Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Form 4 processing time?

Site Supporter

Current Form 4 processing time?

I’m contemplating picking up a SF suppressor at my LGS.
    They have some kind of “Virtual ATF kiosk” where they can upload photo, fingerprints, etc, and tell me that it’s taking about a YEAR to get the process completed for new purchases.

Can this be right? I’m new to this suppressor stuff, so looking for the guys with experience to fill me in...

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m contemplating picking up a SF suppressor at my LGS.
    They have some kind of “Virtual ATF kiosk” where they can upload photo, fingerprints, etc, and tell me that it’s taking about a YEAR to get the process completed for new purchases.

Can this be right? I’m new to this suppressor stuff, so looking for the guys with experience to fill me in...
    Unless there has been a massive uptick in suppressor sales I don't think its a year. I had mine done in about 6 months earlier this year. People have reported lower times than that. A year allows them to CYA in terms of expectations.

Site Supporter
    I have a buddy thats an ATF inspector. He said 9-12 months on avg. As he explained NFA items are reviewed after the regular firearm checks that need FBI background checks are completed and with the 300% increase in firearm sales there isn't much time left for NFA reviews, so they sit and wait.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Silencer Shop has some numbers that might be worth taking a look at.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Thanks to all... Looks like 200-ish days or so...
    And I appreciate the insight on resources being used for normal purchases, leaving less time for Form 4s, etc.

Site Supporter
    double tap

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I have a buddy thats an ATF inspector. He said 9-12 months on avg. As he explained NFA items are reviewed after the regular firearm checks that need FBI background checks are completed and with the 300% increase in firearm sales there isn't much time left for NFA reviews, so they sit and wait.
    Regular firearms checks are mostly automated and done by NICS which is part of the FBI.

I think you are talking about delays.

NFA applications are handled by NFA examiners who work for ATF.

I believe there is a dispute going on between agencies over who is responsible for adjudicating delayed NICS transactions. It’s possible ATF has tasked NFA examiners with filling the gap.

9-12 months is average and has been for sometime however I was pleasantly surprised my last form 4 (trust via silencer shop) took 5 months (Feb 2020 -July 2020)

Site Supporter
    Could be. I didn't ask for specifics on the process just what the current wait was running. He offered the additional insight amd I may have gotten a detail wrong repeating it. He said 9-12 months and FBI checks with the spike in gun sales were a contributing factor.

My buddy just got his out of Form 4 purgatory. 161 days for him.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My buddy just got his out of Form 4 purgatory. 161 days for him.
    That’s encouraging!

User Tag List