Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Form 4 processing time?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Regular firearms checks are mostly automated and done by NICS which is part of the FBI.

I think you are talking about delays.

NFA applications are handled by NFA examiners who work for ATF.

I believe there is a dispute going on between agencies over who is responsible for adjudicating delayed NICS transactions. It’s possible ATF has tasked NFA examiners with filling the gap.

9-12 months is average and has been for sometime however I was pleasantly surprised my last form 4 (trust via silencer shop) took 5 months (Feb 2020 -July 2020)

I agree that he's likely talking about delays. A lot of transactions need very minimal human input to clear a delay (usually misidentification since NICS is name-based). For firearm purchases, the NICS Section tends to clear these quickly to avoid default proceeds after three days. Since there is no deadline in the case of NFA firearms (NFA firearms are technically exempt from NICS even though NICS is still used by ATF as the background check on all NFA transfers), the NICS Section isn't very timely in clearing these delays.

But, this isn't the real source of long wait times. The 40+ touchpoints that exist in the extremely antiquated NFA process are the real problem. NFA transfers could easily be instant or near instant with available technology, but we're still sending paper forms to a bank where they are batched and then sent back to ATF for processing.

I've got Form 4s in from Feb and May. I got my Feb form kicked back for documentation questions last week and sent in a clarification, which means they're actually looking at it at last. I'm hoping that means I'll get my can soon, and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get my new shawty-gauge for Christmas.

My suppressor Form 4 took about 8 months (got my stamp in July).

My eFiled Form 1 for my SBR took about 5 weeks.

Site Supporter
    I went complete on 2 efiled Form 1s (trust) on 8/5 and I'm still waiting.

First experience with NFA and its driving me nuts. The suppressor wait starting later this month is going to kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post

First experience with NFA and its driving me nuts. The suppressor wait starting later this month is going to kill me.
    You need to just forget about it and then when its ready its a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post

Just had an efile Form 1 on a trust come back in 16 days! I have used this trust before for 5 other items so that might have sped up,the process. Also just sent in 2 paper Form 4s, why can’t they get the Form 4s up on efile, so much more efficient than the 1” thick packet I just mailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My paperwork for my can was submitted through Silencer Shop on May 1st. I used their kiosk to complete everything and did a trust through them also. My FFL called today to let me know my stamp was in. I'm pretty excited! I was anticipating a one year wait.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    My paperwork for my can was submitted through Silencer Shop on May 1st. I used their kiosk to complete everything and did a trust through them also. My FFL called today to let me know my stamp was in. I'm pretty excited! I was anticipating a one year wait.
    That’s great news!
    I expect to submit my paperwork this week, when my SF can arrives at the LGS. I can only hope for such a quick process.

I submitted my form 4 May 15, got the call yesterday to come pick up my can. A little over 5 months wait has me pretty happy.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I submitted two first week of May. They came back October 9.

...now if only the shop I sent them to to be worked on while awaiting the stamp would complete them already so I could take possession.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List