Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corona 14" Pruning Saw (#7395)

Fortunately, I don't have one of the Corona OEM scabbards. I just carry the saw out onto my property...though I have some cordura sheathes I think would fit, if need be.

If I had to travel with it from one property to another I'd have to give it more thought.

I'm sure a Silky will end up in my possession eventually. Probably one of the larger than 14" versions with XL teeth for "chainsaw" work.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Fortunately, I don't have one of the Corona OEM scabbards. I just carry the saw out onto my property...though I have some cordura sheathes I think would fit, if need be.

If I had to travel with it from one property to another I'd have to give it more thought.

I'm sure a Silky will end up in my possession eventually. Probably one of the larger than 14" versions with XL teeth for "chainsaw" work.
    The Silky scabbards are incredibly handy. They are of course most useful when climbing, but even when just wandering around getting work done the scabbard stays out of the way and you can draw and make a quick cut with one hand. The rollers on the scabbard entrance help it to seat well and avoids the mentioned issue of having the saw blade stick out enough to gash a hand.

You're probably seeing this already but one thing I noticed about the Silky is it takes a certain stroke to get the most out of the blade. It can change a little cut to cut but once you get the 'feel' of it they just melt through wood.

Today I used my Lee Valley pole saw for the first time to take some limbs off an oak adjacent to my deck. It's also a Japanese style blade, which cuts solely on the pull stroke.

Worked pretty well, even though the weakest link in the chain is that the tension bolt that allows adjustment of the the poles length, (two piece fiberglass), can slip a bit, even when tight.

What I didn't get with the saw, due to angle or attitude of the limb, I took off with the bypass pruner head for the pole, as long as it was under about 1.5".

I'd love to play with one of those Silky Katanaboys...but I just can't convince myself I "need" one yet.

I'm a big proponent of sawing over chopping when the occasion allows...though I love my axes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've heard good things about the Corona folding saw. I picked one up to try out against my Bacho Laplander but just haven't yet.

Corona also makes a 6.5" folding saw which would be handy for a day pack.
    Did you ever get an opportunity to compare these two?

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    Did you ever get an opportunity to compare these two?
    Not yet. I live in an apartment so any time I want to try out my outdoor gear I have to make a special trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List