Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New: DAA Alpha XiP Competition Magazine Pouches

New: DAA Alpha XiP Competition Magazine Pouches

I saw a video on a new polymer implementation of the DAA Xi mag pouch, the XiP (P for Polymer). I'm in the market for a new set of pouches, so I thought I would ask the hive what their opinions was on these. I have not seen pricing announced yet, but I would guess somewhere in the $42 ea range.

Thoughts?

I can't speak for the XIP, but I found the adjustment on the DAA racer pouches kinda of a PITA to deal with... Sometimes it is tough to find a Torx key...

I still really like the Ghost pouches and have had good luck with these cheap Amazon pouches:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$35 for a set of 3, vs. $30 for one pouch. IDK... At the end of the day, it just holds a magazine...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

...and have had good luck with these cheap Amazon pouches:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks Les. Those look pretty functional. How do they hold up with normal use? I'll likely order some to try them out. Can't beat that price if they work.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks Les. Those look pretty functional. How do they hold up with normal use? I'll likely order some to try them out. Can't beat that price if they work.
    They're the no-brand Black Scorpion stuff... They've held up on a rig pretty well... If you're going to use them in ECQC, I don't think any gamer gear is going to work well... But for USPSA, you'll be fine.

I bought one to try at 13.00 before going all out and getting three.

They are OK, not great, but perfectly functional, as long as you don't go prone.

The first thin is, since I'm a lefty I got to completely disassemble them to convert.

While I had them apart, I decided to make them a little bit more rigid by inserting some nylon bushings at the bottom front of the mag pouch (the white in the picture). They are adjustable up and down on the holder, 360 degrees for mag angle, and a limited amount for outward tilt.

I modified one of mine to place it on a Blade Tech mount. The hex head bolts block the holder from sliding down, but that is okay with me, I put it as high in the slot as it would go.

The up an down, angle, and tilt are all controlled by an hex head bolt that can be seen in the center of the hole on the outside of the magazine body. They stay in place through normal movement, however I found that when going prone, my body weight moved the mag holder body. After this happened, I decided to leave the covers off the outside of the magazine holder body so I could quickly adjust and tighten. I bought these for action pistol and there are no stages requiring a reload that I can shoot prone on, so I also put the one on the Blade Tech holder so I can quickly take it off my belt for prone stages.

Name:  Mag Holder.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  31.3 KB Name:  MagHolder 2.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  34.2 KB

Notice the cool G flag I used to cover the washer

All in all I've been pleased with these. I just started shooting USPSA at the ripe old age of 66, and once I move up to a higher class, I'll probably get some high speed mag holders to wear in the nursing home.

I still haven't found a mag pouch I like better that the CR Speed.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

While I had them apart, I decided to make them a little bit more rigid by inserting some nylon bushings at the bottom front of the mag pouch (the white in the picture). They are adjustable up and down on the holder, 360 degrees for mag angle, and a limited amount for outward tilt.
    Thanks Dan, lefty here also. I suspect it's obvious after you take them apart, but the nylon bushing you sourced, is that from e.g. the specialty fasteners drawer at Lowe's or Ace hardware? What size did you find that worked well?

I'll probably go ahead and order at least one and maybe four of these here shortly.

I have the DA Racers also, they’re ok. I’m barely smart enough to get the correct combination spacers installed for my application. If I remember correctly the instructions weren’t real helpful. The pouches in the OP seem unnecessarily complex to me.

My son uses the CR speed versa pouch with C-bax. If I were starting over that’s what I’d buy.

Ghost pouches have been fine but the bracket digs into my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks Dan, lefty here also. I suspect it's obvious after you take them apart, but the nylon bushing you sourced, is that from e.g. the specialty fasteners drawer at Lowe's or Ace hardware? What size did you find that worked well?

I'll probably go ahead and order at least one and maybe four of these here shortly.
    It was Ace. Don't remember the size, I'll look in the shop tomorrow and see if I have one left.

I use the DAA racer pouches and have used them for several years now after trying cr speed and ghost. I was breaking the ghost pouches left and right, and I hated the small posts that stick up on each corner of the pouch.

I really like the leaf spring tension system in the DAA pouches (ghost uses a similar system). The mag is held firmly, but as soon you start to pull it it pops out. My one complaint with these is they will loosen up and start to wobble. I keep a spare allen wrench in a few places in my uspsa gear and range bag and tighten them up from time to time.

Edit: after watching the video, these are even more intriguing to me. I like the ball joint concept if it actually stays put once set.
    Last edited by Gio; 09-30-2020 at 07:14 PM.

User Tag List