Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lemans 2020

My son had the opportunity to go and work with a team in 2006. It was the summer before his senior year in college and he had a blast and learned a lot.

He's in the group pic of Paul Belmondo Racing.
    Name:  2006 Lemans.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  12.2 KB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    3 Days baby.

They pretty deliberately showed them passing the Vette and later crashing it out. I don't know the context of that wreck, but I kinda hope Chevy crushes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    They pretty deliberately showed them passing the Vette and later crashing it out. I don't know the context of that wreck, but I kinda hope Chevy crushes them.
    https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...-mans/4791054/

Team Aston Martin tops the six-car Friday Hyperpole grid with an excellent 1-2 at Thursday’s Qualifying in LM GTE Pro. Well done boys.

Team AF Corse nipped 3-4 at the end of the session, leaving the Porsche Factory team to round out 5-6 in the shootout field.

Name:  055E428D-4404-45C7-AC70-F4C4298ACDF1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  50A57FEA-43F3-4BA4-8B63-2DC3452467C6.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  78.7 KB
    Quick Vic by Roger Warrick

“Quick Vic” is of course Vic Elford, at the controls of the mighty Porsche 917LH doing 240mph - in the rain - down the Mulsanne Straight at LeMans in 1970. Brian Redman in the Gulf-Porsche is shown alongside
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Pole sitters have been set after Friday's Hyperpole shootout. Congrats to Toyota Gazoo Racing for an impressive showing again this year to snag P1 overall:

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-18 06-44-33.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  55.2 KB

My team #92 Porsche works car ended up P6, but the #91 will start first in LM GTE Pro, just ahead on the grid of the AF Corse Ferrari 488 Evo, last year's winning car.

Looking forward to the rolling start of the race at 14:30 local time in France tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-18-2020 at 05:52 AM.

This should be good news for endurance racing and more IMSA teams being able to compete in Le Mans or WEC.

"To have the same car be able to run at Daytona and Le Mans is an expectation of all of our manufacturer partners, and can you only imagine how this is going to make our fans feel?"
    https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/09/18...BZYVR4FI-etj_U

This link has been working well if you want to stream it.

Eurosport video feed with audio from Radio Le Mans

Whelp 12:30AM local time...In LM GTE Pro My #92 Porsche werks team is likely out of the running, going 12 laps down due to some power steering problem or other. Bummer. The other works car #91 is clinging on a lap or two down, Not going to be Porsche's year for the 911 RSR-19s I don't think.

The Aston Martin's are still running strong, the #97 Aston Martin Racing is in P1. Second and third are held by the #51 and #71 AF Corsa Ferrari's, with P4 occupied by the second #95 Aston.

Some rain is predicted before sunrise, and weird things happen overnight at Lemans. A long way to go until the end.

Well done to the winners!

LMP 1 #8 - Toyota Gazoo Racing
    LMP 2 #22 - United Autosports Oreca Gibson
    LM GTE Pro - #97 - Aston Martin Racing Vantage AMR
    LM GTE Am - #90 - Aston Martin Racing Vantage AMR

Whelp, my Porsche Works team finished a very disappointing P5 and P6 out of 8 cars in LM GTE Pro, 11 and 15 laps off the pace. I didn't hear what happened to the #91 car overnight yet, but the #92 had some power steering issues. Despite a pole-sitting P1 start, the 911 RSR 19s seemed off the pace the whole race. And of course, you can't win if you are in the pits fixing stuff.

But total congratulations to Aston Martin, they won two well deserved class wins.

Looking forward to 2021. I was reading one of the blogs, and found these comments pretty informative about where the entries are going to be next year. @FAS1 note the part in bold, I think this is what you were referring to?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...og/ar-BB19cLyQ

Next year, the race will debut the Le Mans Hypercar class, joining current LMP1 cars grandfathered in to create a larger battle for the overall win. In 2022, Peugeot will join the grid, providing Toyota with its only guaranteed factory competition since Porsche left the sport after the 2017 race. Later that season, Hypercars will be joined by IMSA's new LMDh category, completing a top-level prototype convergence that will, finally, return both European and American prototype racing to a shared set of regulations, and allow IMSA teams to compete for an overall win at Le Mans.

All of this paints a picture of a bright future, one that will make every upcoming race more interesting than the next. All of that, however, is next. Now, the 24 hour classic is being run with its least competitive professional field in many, many years. Toyota faces some competition from the Rebellion Racing team that has given them trouble throughout the FIA World Endurance Championship season, but a lack of the success ballast that has kept Rebellion in that series means the Toyotas should still easily overwhelm the Rebellions on race pace. The LMP1 battle will come down to whether or not Toyota can finish the race at their full pace.

In GTE-Pro, the loss of Porsche's American program, BMW's European program, and Ford's two-car programs from both regions has cut the field by eight cars, while Corvette Racing's inability to make their way to France and back for the event has removed two more. Just eight cars are left in the category, two each from Porsche and Aston Martin Racing in competition with four Ferraris. While the field may be thin and unimpressive by its usual standards, it will nonetheless be expected to provide yet another fantastic, competitive race.

The losses in LMP1 and GTE-Pro have led to greatly expanded fields in LMP2 and GTE-Am, with the LMP2 field being particularly exciting. Due in no small part to issues in other classes, that category has seen a massive influx of driving talent, creating a 24-car field full of cars that will be anchored by a driver that would have, in other years, been a part of a factory LMP1 program gunning for an overall win. GTE-Am's 22 entries aren't quite as exciting, but there sure are many of them.

User Tag List