Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout Bolt Actions

Site Supporter

300 Blackout Bolt Actions

I’ve been wanting to build a 300 Blk bolt action pistol or SBR for some time. Because of the pistol, I’m looking at bare receivers. That pretty much leaves Remington 700 and Howa mini actions. @TBone550 mentioned Tikkas which I don’t think are available as a bare receiver, but maybe this thread will be of use to him too.

I’ve read that ejection on a 700 action with a short cartridge case like the 300 can be problematic. I’ve seen discussions of lengthening ejector travel or modifying bolts for Sako or AR extractors. I’m hoping to avoid machining.

Has anyone here built a 300 Blk on a 700 action and dealt with the possible ejection issues?

The Howa action is a possibility, but I haven’t seen one in person. I have read reports critical of the proprietary magazines. Replacement Howa barrels are not as plentiful as Remington/Remage.

Anyone used the Howa mini action?

Are there other options that I’m overlooking?

Site Supporter
    Name:  2266C472-C4ED-4550-A6E7-C92E401D4459.jpg
Views: 7647
Size:  51.1 KB
    Inspirational pic from the Black Collar Arms website.

Site Supporter
    I haven't 100% decided on the Tikka, but it's close. Here's what I think I know so far. What few mentions of it being used in a BLK application all say it works well, and there's no mention of feeding issues. What I'd actually like would be one of the new CTR's in .223 that's "available" (not really) in the US, because it'd be nice to stick with the CTR / Sako double-stack mags that come in that model and in the TAC A1. AFAIK, the other T3x models all come with single-stack mags which limits to 6 rounds in the optional larger size. I'm pretty sure that the Tikka receivers are milled differently on the bottom depending if they're going into a double- or single-stack gun, making it not a simple matter of switching stocks and bottom metal to go to double-stack. I'm not really interested in going AICS.

But when I think about my uses for this rifle, it's for plinking and around the house or farm...I want more than a single-shot but realistically I don't need a 10-rd mag. Which is why I'm currently thinking just buy a run-of-the-mill T3x Lite at $550 and not overthink the single-stack issue. If I need more rounds on tap, it's time for an AR.

There's a used early AAC / Remington Micro Seven on GB right now, tempting me at $550. They're well known for ejection issues and so I had them run loaded cartridges in and out of the receiver on video for proof of ejector function....but then found out the problem only happens with fired cases. The fix I can find mentioned most is installing a Sako extractor. Supposedly the later ones had the issues fixed; there were two runs of the AAC / Model 7 rifles. At some point, the receiver markings on the left side changed with the early models having the large cursive "Model Seven" script, and the later ones having "Remington Arms Co Ilion NY" on a small top line and "MODEL 7 300 BLK" on the second line. I don't know if this change occurred between model runs or at another point. This particular rifle also comes with a 51T 3-prong AAC flash hider / suppressor mount, which was added later. The other points on the AAC Model 7 I can find are that the scope mount holes are enlarged compared to the standard Model 7; the AAC ones are 8-40, it included a 20 MOA picatinny rail, the barrel is threaded 5/8-24, the stock has a thumbscrew-adjustable cheekpiece, the whole rifle is nitrided in and out, and that there should be a spacer in the magazine which some rifles were missing from the factory and which caused feeding problems when absent. Finally, at least some case ejection problems were found to be caused by the ejected rounds bouncing off of scope rings or other stuff mounted in the cartridge ejection path.

Basically the AAC Micro Seven is a great concept but a crap-shoot, it's been out of production for years, and for my purposes I don't think I want to take a chance on a pig in a poke. Even though at most you just roll the rifle on it's right side after every firing to let the extracted-but-not-ejected brass roll out. I think that would annoy me to no end and I'd be aggravated having to pay for gunsmithing work to fix something that should've worked from the factory.

The newer Model Sevens in .300 BLK which are available with camo plastic stocks seem to be getting good reviews, and I haven't seen any feeding issues reported so far. These look like copies of the original AAC model but with different stocks (without adjustable cheekpieces), and idk if the scope bolt holes are still enlarged or not. The rail looks the same. Cheapest one I could find online was $606. Really tempting but as of tonight I'm still thinking Tikka. I want a *nice* rifle when I'm done; this will be the first bolt rifle I've built since an '09 Argentine Mauser when I was 14. Times have really changed since then.

Haven’t read reviews on it and never seen one in the wild. But every time I see the pic I start trying to justify one in my collection.

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/...00-blk-pistol/

Site Supporter
    As best I can tell - you cannot just buy a Tikka action - you buy a rifle and strip it down to the action and (hopefully) sell the stock, barrel, etc.

I recently built a Savage 223 for a long range trainer. Bought a Cabelas 10T and removed barrel (sold on eBay) and AccuStock (sold locally) then installed a Shaw 26 inch, 1-7, threaded 5/8x24 barrel to shoot 80s at extended COAL. Did all the work myself - amazed at how easy to swap barrels on a Savage. You could do same to 300 BO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    As best I can tell - you cannot just buy a Tikka action - you buy a rifle and strip it down to the action and (hopefully) sell the stock, barrel, etc.
    Yes. Hopefully the unfired barrel's worth $150 (???), and I'm planning to just rebarrel at this point. I'd probably buy the tools and do it myself using a Criterion or similar barrel-nut style locking system. I'd give the factory stock a chance; I'm used to traditional stocks anyway.

I have the Ruger Ranch, and have not put enough rounds through it to render a valid opinion, but Magpul makes their stock and more and more barrel makers are offering jam nut barrels.

ETA: I am not comparing the Ruger to imply that it is "nice" but I do like the three lug bolt for DBM feeding.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-12-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Yes. Hopefully the unfired barrel's worth $150 (???), and I'm planning to just rebarrel at this point. I'd probably buy the tools and do it myself using a Criterion or similar barrel-nut style locking system. I'd give the factory stock a chance; I'm used to traditional stocks anyway.
    I would do some searching on Tikka barrel swaps. 1) Tikka OEM barrels supposed to be very hard to remove - may want to research techniques there and 2) there are prefits available for Tikka that are shouldered and do not require barrel nuts (aka Savage).

Site Supporter
    I saw a mention of the original AAC / Model 7 having too light of a barrel contour for suppressor use, saying it needed to be heavier. Idk if the person saying that knew what they were talking about.

Is there a rule of thumb for barrel contour size vs barrel length for suppressor use? Let's say you'd like the barrel to maintain POI and accuracy for 10 shots fired in 2 minutes.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    @e_stern - how about some non-barreled Tikka actions? I think the market is ready.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List