Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Is 10+1 Rounds Enough?

I carry guns that conceal well enough to permit me to carry them all the time. That’s important.

I carry guns that are in a service caliber, that is consistently capable of producing adequate terminal effect for a pistol. That’s important.

I carry the guns I shoot best, measured by repeated performance on different days through tests that emphasize the rapid and precise placement of two or three rounds at varying but realistic distances. That’s really, really important. For me, time from the holster to a high probability hit on a B8 bull at 10 yards is ~money.~

Given all that, I carry as much capacity as I can. I carry a reload even though I don’t think they’re very important for a single stack, because I can, and I do not carry a reload for a double stack because I find comfortable concealment difficult.

In winter I can and do carry a G17 much of the time.

In summer I usually carry a lightweight commander.

I feel equally well armed with each because my measured performance with each is very comparable.

I occasionally carry a G43 or a J frame. I am aware that this is a poor choice ~~ not because of their capacity, but because of reduced performance (of me, and especially for the J, of the cartridge). This is usually a failure to dress around the gun. Adding 2” to my chest circumference and reducing my belly made a significant difference in reducing occurrence of that minor failure.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

I carry the guns I shoot best, measured by repeated performance on different days through tests that emphasize the rapid and precise placement of two or three rounds at varying but realistic distances. That’s really, really important. For me, time from the holster to a high probability hit on a B8 bull at 10 yards is ~money.~
    The last time I was concerned that I might be facing a real and imminent threat, my pistol was the exact same gun I had shot in a match two days ago, and again a week before that, with range trips before and in between. Knowing what my capabilities were, and what I would have had to do to make the shots provided a useful mood.

Nothing happened, because nothing is usually what happens, but familiarity with measured performance under stress is difficult to understate.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I'm late to the thread, because I consider myself a novice compared to most of you. However as a NYS resident restricted to 10 rounds (or 10+1), I figure some might find my information useful. I am not an expert at anything except a few video games (well okay not even that) - this is based solely on my years of voraciously reading every available resource I can find. I lurk more than I participate...

It seems to me, that 20+ years ago, the majority of threats on the street were 1-2 aggressors with knifes or handguns robbing you on the street. In this case, a 5-round revolver would usually be enough - just displaying the shiny wheelgun would usually cause the hooligans to change their mind.

About 10-20 years ago, the threats seemed to evolve (devolve?) to include possible mass murder incidents - at work, church, school, bar etc.. This time the criminal(s) were determined to harm/kill as many as possible - and there was no talking them down. Sometimes loners, sometimes teams - you needed enough ammo snacks for all of them, and sometimes they had armor (and rifles), so be prepared to double-triple tap and go for headshots if needed. Another possible threat is home invasions - still relatively rare but worth mentioning. My nightstand gun is an M&P 2.0 Fullsize, but I'm stuck with 10 rounds (10+1) in the gun. Obviously there are spare mags with it, but if I hear a bump in the night will I really take the time to shove a spare mag in my pocket? And what if I'm sleeping in the nude that night? (don't visualize that) Side note: I am working on a "battle belt" of sorts for nightstand duty.

Starting this year (or maybe the past year or two), the threats are seemingly peaceful crowds swiftly becoming violent mobs. As we've seen, dozens of people all chanting and moving together can become a hazard if you aren't prepared. If it comes time to throw out some party favors, you'd better be 100% sure and know what you're doing next. If you use 2 rounds to stop the first threat, are any more coming? Did you scare off the rest of the crowd or did you just enrage them more?

For the last few years my CCW has been an M&P Shield with extended mag (making it 10+1). I usually carry a spare mag (also with 10 rounds) and I find that sufficient for me and mine. I don't go to any big parties, protests or events. I recently did some upgrades to my Ruger LCP (.380), and when I'm doing rucking trips around town I usually just have that and 6 rounds of .380. Conceals well enough, and if someone comes after me I can beat them down with the 30 pound rucksack. Would likely work well enough against a stray dog if I absolutely had to (unless it was a pack...). If I were going out in the woods I'd probably upgrade to something beefier..

My new carry is now the SIG P365XL w/ Holosun 507k - I have over 600 flawless rounds through it, and it conceals better than the Shield. It also has 10 rounds, and I get more of a grip. Still getting used to a red dot but I can certainly see the appeal of it.

In the winter I have an M&P 2.0 Compact with TLR7 light - shoots great, has an WML, but harder (for me) to conceal in warmer months. Still limited to 10 rounds, but bigger size means I can control it better. Also usable with some thinner gloves, for me.

Spare mags

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
    ...Obviously there are spare mags with it, but if I hear a bump in the night will I really take the time to shove a spare mag in my pocket? And what if I'm sleeping in the nude that night? (don't visualize that) Side note: I am working on a "battle belt" of sorts for nightstand duty...
    I keep additional spare magazines positioned in hidden places throughout the house where I might seek cover or be at a certain point of travel.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
    It seems to me, that 20+ years ago, the majority of threats on the street were 1-2 aggressors with knifes or handguns robbing you on the street. In this case, a 5-round revolver would usually be enough - just displaying the shiny wheelgun would usually cause the hooligans to change their mind.

About 10-20 years ago, the threats seemed to evolve (devolve?) to include possible mass murder incidents - at work, church, school, bar etc.. This time the criminal(s) were determined to harm/kill as many as possible - and there was no talking them down. Sometimes loners, sometimes teams - you needed enough ammo snacks for all of them, and sometimes they had armor (and rifles), so be prepared to double-triple tap and go for headshots if needed. Another possible threat is home invasions - still relatively rare but worth mentioning. My nightstand gun is an M&P 2.0 Fullsize, but I'm stuck with 10 rounds (10+1) in the gun. Obviously there are spare mags with it, but if I hear a bump in the night will I really take the time to shove a spare mag in my pocket?
    The "20+ years ago" threat is still the threat today in the vast, vast majority of situations a gun will be of any use. Mass shooters happened then, to. "Going Postal" was coined in that time frame due to the media coverage of postal employees engaging in workplace shootings. Kentucky's worst mass shooting was a workplace shooting at Standard Gravure in 1989. What's changed is the media coverage and 24 hour news cycle making every workplace/school violence incident national news.

As for the "bump in the night" kit, I have a shoulder holster setup that goes over my headboard. You can be naked and slip it on and have a gun, two spare mags, and a flashlight all at the ready. The flashlight is the bigger gain, IMO, as I've yet to see a home invasion get to reloads making a difference, either.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

No

But there again 17+1 might not be enough either....

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The flashlight is the bigger gain, IMO, as I've yet to see a home invasion get to reloads making a difference, either.
    I’ve not either, personally, but @Mas had a good article in American Handgunner recently (May/June 2020) where a male homeowner shoots an intruder multiple times with a 5-shot Taurus revolver, runs it dry, and has to tell his wife to run and get him another gun while he’s fighting with the suspect. The homeowner ends up killing the suspect with the second gun.

User Tag List