Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 10+1 Rounds Enough?

I just recently went from 6rds back to 9 because its 2020. Plus a 10rd spare.

There's just so much weird shit going on I felt like a revolver might not cut it.

I think your hk plus 3 spares is good

Hit

I carry a PX4 Storm 45 with 10 rounds on board and spare magazines. I also have a PX4 Storm 40 caliber and a 9mm. So, I have choices.

Part of my consideration was multiple attackers. My thought was that with a 9 mm I would have 18 rounds and that is better for more attackers. However, if I had four attackers and had to dump 3 9mm into the first guy, what are the other three guys doing now? If I had to do, what is commonly called Boarding House Rules- everybody gets firsts, before anyone gets seconds... If I only could put one shot on each of those targets before assessing who needs more, I would rather hit with a 45.

Even with five opponents after I have delivered a double tap to the midsection of each I would not be well advised to be standing still anyway. Since I practice high speed reloads while on the move it would be a perfect time. In all of the self-defense scenarios that I can come up with, 10 rounds of 45 seem to be quite a lot. 10 rounds into the fight is a long time and you should be moving, taking cover or coming up with some other plan to get really short. This gives time for a quick reload and another rally if needed.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

If you check the statistics or go watch Active Self Protection on Youtube, almost all civilian gunfights are won within 3 or 4 rounds, if you have adequate skill and proper mindset. Caliber is frequently irrelevant as well. Does that mean I'm going to carry a .22 derringer and call that good enough? No, but I don't often feel uneasy about grabbing a pocket gun instead of strapping on a 15+1 pistol with a couple spare mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The thing about multiple attackers is that almost always as soon as the first couple or three get shot the rest evaporate. A recent and famous example is the Kyle Rittenhouse shooting.

I'd stick with the H&K.

Cat

I'd rather have 10 rounds in a pistol that I can shoot B8 @ 25 yards with a score 90 or higher than one I can't but have more bullets. On demand accuracy will bring more confidence to a shooter than the number of rounds on board. I am a civilian. If I was employed to go after dangerous people, then I would want on demand accuracy with more bullets and probably a long-gun of some type.

I remember in the early 1990's and well into the AWB of 94-04, many gun magazines would have articles about magazine capacity versus stopping power or mag. capacity vs. accuracy. Of course the pistol standard at that time for accuracy was the 1911. Some would mention the Sig P220 for the non-9mm pistol. People need to remember LEO mostly carried revolvers with 6 rounds for a long time.

Not exactly the versus article I mentioned but this was from a magazine in the 90's.
    Name:  IMG_0421.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  48.2 KB

I'm pretty sure Tom Givens spoken on this issue, based on the sixty-some self defense shootings his students have been involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm pretty sure Tom Givens spoken on this issue, based on the sixty-some self defense shootings his students have been involved in.
    Yes, but what did he say — last I recall, he went from a two bad guy gun to a four bad guy gun?

Back to the OP. Most shoot the 9 better but wonder if the .45 brings enough power to the equation to offset an easier to shoot 9. In this case, he shoots the .45 better than the 9, so I don’t think there is much to discuss, since the HK checks the easier to shoot and bigger bullet boxes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 6 rounds on my hip as I sit here are a lot more than zero. In today’s world, walking around with 30 rds of 9 is not a bad idea. Every actual use of force event is a single instance where statistical likelihood drops away to hard cold reality...so no one can tell you.
    Last edited by Canyonrat; 09-12-2020 at 10:51 PM.

What exactly did Tom Givens say? Is this the quote about the 1911 being a "two bad guy gun in a three or four bad guy world" when talking about the 1911? My HK does (typically) hold 2 more rounds than a 1911. Not a lot more, but still more.

I carry 10+1 chambered in a 9 mm most of the time, so I presume that my actions endorse the "enough" notion.

That said, I do it only as a compromise with my concealment requirements. If I could conceal a 17+1, I'd carry that. In the example provided above, equally sized and weighted 10+1 45 vs 15+1 9, it would've been no discussion for me in favor of a higher cap gun.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List