Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nineteen Years Ago, I Phoned The Desk Sergeant...

I watched TV for much of the day, to see the coverage, then, finally, did my best to get some small bit of rest. I worked my usual 2200 to 0600 shift, running the normal range of patrol calls, with added “alert slip” assignments, for areas in my district deemed to need extra attention, then proceeded to an OT special assignment, 0600-1400, the morning of the Twelfth, posted in front of an office building, in which the Israeli Consulate occupied one floor.

The Israelis were nice folks. They brought some quite good take-out food to me, and when they learned I only had 00 buck, in my shotgun, they went shopping, unsuccessfully, to try to get me some slugs. I was not worried about not having slugs; that was why I had my GP100, as a “bag gun,” with which I could out-reach my 1911 duty pistol, and the shotgun. My shotgun had a Vang-Comped barrel, for tight patterns, and I had been bringing my GP100 along, already, as my “pocket carbine.” It made sense to tote an auto-loader, on my duty belt, to make best use of available real estate, but I liked having my older duty revolver handy, in the car.

Our shotgun slug range had been closed, due to construction, and not re-opened, so, it had been considered against the rules to carry slugs, by 2001, due to not being able to qual yearly. Later, that rule was re-interpreted, so that slugs were grandfathered, for those of us who had successfully completed the Select-Slug class, and had a current qual with 00 buckshot. (The old shotgun-specific range had been built in an especially remote area, in the sticks, due to a supposedly freakish ricochet, that had gone over a high berm, left SWAT’s rifle range, and injured a cadet, at the academy.) Some time later, a new range was built, deemed able to handle all types of ammo.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I was at MEPS, waiting for my flight to Parris Island SC for Boot Camp, Having signed up back in March of that year. Watched it on the TV in the waiting room, with all the other poolee's , recruiters and other service members glancing around nervously at each other, wondering what we had just gotten into and watching reality slap some right in the face. Flight was obviously cancelled... Ended up being sent back home and waiting two weeks to get down there due to the delay. Made it to boot camp on Sept 24th 2001...., Just submitted my appendix J retirement papers for October 2021.... will have been 20 years, much of it motivated by that day.

Editied to add- just noticed this was in the LE section and not the General discussion thread.
    You are more than welcome to post here, Marine!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I did nothing heroic, that day.
    I beg to differ:

...and asked if I should return downtown, to Central Patrol, and report for extra duty. It was mid-morning, Central Daylight Savings Time. I had already worked a night shift, until 0600 Hours, but I was not sleepy.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I should add, this was in Houston, Texas. I did nothing heroic, that day.
    You are more than welcome to post here, Marine!
    Hoping that applies to the intel folks as well. This story only told to lighten the mood. At the time, there was little lightness.

I too was in Houston, at a knowledge management conference at the Houstonian. 2 of our hosts came into the room in tears. I went to the bar and watched the endless replays.

I suggested all of us remove conference id's because the extent to which we didn't know what was happening was infinite.

OK, let's get to the mothership: Rental company demanded we return our cars. My first response was to try to find an alternative, knowing that our deputy director, who would inevitably come up with a singular solution that would make everything transportation worse, would succeed. He did not disappoint (go Greyhound!). Eventually, I told the rental company they'd have their car at BWI asap.

Traveling with married boss's married girlfriend, ("When do you want your girlfriend home? You're going to pay for this rental, right?") I was on fascinating ground (They knew I knew and had previously bought me an amazing steak lunch in discussing same). Day one, she was constantly on my phone with both future and past parties. I eventually shifted phone to left pocket (I was driving) and explained that I was done with many flavors of bs and that she could call from where ever we landed for the evening. Pouting and blissful silent treatment ensued.

First stop was Beaumont for gas and the state-wide response seemed to be to hop in a gas line. WTF? 2 hours later, back on the road. Wind up in Jackson for the night. Catch up on the day's events to include TX gov's promise to come down hard on anyone gouging gas prices. Go, gov, Go!

A pillow was stolen to give my back a chance of surviving the hyundai experience. Co-traveler gets flirty, having supplied said pillow? Hyundai starts to both smoke and use a lot of oil. We make it to Blacksburg after going through a sunset in perhaps one of the most beautiful parts of the country. So romantic. Blacksburg hotel staff were laughing at what's happening at dinner. I tactically outdrink ("of course we want another bottle of Sutter Home White Zinfandel") my, now, nemesis and safely make the trip to my room.

Drop her off in Columbia and then drop the car, that is now blowing steam AND smoke out of several places. I go back to work to "Won't back down" signs only to find that the facility is shut down until further notice.

I did nothing heroic those few days.

Site Supporter
    I approached my LT and told him I was willing to go...

His response was "do they need more people?"

pat

Site Supporter
    I had seen something on a newsfeed and assumed it was an idiot in a small plane. My significant other then called to tell me to turn on the news. Department called evening shift in early and held daywork over. At some point,the acting chief called the daywork sergeant and me into the officer to discuss whether we should keep daywork longer.

My response: "It's gong to be a long war." Unfortunately, I was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I was at MEPS, waiting for my flight to Parris Island SC for Boot Camp, Having signed up back in March of that year. Watched it on the TV in the waiting room, with all the other poolee's , recruiters and other service members glancing around nervously at each other, wondering what we had just gotten into and watching reality slap some right in the face. Flight was obviously cancelled... Ended up being sent back home and waiting two weeks to get down there due to the delay. Made it to boot camp on Sept 24th 2001...., Just submitted my appendix J retirement papers for October 2021.... will have been 20 years, much of it motivated by that day.

Editied to add- just noticed this was in the LE section and not the General discussion thread.
    SFMF!!

Where to begin...
    I was MSgt KellyinAvon, USAF. Stationed at Eglin AFB, FL and TDY at Langley AFB, VA. I remember where I was, I remember who I was with. We thought it was an accident when we heard the first plane hit the tower. I remember where we were when we found out it was no accident.

Got a briefing: 1st Fighter Wing was flying CAP over DC. Rules of engagement: if you fly, you die.

Cell phones weren't that prevalent in 2001. My boss had one, I called my wife. The entire Air Force had gone Force Protection Condition (FPCON) DELTA. They were searching all cars coming on base, she couldn't find the hood release. Our oldest son was a freshman in high school. The bus got stopped coming on base. Kids that age had dependent IDs, very few under driving age carried their IDs. That changed after 9/11.

Needless to say we (me, my boss, and my boss's boss) were driving the 900 miles home. Went to Norfolk IAP to swap rental cars. It was scary quiet.

Got back to Eglin AFB about 2300 on 12 Sep. East Gate (Valparaiso/Niceville), lots of light carts with lots of lights. Peacekeeper (armored Dodge Ramcharger) with an M-60, ammo belt hanging from the weapon. I remember looking at that and thinking that the world I knew would never return.

I was Chief of Police of a small village in Nebraska, about 700 souls. I was chief as the only full-timer...had two part-timers that gave me days off. Basically a "night cop" gig.

I felt a peculiar kind of helplessness, watching it on TV and knowing there was not a damn thing I could do about it. So I just did my job the best I knew how.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I had gotten out of the shower and was having a cup of tea, watching the news and film of the first tower on fire. Then the second plane hit and I felt my stomach sink and indescribable anger at the same time. I called work and asked if I should bring in my K9, the dayshift sergeant told me to leave him at home and continue to the Active Shooter training we were having that day. It was eerie at the convention center where the first part of the training was being held. No planes overhead except at a break around 1000 hours a Korean Air 747 flew past with an F16 with missiles mounted on each wing. I didn't know there were F16s in range of SFO. One of the officers from another department was trying to find out information about her brother, a USSS agent who was posted at the WTC. Somebody loaned her a cell phone and she used every break to call and try to find out some information. Later, after lunch, we moved to a vacant high school for the force on force part of the day. The officer with the USSS brother was visibly upset, and her lieutenant berated her about not paying attention to the training, in front of many of us. We were doing the 5-6 officer diamonds with a leader in the middle and a tailgunner. When the first sims rounds started flying, I planted every round I could in that fat lieutenant's ass, every chance I got, all day long. Turns out I wasn't the only one doing it. After a frustrating day of training, someone remembered that the closure plan for SFO required more officers because it had not been updated in something like 20 years. They asked if anyone wanted to work OT at 2400 and I volunteered. Went home, ate, walked the dog and met at the staging area where they promptly sent all of us from the training event home. My MIL, who worked in banking, relayed that some her colleagues in NY were missing, including one that had attended my wedding.

User Tag List