Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 LASD Deputies ambushed & shot in head in Compton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kommander` View Post
    This question may sound rather out of touch or naive to the people actually involved in such things, but since these two deputies were injured on duty shouldn't the county be paying for all of their medical and recovery bills? Not that I have a problem with donations, especially if the county wont be paying for everything. I just think that a cop/deputy hurt in the line of duty should not need a go fund me, but I know often there is a difference between should and is.
    The extent of the deputies injuries are unknown and it is not guaranteed they will be able to return to work. The County will pay like any other employer paying workman's comp medical which means in reality there will likely be expenses that are not covered. Deputies will be paid on sick leave but they will likely get base pay not full pay.

LA county has deep pockets but many cops injured in the line of duty for small counties and municipalities, especially those permanently injured, unfortunately very much need go fund me type fund raisers.

This question may sound rather out of touch or naive to the people actually involved in such things, but since these two deputies were injured on duty shouldn't the county be paying for all of their medical and recovery bills? Not that I have a problem with donations, especially if the county wont be paying for everything. I just think that a cop/deputy hurt in the line of duty should not need a go fund me, but I know often there is a difference between should and is.
    I can't speak to their situation, but the officer that I know that have been injured on duty have been taken care of by WC, unknown if they have had any problems. At some point with a long recovery, the agency may want to put you on disability which can reduce benefits, and of course if you never return, the disability retirement may not be enough.

A second thought about the go-fund-me type fundraisers, it makes folks feel good to think they are helping. I would hope that in most cases if the account is large, an excess is passed on to others.

Site Supporter
    We learned here a few years back when a few cops got shot up really badly that while on workman's comp the officers are no longer paying into retirement, and thus are no longer receiving service credit. So retirement checks were getting no closer, and they had no opportunity to get bigger through increased average annual salary. Took legislative action to fix, if I recall correctly. The deputy's agency did the right thing and put the deputy back on the payroll with no assigned duties to solve the problem in the short term. I was not privy to all the details, as this was a nearby agency, and am just trying to recall all the details in the news. Someone on the board here has all the details, if he wants to weigh in. If they are forced to medically retire they may get a partial check from their retirement, depending on the plan. In my agency they would get a lump sum of what they paid into retirement if they are disabled and unable to work, as they are not vested in the retirement plan. If they leave the contributed funds in the plan, then in 29 years they would get 1.35% of their 1 year's salary annually for the rest of their lives. They have to hit 10 years of service to convert their retirement to disability, and at 10 years you are looking at 13.5% of high five years average pay as a defined benefit. This is in addition to any insurance policies that you may have. My employer provided long term disability insurance pays 60% of my salary to a maximum $15k annually .

That, and my neighbor is disabled due to a workman's comp injury, and rather than pay him disability paymements for the rest of his life (he was 45, about a decade ago when it happened) they bought him out for a lump sum that was just enough to settle his mortgage and resolve his debts at the time. He would have made more taking a monthly benefit over the years but a quarter mil check sounds impressive. There were attorneys involved and whatnot. He has 3 20 something kids living at home, and they can't afford to keep up the property taxes if the kids leave. And he has no soft tissue left in one shoulder, needs to have the joint replaced, is in constant pain and can't use the arm, but workman's comp won't approve the surgury. They don't deny that they have to cover the surgury at some point, but he is so young that the chances of having to replace the replacement shoulder is too great they will not authorize. A pre-Obamacare government run health plan that denies care based on cost, and never promised quality healthcare, just healthcare for all that need it.

On top of that, I was required to fill out workman's comp paperwork a couple of months ago for a work related injury. Based on the stack of confusing paperwork I had to initial and sign, I want no part of workman's comp if I can avoid it. There are so many little conditions created to fight the scammers I can see how a simple paperwork mistake can result in owing the state a big check...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-16-2020 at 07:27 AM.

While it is not the same, everywhere, while I was working for Houston PD, in Texas, much of my pay was “incentive pay,” such as Patrol Pay, FTO Pay, shift differential pay, and overtime pay for working special assignments, covering extra shifts so that fellow officers could use leave time, and working extra hours for special assignments. An injured officer obviously cannot work those extra hours, and an officer unable to work patrol gets assigned to a non-patrol officer position, so loses patrol incentive pay and FTO pay.

If applicable, there is lost income from extra employment, while on injured-on-duty status, and being compensated by WC, a public servant is forbidden from working ANY AND ALL employment, even if it just involves moving a computer mouse, or making phone calls.

Plus, it can be annoying getting billed for ambulance rides and medical costs, even though Worker’s Comp and/or the agency are ultimately responsible for those. When those bills become delinquent, one’s access to credit can take a tumble. This is especially true now that financial entities are using a “resilience score,” not just the familiar Credit Score.

When I got broken glass in an eye, the sergeant who had done my WC paper-work had recently transferred from an undercover assignment, when he was promoted, so had extra protections to conceal his identity and status, so when the WC folks tried to verify details, it was as if he did not exist, so WC was not not paying my medical bills, for a number of months. I was being hounded by a collection agency. It took a while to sort that out.

My ride in an ambulance, after another, earlier incident, haunted my credit score, for a long time. I was told to “ignore” it, as it was a WC issue, but I later learned that ignoring it caused a dent in my credit-worthiness. Yeah, a city FD ambulance ride, for a city PD employee, being transported from an on-duty incident, should be no-brainer-billable to worker’s comp, but, ah, well.

In hindsight, it would have been better to have paid both of the above bills, then sue to get the money back, after WC had completed everything.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-16-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

There are hidden costs, other than actual medical bills, and income. Parking fees, for example, anywhere near the Texas Medical Center, are exorbitant. Hotel rooms are often needed, by family members, who do not live near the hospitals and rehab facilities.

Plus, and this is a BIG ONE, the best way to ensure high-quality nursing care, when a patient is hospitalized, or in a private care home, is to hire a private nurse, and I mean a really good, highly-motivated nurse. The on-duty staff nurses at a hospital may be over-extended. Family members can provide support, but may not have the training to recognize problems, and may be subject to the limitation of rules about visitor’s hours. A private nurse will have the training, and may well have 24-hour access.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

An arrest has been made:

https://www.redstate.com/jenvanlaar/...unty-deputies/

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva announced the arrest of Deonte Lee Murray, a 36-year-old career criminal, for the attempted murder of two LASD deputies on September 12... Murray, who is known to be affiliated with numerous gangs and has a lengthy criminal record, was arrested on carjacking charges on September 15.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    An arrest has been made:

https://www.redstate.com/jenvanlaar/...unty-deputies/

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva announced the arrest of Deonte Lee Murray, a 36-year-old career criminal, for the attempted murder of two LASD deputies on September 12... Murray, who is known to be affiliated with numerous gangs and has a lengthy criminal record, was arrested on carjacking charges on September 15.
    Here's the interesting bit for us:
    The firearm in evidence is desribed as an 80 percenter, a ghost gun, a 40-caliber pistol loaded with eight rounds, five rounds short of its full capacity. There were five rounds fired at the deputies.
    This isn't the first time that an 80% gun has been linked to crime in SoCal. In fact, it's becoming more and more common, and the problem is it's really easy for people to point at stuff like this and say "see, those ghost guns are a real problem!"

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

This isn't the first time that an 80% gun has been linked to crime in SoCal. In fact, it's becoming more and more common, and the problem is it's really easy for people to point at stuff like this and say "see, those ghost guns are a real problem!"
    I agree, but I don't know what's to be done about it.

The only time I don't hear anyone making an issue of firearms in the hands of criminals is when those criminals are Antifa or BLM members or supporters. Then it's apparently not an issue...2nd Amendment or otherwise.

Go figure.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

How many ghost guns are used in crimes? How were they procured? I seriously doubt that these jagoffs are building up 80% kits. They steal or buy stolen shit. The 80% kit is as relevant as whether he was a vegan or not.

What’s his rap sheet look like? Pure as the driven snow and then graduates to ambushing cops? Or maybe shouldn’t have been in circulation to begin with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    How many ghost guns are used in crimes? How were they procured? I seriously doubt that these jagoffs are building up 80% kits. They steal or buy stolen shit. The 80% kit is as relevant as whether he was a vegan or not.

What’s his rap sheet look like? Pure as the driven snow and then graduates to ambushing cops? Or maybe shouldn’t have been in circulation to begin with.
    There's an increasing number of assholes building up 80's specifically with the intent to sell them to Prohibited persons at a nice tidy profit. But just like straw purchases or denied NICS sales to felons, nobody's bothering to prosecute the assholes for breaking all the existing laws, everyone wants newer, shinier laws that make it triple double dog dare illegal.

User Tag List