Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nineteen Years Ago, I Phoned The Desk Sergeant...

Nineteen Years Ago, I Phoned The Desk Sergeant...

...and asked if I should return downtown, to Central Patrol, and report for extra duty. It was mid-morning, Central Daylight Savings Time. I had already worked a night shift, until 0600 Hours, but I was not sleepy. Adrenaline, I reckon.

I have forgotten many of the days, in my life, related to my LE career, but not that day, and, September Twelfth also stirs vivid memories.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I should add, this was in Houston, Texas. I did nothing heroic, that day.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I was awakened by a call from family, then moments later there was a banging on the front door from my neighbor, a former marine. My wife was in DC, a mile from the Pentagon, for a USDA conference. They all heard and felt the explosion from the plane impact. Could t get ahold of her until late in the afternoon, and had to go in to work.

Several guys had just come in early or on days off, out of a sense of duty. The Chief angrily ordered them all sent home, with the word that no one was getting overtime for this. When someone tried to explain to him the possible need for additional resources, he said "It happened on the east coast. It has nothing to do with us." I shit you not.

That was long day and weeks to follow, with everyone expecting additional shoes to drop.

I was at MEPS, waiting for my flight to Parris Island SC for Boot Camp, Having signed up back in March of that year. Watched it on the TV in the waiting room, with all the other poolee's , recruiters and other service members glancing around nervously at each other, wondering what we had just gotten into and watching reality slap some right in the face. Flight was obviously cancelled... Ended up being sent back home and waiting two weeks to get down there due to the delay. Made it to boot camp on Sept 24th 2001...., Just submitted my appendix J retirement papers for October 2021.... will have been 20 years, much of it motivated by that day.

Editied to add- just noticed this was in the LE section and not the General discussion thread.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

I was at FLETC, for the Firearms Instructor Training Program. At the time I was ASAC for Operations for a deployable DOD Antiterrorism unit. I heard about the first plane, assumed it was some idiot trying to fly a piper cub or some such between the towers. I watched the second plane go in, then stepped outside to call back to home base to find out where I was going, and when.

To this day I feel sick in the pit of my stomach every time this date rolls around. Nothing at all I could have done that would have had any remote influence on those events, but it still feels like a personal failure that the bastards got to punch us first.

I was in my office with Fox News on in the background. With the news of two planes had hit, I interrupted the Director's staff meeting. I pulled two new agents out of their academy class and armed them, then ended up at a desk overlooking the front entrance with an MP5 on my lap and support equipment underneath the desk. The Director did not know that securing the doors meant a log chain, so I was the next best stop gap. I had access to a news feed. Made for a pretty somber day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I was at MEPS, waiting for my flight to Parris Island SC for Boot Camp, Having signed up back in March of that year. Watched it on the TV in the waiting room, with all the other poolee's , recruiters and other service members glancing around nervously at each other, wondering what we had just gotten into and watching reality slap some right in the face. Flight was obviously cancelled... Ended up being sent back home and waiting two weeks to get down there due to the delay. Made it to boot camp on Sept 24th 2001...., Just submitted my appendix J retirement papers for October 2021.... will have been 20 years, much of it motivated by that day.

Editied to add- just noticed this was in the LE section and not the General discussion thread.
    Thank you for those 20 years.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I was pursuing my post-Army dream of a career in IT and hating it. 9/11 changed the trajectory of a lot of lives. It directly altered mine onto a path that lead to the police department. It's tough to say what the path untaken would have lead to, but I think the change was a positive for me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was awoken by my wife and watched the second tower get hit live.

I wasn't due to be at work until 1000 hours but I put on the BDU uniform, vest, and gun belt and fired up the Crown Vic. Grabbed some extra 12 gauge rounds (no rifles back then only my personal 870) and some extra Beretta 92 magazines and headed out. I had a third of the issued and personal gear I carry around today.

Heck, I think we all reported for duty....regardless of if it was an off day or the wrong shift. We all just came in because.....reasons.

I was assigned to protect City Hall and check IDs. My wife didn't work then and my son was very small so I didn't have to worry about them and just focus on my tasks.

19 years? Seems like yesterday.

Regards.

I was assigned to a narcotics squad, (as punishment for my poor attitude toward management), and was just getting up after a long night at work when I got a message from a forum buddy, (someone I'd met in person and who lived locally), directing me to turn on the news. Needless to say I was aghast.

I rushed back to work to find out I was being transferred back to my previous group which worked several cases in concert with the JTTF.

Mentioned to my bosses that I thought we needed to develop a plan for the air and seaports in case there was more trouble inbound.

Was told in no uncertain terms that we had an evidence room audit coming in the next few days and that all available hands had to make sure that the books and the evidence matched up. I tried to press my argument and stated that the evidence wasn't going anywhere...but was overruled.

(Pretty much knew then, if I hadn't before, that my days working for Uncle were numbered after that. I just couldn't abide yet another failure to take what I thought were prudent steps in furtherance of the mission.)

Worked cases for the next couple, three years, some of which were tangentially related to 9/11 and related events, until I could put my papers in and bid the gov't adieu.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List