Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona 14" Pruning Saw (#7395)

Corona 14" Pruning Saw (#7395)

I was reading with interest some of the remarks hereabouts and elsewhere about the quality of Silky saws for pruning and cutting up decent size limbs and small trees.

Couldn't decide on which model I wanted most, so I just decided to try out this less expensive but well reviewed Corona saw to see if I would be impressed with the performance.

I had a sourwood out behind the house which was taken down when a big oak was brought down by a storm this summer.

I used the Corona to cut it up into several pieces...most averaging 4" to 6" in diameter. To say I was impressed is an understatement. A back or undercut was sometimes necessary to keep the blade from binding, but that was not a frequent occurrence, and the saw sailed through the trunk and limbs with little effort.

It's not ideal for small sucker branches and such, as the teeth don't get great purchase, but still did the job. A small hand pruner, lopper or golok / machete would have been better for the small stuff.

For $28, color me impressed. Now I know if and when I invest in a Silky saw, it will probably be money well spent...but for the sporadic use I intend, this will be just fine for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Corona-RazorT...000GIIQFC?th=1

(I fully admit to being somewhat of a Luddite and preferring manual tools like scythes, saws and axes to gas powered tools. I prefer tools that are quiet, don't require gas, carburetors or tune-ups. But I'm not above asking a friend with a chainsaw for help when necessary. They get to keep the wood for their stoves and fireplaces, of course. Otherwise lithium battery operated tools are the next step up in my arsenal.)
    Last edited by blues; 09-12-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    All my clippers and loppers are Corona, but I did go for the Silky Big Boy. Love it.

I've done a little climbing (and I do mean a little) with it, and the folding is a definite advantage, as I can have it on a lanyard and just drag it up through the branches without skinning everything on the way up. I also appreciate the teeth being protected and the world being protected from them when it's not in use.

I have the Corona telescoping pole pruner. It's OK, but the saw part sucks. I'm thinking this year's tree work will happen after investing in snap-together segmented poles (US brand) that I see the pros using and an adapter head to go from that standard format pole to the big Silky pole saw blade.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

People have no idea how fast these things can cut.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    All my clippers and loppers are Corona, but I did go for the Silky Big Boy. Love it.

I've done a little climbing (and I do mean a little) with it, and the folding is a definite advantage, as I can have it on a lanyard and just drag it up through the branches without skinning everything on the way up. I also appreciate the teeth being protected and the world being protected from them when it's not in use.

I have the Corona telescoping pole pruner. It's OK, but the saw part sucks. I'm thinking this year's tree work will happen after investing in snap-together segmented poles (US brand) that I see the pros using and an adapter head to go from that standard format pole to the big Silky pole saw blade.
    I looked at the Bigboy 2000 but in the end decided for my purposes, (no more climbing), I'd prefer one of the fixed versions...such as a Zubat, (one of several in the range), Sugoi, or other in that family. I still can foresee one of them in my future...but the Corona handled the work I did with little expenditure of energy.

For overhead work I've had this arrangement for many years, from Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...set?item=PB151

Oddly enough, I've never used the saw...only the pruner head...which allows lots of power with the pulley system.

I've had very good luck with Lee Valley offerings over many years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I was reading with interest some of the remarks hereabouts and elsewhere about the quality of Silky saws for pruning and cutting up decent size limbs and small trees.

Couldn't decide on which model I wanted most, so I just decided to try out this less expensive but well reviewed Corona saw to see if I would be impressed with the performance.

I had a sourwood out behind the house which was taken down when a big oak was brought down by a storm this summer.

I used the Corona to cut it up into several pieces...most averaging 4" to 6" in diameter. To say I was impressed is an understatement. A back or undercut was sometimes necessary to keep the blade from binding, but that was not a frequent occurrence, and the saw sailed through the trunk and limbs with little effort.

It's not ideal for small sucker branches and such, as the teeth don't get great purchase, but still did the job. A small hand pruner, lopper or golok / machete would have been better for the small stuff.

For $28, color me impressed. Now I know if and when I invest in a Silky saw, it will probably be money well spent...but for the sporadic use I intend, this will be just fine for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Corona-RazorT...000GIIQFC?th=1

(I fully admit to being somewhat of a Luddite and preferring manual tools like scythes, saws and axes to gas powered tools. I prefer tools that are quiet, don't require gas, carburetors or tune-ups. But I'm not above asking a friend with a chainsaw for help when necessary. They get to keep the wood for their stoves and fireplaces, of course. Otherwise lithium battery operated tools are the next step up in my arsenal.)
    Thanks for the review! I have some pruning to do and may pick one up. I too prefer axes, loppers, etc to their powered bretheren where useable. I do need a good chainsaw though...

I've heard good things about the Corona folding saw. I picked one up to try out against my Bacho Laplander but just haven't yet.

Corona also makes a 6.5" folding saw which would be handy for a day pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've heard good things about the Corona folding saw. I picked one up to try out against my Bacho Laplander but just haven't yet.

I have a Bahco...and keep it in the 4Runner just in case. In my pack I keep a small Opinel saw for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a Bahco...and keep it in the 4Runner just in case. In my pack I keep a small Opinel saw for emergencies.
    I have one of the little #12 Opinels too. Neat little saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post

I have the 6.5". It is surprisingly useful.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    So, I got a couple of these for some of my crew with a corona hard scabbard from the supplier. They used them, and not with the scabbards, for a damn good reason. There was a HUGE gap under the teeth that was exposed, so if you grabbed the scabbard in the wrong spot if it was stuck and yanked, you'll slice your hands down to the tendons.

Two days ago someone got themselves picking one up by a scabbard to put it away, not drawing the saw. Minor, but not acceptable. They both immediately went into the trash can without a blink of the eye on my part. I have Silky Zubat saw/scabbards on order to replace them, and they are a phenomenal saw in comparison.

The Silky Tsrugi (medium tooth, 400mm blade) and Sugoi (extra large tooth, 360mm blade) are my two handsaws, and the scabards are incredible. The Tsrugi is for pruning, as the teeth won't grab on smaller diameters as easily, and the Sugoi is for removals. It's pretty easy to cut through a 6 inch diameter softwood in 10 pulls with the Sugoi.

These saws will seriously mess someone up, and are commonly available in 200-400+mm blade lengths for fixed blades, and they also come in folding saws of various sizes with the same technology applied to the teeth.

User Tag List