Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke my first press. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’m well aware the correct answer is Dillon 550
    I would argue that the correct answer is actually Dillon 650/750 or Hornady LNL AP. 5-station auto-indexing is definitely worth the premium over 4-station manual indexing.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I would argue that the correct answer is actually Dillon 650/750 or Hornady LNL AP. 5-station auto-indexing is definitely worth the premium over 4-station manual indexing.
    It depends on budget. I'd be happy with either, the 550 is no slouch; but if budget allows, I'd totally recommend a new 750.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It depends on budget. I'd be happy with either, the 550 is no slouch; but if budget allows, I'd totally recommend a new 750.
    Absolutely. I personally view the Hornady as a "budget" 650/750, since its price is usually about the same as a 550, Hornady provides warranty support that's supposed to be on par with Dillon, etc. It's the way I went, and I haven't regretted it. If you're on the "blue or nothing" plan and on a budget, though, I can see where a 550 would be the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Absolutely. I personally view the Hornady as a "budget" 650/750, since its price is usually about the same as a 550, Hornady provides warranty support that's supposed to be on par with Dillon, etc. It's the way I went, and I haven't regretted it. If you're on the "blue or nothing" plan and on a budget, though, I can see where a 550 would be the choice.
    How much tinkering does your Hornady need? I came close to buying one.
    #RESIST

Not much. I love the LNL bushings, and the only thing that I would really say is a weak point on it is that if the primer feed system gets dirty (powder flakes, chunks of spent primer, etc. getting into the track from the tube to the shell plate), you wind up having problems, but a quick cleaning of that gets it back up and running, so no big deal there. I have had one part on it break (one of the clamp pieces in the powder measure assembly IIRC - it was a few years ago), but Hornady replaced it for free, so I can't really get too wound up about that.

What do you define as tinkering? I know that once I've got the press set up for the load I want, it requires little aside from powder and primer reloads. That being said, the decap and resize station (9mm) rarely lines up perfectly without a little nudge from my left index finger to guide the case in as I pull the handle. I had a similar issue with my LCT.

Site Supporter
    Update: warranty is two years per the website but called Lee Customer Service and they are replacing the entire carrier. I only have to pay shipping. Didn’t want to see pictures, documentation or proof of ownership, etc. Don’t know if I am happy or sad. Really wanted the excuse to try Dillon.

Cool

Dillion 1050 works for me.

Update: warranty is two years per the website but called Lee Customer Service and they are replacing the entire carrier. I only have to pay shipping. Didn’t want to see pictures, documentation or proof of ownership, etc. Don’t know if I am happy or sad. Really wanted the excuse to try Dillon.
    Good that they’re replacing it. I’ve been pretty satisfied with Lee’s customer service over the years, and with most of their products that I’ve bought.

Go ahead and get the Dillon though; years ago I sold a no lock 642 and a prelock 581 to fund my 550. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

So the carrier on my Pro 1000 just cracked and locked the press up. Bought in 2016 and had just under 10,000 rounds reloaded when it broke. Thoughts on weather I should contact customer service or just order another carrier? I’m well aware the correct answer is Dillon 550, but that option can be considered a “Covid related death!”

Not bashing Lee, just putting this out there mainly for advice and to offer a data point to the community. 10K reloads for $150 of press is unarguably a good deal.

Attachment 60370
    Order another carrier. If you order from Lee's site, it'll be free except for shipping.

User Tag List