hand. I heard some compelling arguments that whatever takes out your primary weapon might also take out your strong hand. So, I decided to carry it in my lefthand hip pocket. (In the non-retention IWB holster I'd previously used.)
    I found that the gun had a tendency to slide out of the pocket. Sometime in the holster, sometimes without it. (Almost always while using the toilet.)
    Several times, I'd discover it gone. So far, every time it was in my downstairs bathroom. With the carpet. I wouldn't hear it fall out.
    I did hear it a couple of time in public restrooms, but the clatter onto tile floors always alerted me, and I retrieved my weapon.
    I noticed it gone one day while out on the town. I was certain I'd find it at home in the downstairs bathroom. When I got home, it wasn't there.
    At this point I willingly stepped into that strange world of self delusion where it couldn't have possibly been lost in a public place. I was sure it would eventually show up somewhere at my house. I'd previously lost it in my lounge chair in the living room. (Sometimes I had to find as it was deep in the folds and pockets of this device.) I'd also lost it in the upstairs bathroom, kicking it under the tub. I'd lost it in the bedroom as I got ready for the night. A couple of times, it had taken a few day to find.
    You'd think these would have been warning notices, but so far they had always happened at home, and I had somehow deluded myself into thinking that they would only happen at home.
    Now it appeared it had happened somewhere else.
    Should I report this to the police. (Looking back, the answer was an unambiguous YES.) But I conned myself into believing that I'd eventually find it some where at home. As time went on, I had less hope of finding it, but more trepidation about reporting it. (Why had I waited so long.)
    This was a defining moment in my life. Was I one of those stupid @$$ holes who irresponsibly let a gun fall into the wrong hands. Had it fallen out in a public restroom? Who found it? A kid? A criminal who would used it for his next murder?
    Months later, we were rearranging our bedroom. As I moved a dresser, I discovered a Ruger LCP that apparently had been kicked so far up under it, next to a leg, that it wasn't visible from looking. (even with a flashlight.) It could only be found by moving the dresser.
    I felt that God had given me a second chance. I still carry the LCP, but honestly, it's in a holster that I'll likely die before I get it unholstered from. It will NOT EVER fall out of my pocket again. My EDC is still in a non-retention holster when not on the job, but is IWB and, not visible. I'm still good with it. But when on the job as a SO, my weapon is hanging from my duty belt and an obvious target for bad guys. I need to be sure it's always under my control.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 09-13-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I'm Security at an Emergency center. Level III, armed. Everything I've read on this and another heavy LEO forum leads me to the belief that if I'm going to strap a gun to my hip, I need to be sure I stay in control of it.
    Forget the GLS then, your best bet it to get a Dara Duty. Not as good as a Safariland, but better for uniformed security. I have one for a 229 (didn’t work out for a variety of reasons not related to holster quality) and it’s not a bad design or quality. I’ll post some pics when I get home later.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My honest advice based on reading your last post would be to sell the SR9c, buy a gun that Safariland makes an 6360 holster for, buy a Safariland 6360 holster (there are plenty used on eBay), and be done.

You don’t want to hear this, but why sugar coat it?

No one makes a retention duty holster for that gun because it’s not really considered a quality duty gun. If it was taken seriously by the industry, then safariland would tool up production for it.

Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, CZ, M&P... you can find TONs of quality duty holsters for them... we call that a clue. The LE industry buys those brands because they consistently pass large scale agency endurance testing. And since large agencies test and adopt these brands, Safariland tools up to support those brands.

Hopefully no hurt feelings.

If you can find a Glock/Sig/HK/M&P/CZ to carry, the ALS is a bare minimum for retention. The SLS/ALS combo is, to my mind, the most secure duty rig being sold today. The GLS uses a retention button coated so that the firing hand grip trips the switch with the knuckle of the middle finger of the shooter’s hand. If anyone grabs the grip of your gun, they will hit that button without even trying. The GLS is retention for running and jumping around, but is not retention for gun grabs... period.

I typically use an ALS with a safety locking sentry.

I will look up the different system pics and post an explanation of each.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    You don’t want to hear this, but why sugar coat it?

No one makes a retention duty holster for that gun because it’s not really considered a quality duty gun. If it was taken seriously by the industry, then safariland would tool up production for it.

Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, CZ, M&P... you can find TONs of quality duty holsters for them... we call that a clue. The LE industry buys those brands because they consistently pass large scale agency endurance testing. And since large agencies test and adopt these brands, Safariland tools up to support those brands.

Hopefully no hurt feelings.

If you can find a Glock/Sig/HK/M&P/CZ to carry, the ALS is a bare minimum for retention. The SLS/ALS combo is, to my mind, the most secure duty rig being sold today. The GLS uses a retention button coated so that the firing hand grip trips the switch with the knuckle of the middle finger of the shooter’s hand. If anyone grabs the grip of your gun, they will hit that button without even trying. The GLS is retention for running and jumping around, but is not retention for gun grabs... period.

I typically use an ALS with a safety locking sentry.

I will look up the different system pics and post an explanation of each.
    Damn! not necessarily what I wanted to hear but maybe what I need to hear. Make no-mistake, I'll keep my Rugers. I love them. But base on advice I trust, I might start looking for a different duty weapon, one with sufficient support. God forgive me, please don't tell me I'll own up owning a Block.

The GLS is the “grip locking system”... it releases by simply grabbing the grip of the gun. It retains by using a small plastic tab grabbing the trigger guard. It is fine for holding the gun while running and jumping a fence, but it will come open the second a bad guy grabs the grip to attempt a gun grab. It is NOT duty grade. (The locking release is the button circled in yellow).

Name:  DA903166-2A1E-4ECC-AD67-1ED05792D579.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  28.5 KB

The SLS is the “self locking system”, but it’s not self locking. It is a hood that rotates out of the way to allow a draw. It is a strong system. It’s main advantage when introduces is you can simply holster and flip the hood shut to secure, unlike the old thumb breaks that you had to fumble with to resecure. This was a quick easy, “no look” way to holster and secure without taking your eyes off the bad guys.

You push down and forward at the same time on the tab circled in red... And the hood rotates forward as the red arrow shows. It sounds complex, but it really is a fast smooth movement you can get comfortable with in minutes. (The yellow line in the second photo is just an optional cover that can prevent a “karate chop” type gun grab.)

Name:  FFC198EE-AAB5-4852-BA0D-AABB3336C960.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  46.7 KB
    Name:  E09187A7-7F69-4D36-9D29-4A794F42B1C8.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  33.2 KB

The ALS is the (automatic locking system). This is a passive lock. Just drop in the gun and a lock engages on the ejection port area of the gun. It is a pretty strong system for plastic. Unlike the SLS system that you have to remember to close the hood on, this is just holster and forget, since it is automatic. They make an optional “ALS Sentry” cover. Which is a tab that covers the ALS release button. When you draw, you push forward on the Sentry (which uncovers the ALS tab) then pull back on the ALS. Again, it sounds complicated, but it is stupid simple to master in a few minutes. Then it is just practice to build some muscle memory.

The ALS in the first pic shows just the ALS, which is the red tab, you simply grip The gun and use your thumb to pull back on the red nub while drawing. It’s spring loaded and re locks upon holstering. Second pic is the optional “sentry” lock. The yellow is where the ALS tab would sit when this is installed. It “clicks” into the open and closed position. You would push the red part forward with your thumb, and that would leave your thumb sitting right on the yellow part (ALS) to pull backward on while drawing. When you go back to the holster, the ALS locks on its own, you would have to remember to flip the sentry back closed, just like the SLS hood. This is the set up I use. If I have to walk through crowds, or I am worried about Going hands on in a tussle, I can flip that sentry to lock and give me a little more protection.

Name:  414DBDDB-1051-4AAF-85B3-55273717CAF2.jpeg
Views: 538
Size:  23.8 KB
    Name:  02AAA29A-F3F9-464B-AAE0-1127A10A48BF.jpeg
Views: 562
Size:  23.3 KB

And lastly, they make an SLS/ALS combo. Rotate the hood forward, and that exposes and ALS button when the hood is forward, then pull back on the ALS while drawing. I think that is the most security in current duty holsters, but one or the other will cover most needs.

Hope this helps, and I was not too confusing.

And you don’t HAVE to buy a “Block”... I would feel perfectly safe with an M&P, 229, 226, 92fs, PX4, P30, USP, P2000, p320, P365, LTT 92... it does not have to be a “Block”... (but it should be&#128526.

Any other questions... I will try my best to explain.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 09-13-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

@HCM, you want to add anything?

User Tag List