Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 10+1 Rounds Enough?

Is 10+1 Rounds Enough?

Hello all. I've lurked and read these forums for a number of years without an account, but I do have a question that prompted me to make one. This is a subject I've been doing a lot of reading about lately, but I wanted to get the perspective of the fine folks here.

As of right now, I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 and an HK45C. I find both to be very concealable, even the HK45C with the 10 round elephant foot magazine. I've normally been carrying the HK45C because, for whatever reason, I shoot it better than my Glock 19 despite being in .45 Auto. This could be because I've shot it a lotmore, as I have a steady supply of .45 ammunition, but I think the trigger is more suited to me too. Anyway, I like carrying the HK45C, though I wonder if I'm at a significant disadvantage with 10+1 rounds in the pistol. I do carry 3 spare 10 round magazines on me as well. I don't live in a ban state.

In a day and age where multiple attackers in a self defense situation is far from an impossibility (or multiple feral dogs, etc), is 10+1 rounds on board really enough? I do prefer my HK and have more experience with it, it was my first centerfire pistol and it's what I've practiced the most with. I also have more .45 ammunition on hand and available. Having had to shoot medium-sized animals with both 9mm and .45 using quality ammunition and having the opportunity to examine how they do against bone, I do have a little more faith in the .45 with regards to the types of animals around here.

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Confidence and accuracy count for more than round count and bullet size.

The short answer is yes. Carrying a pistol is more important than round count. Being able to put rounds on target under time pressure is more important than round count.

If you like the trigger system on the 45c better than a Glock you can always explore other 9mm pistols with the same trigger system.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I now carry and S&W EZ 9 because I've lost a lot of strength in my left arm and have a difficult time racking the slide. It only has 8 +1 rounds but I feel very comfortable carrying it with 2 extra magazines. If I can't get the job done with 25 rounds I'm in serious trouble.

Yeah, sounds to me like it may be worth looking at a P30 or P2000, or maybe a P07/P09, or maybe even a PCR.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Hello all. I've lurked and read these forums for a number of years without an account, but I do have a question that prompted me to make one. This is a subject I've been doing a lot of reading about lately, but I wanted to get the perspective of the fine folks here.

As of right now, I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 and an HK45C. I find both to be very concealable, even the HK45C with the 10 round elephant foot magazine. I've normally been carrying the HK45C because, for whatever reason, I shoot it better than my Glock 19 despite being in .45 Auto. This could be because I've shot it a lotmore, as I have a steady supply of .45 ammunition, but I think the trigger is more suited to me too. Anyway, I like carrying the HK45C, though I wonder if I'm at a significant disadvantage with 10+1 rounds in the pistol. I do carry 3 spare 10 round magazines on me as well. I don't live in a ban state.

In a day and age where multiple attackers in a self defense situation is far from an impossibility (or multiple feral dogs, etc), is 10+1 rounds on board really enough? I do prefer my HK and have more experience with it, it was my first centerfire pistol and it's what I've practiced the most with. I also have more .45 ammunition on hand and available. Having had to shoot medium-sized animals with both 9mm and .45 using quality ammunition and having the opportunity to examine how they do against bone, I do have a little more faith in the .45 with regards to the types of animals around here.

Thanks.
    High quality training > magazine capacity

Not so subtle hint: Equipment issues can be addressed/resolved through training.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    You carry 3 spare mags in addition to the 10+1 in the gun?

Either way, a lot of good work was done with 6 round revolvers and 7 round 1911's.

As was already said, if you can put those 10 rounds on targer accurately and efficiently under stress you are off to a much better start than someone with higher capacity and less ability.

There's never a magic number for how much is enough, but be damn sure you are proficient with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    Yeah, sounds to me like it may be worth looking at a P30 or P2000, or maybe a P07/P09, or maybe even a PCR.
    I'll look into a P30, though in my situation I actually have better access to .45 and reload for it. The increased ammunition cost is not a concern. If 10+1 is enough, I'd actually prefer to stick with my HK45C just because I have tons of ammo for it and I've shot it more than any other centerfire pistol.

First, you should ask yourself why you are carrying a gun in the first place.

I carry to protect my family from immediate death, kidnapping, etc. Many people seem to base their carry choices on fantasies they think up in their heads. E.g. AK47 wielding terrorists go nuts in Wally World, packs of rioters that will apparently send waves of bodies towards you even after the first shot goes off, whatever just happened in the news, etc.

Outside of the internet, MOST people are carrying their guns half the time out of laziness or opt for a small .380 or 5 shot revolver they can stick in their pocket. On the internet, everyone carries a full sized pistol with a red dot, a light, and every other gadget Batman would have on his belt.

Having a reliable firearm on you that you are confident in making hits with, trumps all the capacity in the world; you own every bullet out of that gun. Luckily for you, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever need it, so carry what you are most confident in and enjoy life.

More important things to worry about:

How is your health?
    Are you regularly doing strength training and cardio?
    Do you have hand to hand self defense skills?
    Are you constantly challenging yourself to be better than you were yesterday?

User Tag List