Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMP 4" vs SA Champion, what am I missing?

EMP 4" vs SA Champion, what am I missing?

My recent dalliances with full size 9mm 1911s got me started looking at something to replace my .45 Commander that's going to one of the boys soon. I ran across an EMP listed on a forum so I started doing some searches here and was reminded about the 4" model. Curiosity got the better of me and I went to the Springfield website to do a comparison. Unless I'm missing something subtle in the details or dimensions, it looks like the only differences are a half oz of weight (EMP 31oz vs Champion 31.5oz), the EMP having a stainless slide vs carbon steel and the EMP comes with 3-10rd mags vs 2-9rd for the Champion.

Is there something about the EMP that's thinner or some other felt difference that's not listed? Given that it uses proprietary parts and AFAIK the Champion uses "regular" 1911 parts (besides being set up for a bushing-less barrel), I'm not sure I see the appeal for the higher price. At least with the Carry Contour EMP I can see something different from the Champion.

What am I overlooking?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My recent dalliances with full size 9mm 1911s got me started looking at something to replace my .45 Commander that's going to one of the boys soon. I ran across an EMP listed on a forum so I started doing some searches here and was reminded about the 4" model. Curiosity got the better of me and I went to the Springfield website to do a comparison. Unless I'm missing something subtle in the details or dimensions, it looks like the only differences are a half oz of weight (EMP 31oz vs Champion 31.5oz), the EMP having a stainless slide vs carbon steel and the EMP comes with 3-10rd mags vs 2-9rd for the Champion.

Is there something about the EMP that's thinner or some other felt difference that's not listed? Given that it uses proprietary parts and AFAIK the Champion uses "regular" 1911 parts (besides being set up for a bushing-less barrel), I'm not sure I see the appeal for the higher price. At least with the Carry Contour EMP I can see something different from the Champion.

What am I overlooking?
    Watching with interest. I keep checking out the Carry Contour 4” and love how it feels. I’m just not sure I can live with proprietary parts, I keep guns for the long haul. Then again, the long haul gets shorter and shorter every year...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Then again, the long haul gets shorter and shorter every year...
    Ain't that the truth!

I'm not even really sure what the proprietary parts are but I suppose stocking up (if SA will sell them) seems smart anyway.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I would guess anything that could be affected by the shorter mag well - trigger bar at a minimum. I think I saw a list somewhere.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Found a list, turns out I’d asked about this over 3 years ago. Can’t believe I didn’t remember this off the top of my head

Springfield claims 15 proprietary parts. But that includes each individual part of the magazine and the frame and slide. So the list is.

Frame
    Slide
    Magazines
    Plunger tube
    Plunger spring
    Left grip
    Right grip
    Trigger
    Extractor
    Firing pin
    Firing pin spring

Because the grip is shorter front to back by about 1/8" everything in that area of the pistol changed.

Front sight availability is limited also. It uses a Springfield proprietary dovetail and is only a 14O height front sight.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ———————————

The EMP is designed around the 9mm cartridge. So the mags are shorter front to back. Then they shrunk the grip to match.

Hammer, sear, disco, slide stop, grip safety and main spring are standard 1911.

It does use a proprietary dual recoil spring system though.
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...p-build.35123/

Site Supporter
    4" is a good barrel length for 9mm. My advice would be to at least consider replacing your Commander with a Commander and just accept paying more for 45 or 38 Super than 9mm during normal times, but it seems you are set on 9mm?

If you like the 4" 9mm guns there are some recent offerings from Dan Wesson and Ed Brown that look interesting and are not ridiculously priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    4" is a good barrel length for 9mm. My advice would be to at least consider replacing your Commander with a Commander and just accept paying more for 45 or 38 Super than 9mm during normal times, but it seems you are set on 9mm?
    In this case it's not the cost of the ammo, it's the wear on my hands. Since my carpal tunnel started to make a return a couple of years ago, my hands start to swell after a few magazines through the smaller/lighter .45's. I don't get that with 5" steel frames* or 9mm of any stripe. My plan to pick up a used P220 came to a halt this morning when I found out they're lighter than a .45 Commander. Hopefully the range near me has one I can rent so I can put a couple of boxes through it and see how my hands behave.

*Oddly enough my M&P45c didn't aggravate things last time I had it out. I need to get it back out soon and verify it's still easy on the hands before I pick up a full size.

Site Supporter
    1911s (and 2011s) are built for 45 length cartridges. EMPs are specifically built for 9mm length cartridges. A shooting buddy bought an EMP and I thought I would like it - however, decades of shooting 1911s (Paras, 2011) made the EMP "too different" feel for me so I stayed away from it. Plus, I invested in M&Ps before M&Ps were cool at PF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    In this case it's not the cost of the ammo, it's the wear on my hands.
    Gotcha.

A buddy has a 4" EMP with the contoured grip in .40 (seems that .40 S&W has been dropped from production). I have not fired it, but it feels sweet in the had.

He got G10 grips from either VZ or LOK. Harrison makes replacement triggers, if one is so inclined:
    https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/triggers-for-emps
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List