Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q suppressors

Q suppressors

Any thoughts, opinions and/or experiences with?

Dedicated host is short-barreled 300BLK shooting almost exclusively supersonic ammo.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris

I have a love hate thought process with Q. On one hand I see some of their rifles and they look completely bad ass. On the other hand the owner of the company is pretty much the biggest D you will find.

I have no direct experience with them as a company, but the only real negative that I've heard from actual customers is the customer service sucks, or is pretty much non existent. There could have been numerous reasons for that and it might have already been worked out, but that's the only actual negative thing I've heard from actual customers.

If you want a suppressor there are a TON of options out there. It really just depends on what you want it for. What platform? What role will the gun play? Just saying short barrel 300BLK doesn't give enough info. There are short barrel bolt actions out there. Is it for hunting? Are you going to use it in and out of a vehicle? Is it a semi auto? What kind of mounting system are you most interested in? Is weight an issue? What about OAL of the entire setup? What kind of environment will this be in? Super cold winters up in Minnesota or warm all year around in Florida? Is this going to be a night stand gun with a light or is it a pig hunting rig optimized for night time shooting? I could probably think of a few others, but you get the idea.

Most of the time when people ask about a specific brand they already have their minds made up and are simply asking for support on their decision.

If you are not like that it's a good idea to figure out what you will use that rifle for and come up with some more very specific things and work that way. Odds are you will find more than one company that makes great things for you to consider.

I am not trying to sell you on one thing or another. Honestly there are tons of great options, in which case it will pay off to go with an established company with a good track record.

I personally use Griffin cans. Lots of people hate on them but I have had mostly great experiences. And what's even more, they will allow you to upgrade existing suppressors. For example I had an older can of theirs and then they went 2 or 3 generations later and had some really impressive improvements over time. They basically have a program where you can send in the old can and upgrade the baffles. I think the longest I've waited for my cans to get back was like 9 days or something. I've upgraded two different cans. With most other companies you just have to live with what you got or buy another can. I tell that story simply because at some point it will come down to the 'other' category. There really are a whole lot of excellent suppressors on the market. Your job is just to figure out which one fits the best of what you will be using it for.

For me my very first criteria is the mount. Then comes all the other stuff.

Have a .22 El Camino and love it. Have a .22 Erector and not fond of it at all.

Have a Half Nelson in jail now long past "90 day approval time". Hope to compare it to a TBAC Ultra when I can. Depending upon the results, I may or may not purchase any more from them. I also plan on getting a dead air 22 and comparing it against the El Camino sometime in the future.

I wouldn't be afraid of purchasing anything from them, but I'm not by any means certain that they're the hottest stuff on the market.
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 09-21-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Have a .22 El Camino and love it. Have a .22 Erector and not fond of it at all.

Have a Half Nelson in jail now long past "90 day approval time". Hope to compare it to a TBAC Ultra when I can. Depending upon the results, I may or may not purchase any more from them. I also plan on getting a dead air 22 and comparing it against the El Camino sometime in the future.

I wouldn't be afraid of purchasing anything from them, but I'm not by any means certain that they're the hottest stuff on the market.

Can you expand on the El Camino vs Erector? I'm in the market for a .22 suppressor, and was looking hard at the Erector. I liked the idea of a super lightweight unit to put on a .22 pistol. But I'm not sold on any particular can.

Thanks

Q Trash Panda.

I have a Q Trash Panda. So far so good, but don't know that I'd buy it again over everything else out there. The mounting system appealed to me, and has so far worked out fine. I chose it because I didn't know what barrel diameter I'd put in on, and liked that it came with multiple muzzle devices, and I could put the "Whistle Tip" on it when when in brushy bear country. Maximum flexibility.

I'm looking for a dedicated 6.5 can and .22 suppressor next. Probably a direct thread 6.5, so I can take it off for NRA high power matches.
    Q may not be the top of the list, dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Can you expand on the El Camino vs Erector? I'm in the market for a .22 suppressor, and was looking hard at the Erector. I liked the idea of a super lightweight unit to put on a .22 pistol. But I'm not sold on any particular can.

Thanks
    Erector is lighter, I will give it that.

Just don't like the design that much, especially that you have to keep track of a specialized set (made by Q) of wrenches in order to use the modularity features. I already have to keep up with so many specific allen wrenches, torx wrenches and other things for my firearms/scopes/muzzle devices. Keeping up with another set just grinds my gears.

And I can't blame Q for this, but when i went to initially add some pieces on to make it longer, my torque wrench was way out of calibration and i ended up fusing the entire thing together. My fault, should have stopped when my brain said "whoa, this sure feels like more torque than I'm used to for this setting". But now the modularity is completely gone. If anyone can screw something up, it's me.

Guess i don't have to keep up with those specific wrenches after all!

Can't measure it, but to me the El Camino is also quieter, and it handles 17HMR.

cc

There is zero compelling reason to buy Q over a CGS.

CGS is building the quietest .300BO can out there per Pew Science. For dedicated direct thread keeps it simple.

Buy once, cry tears of joy each time you shoot it.

What draws you to Q?

There are so many people producing so many good products these days that unless there is something specific to the Q product that you absolutely must have, I personally would go with something else. Nothing that Q is producing is really terribly unique. I believe that you can find similar or better performance with a competing product for less money.

Kevin may be a brilliant man but holy shit does he come across as an arrogant twat. I just don't want to spend money with someone like that.

Not really drawn to Q rather more like pushed towards Q.

TBAC Ultra7 is the suppressor I want, however, it isn't readily available from the silencer shop. Being somewhat impatient I was looking for a viable substitute.

To answer an earlier question: this is a swamp run-and-gun pig gun. Suppressor needs to be lightweight, fairly short and be hearing safe with supersonic 300blk. It currently wears a 10" 13.5oz form 1 can. I would like the replacement to improve at least 2 of the 3 categories.

Thanks again.

Chris

User Tag List