Thread: Week 389: Grounded Reaching

Week 389: Grounded Reaching

Week 389: Grounded Reaching

Results may be posted until October 11th, 2020.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: Shooter’s choice
    Target: USPSA upper A-zone
    Par time: Shooter’s choice
    Start Position: Holstered – see below for alternatives
    Rounds Fired: Varies

The title (and goal) of this drill refers to a productive application of your existing skill level. The task is to select a distance and time where you can draw and hit a USPSA upper A-zone at least three times consecutively – and there’s a little more to it than that.

Procedure: Hang the target at a distance of your choice. Set the par time of your choice. The handgun starts loaded and holstered – if restricted by range rules, you can start at ready instead. At the start signal, draw/present and fire one shot to the upper A-zone. If you draw/present and hit the upper A-zone three times consecutively AND under the par time, you have successfully completed the drill and it is over.

Each time the shooter fails – whether on accuracy, time, or both – add one to the number of consecutive successful repetitions required to complete the drill. Example: The shooter sets the target at 25 yards and chooses a 5-second par time. The shot misses the upper A-zone and is fired at 7.5 seconds, which fails on both accuracy and time. The shooter now must perform four repetitions successfully in order to complete the drill. If the shooter fails again, they must now complete five consecutive repetitions to complete the drill, and so on.

Change the distance/time parameters anytime you wish. Same example continued: The shooter who set the target at 25 yards and used a 5-second par might conclude that they are unlikely, having failed once, to complete (now four!) consecutive attempts. Rather than continuing to dig a deeper hole by attempting more shots that are not certain enough, the shooter might sensibly conclude that they should try a distance and time that they can realistically make three times consecutively.

Here’s a little math to drive the point home: If a shooter has a 50% success rate on a given shot, that shooter has a 12.5% chance of making three consecutive hits right out of the gate (.5 x .5 x .5 = .125). That is not a good bet. That shooter is highly likely to stack up more and more required successful reps to complete the drill. They would be better served by selecting a distance and time where they have a lot higher than 50% success rate.

At the other extreme, a shooter might select a task that is SO far within their skill level that the drill essentially contains no challenge. The reason not to do that lies between the shooter, their pride, and the internet. I personally would like to post success on a drill that was at least somewhat challenging to me, rather than so easy that there was basically no risk of failure. Pick the toughest shot that you think you can make three times in a row. This will require skill, a realistic frame of reference of that skill, and humility.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (concealed, holstered, ready)
    Starting distance and par time
    Any changes to the distance or par that you made along the way
    How many successful consecutive reps you ended up needing to make
    Pass (successfully completed the required number of consecutive reps) or Fail (fell in a hole, didn’t get out, and gave up)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I liked this one even though I messed it up:

PX4CC, JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 under a polo shirt. IDPA target.

5 yards, 2.2 seconds: 1.98, 1.98, 2.11 (slightly fouled draw)

Pass, BUT I realized after packing up my gear that I’d shot the LOWER -0 zone. However, all my hits were inside a very shot-up 3” circle that I’d been shooting groups on - do I’ll still call it a pass.

Next time I’ll try 2.1 at the upper zone. The blank target messes with my head, so it should be a little more challenging.

5" m&p 2.0 with 1.0 core upper and holosun 407c
    Dark Star Gear Orion
    Concealed under a button down shirt
    Start position - fence/hands up/surrender

Distance - 7 yards
    Goal - 2 seconds

Clean on first try. Then tried the same at 10 but only had 50% hits out of 10 rounds and quit before putting any more ammo at it.

First - 1.69 hit
    Second - 1.90 hit
    Third - 1.72 hit

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

PX4CC, JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 under a polo shirt. Target was an RFTS-Q (4” head circle). The visible circle probably makes this easier than an expanse of brown cardboard.

I was well warmed up after a Wizard Drill and Press Six

I went for 5 yards in 2.0 and made it in three shots: 1.88, 1.99 (whew), 1.80. I think next time I’ll extend the distance - maybe 7 yards in 2.10.

This is a really good one. Gabe, thanks for the time you take to post these.

PX4CC, JMCK IWB at 4 o'clock under an unbuttoned shirt. IDPA target.

I was excited to try this one again, but plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, I think the enemy was my rustiness with drawing from behind the hip. Six months of pandemic have gotten me used to the appendix carry lifestyle.

Mindful of that possibility, I decided to try for 7 yards in 2.2 seconds. The first shot was 2.40 and missed, followed by a hit in 2.33. I started stuffing ammo into the mag to fulfill my extra obligations, and realized that a miss or two would leave me short of what I needed for the D-Platoon qual. Called it a day for this one, but may try again next week.

This one hasn’t gotten nearly the love it deserves.

PX4CC, Wing Claw 2.5, untucked polo shirt.

All at 7 yards:

2.2 second par: M, 1.93, 2.07, M - decided to ease up a little, so ...

2.3 second par: M, M, 2.15, 2.29, M ...realized I still had the par set for 2.2.

2.3 (really): 2.17, M, M

Decided to try 2.5 because I’d already passed the Wizard Drill: ~2.2, 2.11, 2.12

So what I observed over the last few weeks is that I can consistently shoot accurately, well within a par time (like 0.2 under) as long as the par time is generous enough not to make me feel rushed. Now I need to capture the same mental state while consciously reducing times.

User Tag List