Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout Bolt Actions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Basically the AAC Micro Seven is a great concept but a crap-shoot, it's been out of production for years, and for my purposes I don't think I want to take a chance on a pig in a poke.
    I have the AAC Micro Seven, which I had modified to accept a DBM. The only problem I've had is that the magazine springs were designed for 5.56 ammo and not the heavier 300 BLK bullets. So I had to remove the spring and stretch it, then reinstall it -- which seems to have resolved the issue. But I've only been using it with 110 grain bullets.

I bought the rifle before Ruger released their version of the American Ranch that uses AR mags, or I probably would have ended up with one of those instead.

I saw a mention of the original AAC / Model 7 having too light of a barrel contour for suppressor use, saying it needed to be heavier. Idk if the person saying that knew what they were talking about.

Is there a rule of thumb for barrel contour size vs barrel length for suppressor use? Let's say you'd like the barrel to maintain POI and accuracy for 10 shots fired in 2 minutes.
    I haven't noticed the Micro Seven stringing shots more than any other rifle with a similar barrel profile. And I only shoot it with a suppressor installed.

I have been thinking about Uinta Precision:

https://uintahprecision.com/
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have you thought about just loading subsonic.308?
    I had not. The idea of larger volume case and tiny powder charges gave me pause. I read into it some last night and pistol powders were completely off the table (other than maybe Unique, is there anything it can't do?). It seems like the go to powder is Trail Boss.

I found this data from Hodgdon:

Hodgdon Subsonic Load Data

Hodgdon H4895 60% Rule

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This. The .300 BLK is awesome if you can feed from AR mags, but if that's not on the table and you're just going to have 4-5 rounds in an ordinary box mag in a hunting gun, the reloading bench might be a cheaper solution than a gunsmith.

I have a plan to work up a load of the 120-gr Barnes black tip that doesn't quite work as good as it looks in .300 BLK to about 2500-2600 fps from a .308. Should be very soft-shooting for old-busted shoulders and small people (both youngsters and wimminfolk) and effective well past where .300 starts being iffy.

The other argument for a dedicated .300 BLK bolt gun is overall compactness, i.e., "mini" action size. Gets the overall size and weight down. However, I'll just note that compact stocks for Tikkas are readily available. Saw a CTR stock with the stickers still on it go for $85 shipped last week on another site.
    My plan was to use 10 round MDT polymer AICS magazines in a chassis like the Pork Sword, Brownells/MDT or JTAC (pistol) or KRG (SBR). The compact bolt gun was the draw, as well as I like to have more than one gun in a particular caliber.

I would also like the ability to shoot supersonics, which is what I mostly do know anyway. I'm not sure how well a pistol brace would stand up to 308 super or how much I'd want to shoot it out of ~10" barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    That is certainly the idea. I think I have seen it before. Do you have one? Can you speak to the Howa mini action magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I have been thinking about Uinta Precision:

https://uintahprecision.com/
    That's interesting. The trigger compatibility thing is odd. I wonder why Geissele won't work.

No I don’t. Just found it while looking for something else. The mags give me pause just due to the propriety nature. If it took AR mags it would be much better I think.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There have been many reports of Howa Mini actions having trouble feeding Grendel. I don't know if there's a settled fix for it, but the reports were that Legacy was typically not helpful. I don't believe the problem carries over to other cartridges.

The proprietary mags are expensive.

It seems dumb to not use AR mags, but it has occurred to me that there may be prohibitions on possessing AR mags in certain jurisdictions where Howa may want to sell these rifles. We had a poster here awhile ago who was in Japan and used a 1301 for hunting, but couldn't get approval from his overlords to acquire a Zhukov forend because it was not an accessory meant for the shotgun they had so graciously allowed him to possess. In an environment where no civilian is permitted to possess an AR, that might logically include any AR parts, such as magazines.

Of course, that's all just speculation. (AKA, making stuff up...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I figured this thread could use a picture:

Name:  micro7_2.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  78.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Welp, I got over my paralysis and bought a Ranch. The trigger is actually just fine, don't think I'll touch it. The bolt is sloppy and cheap, and the slop allows the lugs to not line up exactly with the locking recesses, but if you really ram it, it'll go home anyway. It'll also go home if you pay a little attention and close it normally. Stock feels fine for my purposes. My first non-AR with a threaded barrel.

I actually picked between the two on the shelf at my LGS by which one's thread cap threaded more smoothly. They were one S/N apart and one was very gritty while the other was smooth. It was the only difference I could tell between them.

I bought this as a stopgap while I wait for Tikka to come out with something. I'm not spending a ton of $$ to convert one when they might just send one over next year already made the way I like. In the meantime I have *something.*

Have not shot it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I bought this as a stopgap while I wait for Tikka to come out with something. I'm not spending a ton of $$ to convert one when they might just send one over next year already made the way I like. In the meantime I have *something.*
    @e_stern

16.5" threaded barrel, .223 CTR bottom metal and mags.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    @e_stern

16.5" threaded barrel, .223 CTR bottom metal and mags.
    That is EXACTLY what is needed. Nothing more complicated than that, do not deviate from CTR mags. @e_stern

User Tag List