Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke my first press. Advice?

Site Supporter

Broke my first press. Advice?

So the carrier on my Pro 1000 just cracked and locked the press up. Bought in 2016 and had just under 10,000 rounds reloaded when it broke. Thoughts on weather I should contact customer service or just order another carrier? I’m well aware the correct answer is Dillon 550, but that option can be considered a “Covid related death!”

Not bashing Lee, just putting this out there mainly for advice and to offer a data point to the community. 10K reloads for $150 of press is unarguably a good deal.

Name:  CEAD4F55-785A-4DE6-99F2-31C53F9AA7FD.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  36.5 KB

Site Supporter
    I don't know anything about Lee's warranty, but I'd contact their customer service on the off chance they do something for you. At the very least, you will be on the phone with them to order the parts you need.

Site Supporter
    I had multiple Lee progressive presses that I wore out. They are great value. I am not a Lee basher. I still use Lee dies and the Lee powder drops on my Dillon 550s. In my experience, it will cost you more to get replacement parts from Lee than the press is worth. I have broken one Dillon Square Deal and one Dillon 550 (decade+ old, many loadings, both broke in the case frame) and Dillon promptly exchanged for new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    10K reloads for $150 of press is unarguably a good deal.
    That kind of math doesn't work out in the long run.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That kind of math doesn't work out in the long run.
    With 9mm at $380 per case right now, that $150 is quickly amortized. That math easily works out!

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    With 9mm at $380 per case right now, that $150 is quickly amortized. That math easily works out!
    If spend $150 every 10000 rounds on presses, you'll have invested decked out Dillon 750 money, or base cost plus a pile of components.

If you like your math more, have at it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I think you can buy additional carriers for $50?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162TGF6..._LwRxFbPXJX0S3

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dillon 550.
    #RESIST

I have an Auto Breech Lock Pro. For the money, I kind've like it, but I have a bullet feeder I haven't bothered to set up because it's already so finicky to run. I think that when job and Covid craziness slows down, I might just invest in a 550 or a 750, whichever is smoother and easier to operate.

Any press can break. I’ve seriously broken my 650 twice. Dillon made good on it without issue. I can’t say enough good things about them.

... of course the round count through my 650 is quite high.

User Tag List