Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virginia House passed bill that removes QI for LE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Trying to find anything with a decent amount of space (1+ acres) means moving way further than what you listed now...
    Yup. It's why I'm staying put until I'm ready to move well out of NoVA entirely.

FWIW, a few years ago I found a nice property up on Blue Mtn in Linden that was insanely cheap and was on about an acre of land. The house looked nice in the pics, had that sort of look that folks who own/rent "cabins" in places like East TN or Western NC go for (ie modern rustic). It was at the end of a cul-de-sac at the edge of the neighbourhood, so no neighbours on three sides and the nearest one on the 4th side was bout 100yds away. It was the type of place where you'd have bears walking through the backyard. The only drawback was you would absolutely need a 4x4 to get there. Sure, a car could do it in ideal conditions, at least for a year or two before being shaken apart, but if there was rain, snow, or ice, you'd need that 4x4. You were also a good 40min+ from the nearest store and 30 from I66, but once you hit I66 you could be in DC in about an hour and a half.

That would be an ideal 2nd home, but I didn't think it would be so hot for a family with 2 young kids in school (one of which is absolutely not an outdoors kid).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup. It's why I'm staying put until I'm ready to move well out of NoVA entirely.

FWIW, a few years ago I found a nice property up on Blue Mtn in Linden that was insanely cheap and was on about an acre of land. The house looked nice in the pics, had that sort of look that folks who own/rent "cabins" in places like East TN or Western NC go for (ie modern rustic). It was at the end of a cul-de-sac at the edge of the neighbourhood, so no neighbours on three sides and the nearest one on the 4th side was bout 100yds away. It was the type of place where you'd have bears walking through the backyard. The only drawback was you would absolutely need a 4x4 to get there. Sure, a car could do it in ideal conditions, at least for a year or two before being shaken apart, but if there was rain, snow, or ice, you'd need that 4x4. You were also a good 40min+ from the nearest store and 30 from I66, but once you hit I66 you could be in DC in about an hour and a half.

That would be an ideal 2nd home, but I didn't think it would be so hot for a family with 2 young kids in school (one of which is absolutely not an outdoors kid).

Chris
    Yeah I think my dream home is totally not my kids/wifes dream home... sigh...

If I want to shoot a deer from my porch in my underwear at the break of dawn... I want to do it dammit! Needing a 4x4 means I won't have douches showing up to my house at random...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yeah I think my dream home is totally not my kids/wifes dream home... sigh...

If I want to shoot a deer from my porch in my underwear at the break of dawn... I want to do it dammit! Needing a 4x4 means I won't have douches showing up to my house at random...
    From your lips to God's ears.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Probably not.

When a buddy moved to Haymarket in the late 90s, he was moving to the country. Now that place is the 'burbs. Same went for my friends who moved to Leesburg around the same time. They've all left those areas, btw.

Where I lived for a couple years outside of Richmond has changed considerably as well. Even SW VA has changed, but not to the extent North and Central VA have.

Chris
    This is why I keep telling the wife, 200 acres in TN.
    Hell of a lot harder for the "neighbors" to encroach.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I grew up near Charlottesville. Graduated county high school 1975.

I have seen VA turn from a nice place to a leftist shit hole.

I do not care to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I grew up near Charlottesville. Graduated county high school 1975.

I have seen VA turn from a nice place to a leftist shit hole.

I do not care to go back.
    I’ve only lived here for about a decade and it’s gotten to the point that we’re seriously considering relocation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I just (like yesterday) took a class where the instructor and the oldest member in the class recalled an era in this state where smart officers bought what amounted to malpractice insurance. Also referenced was a study (by the instructor; it would take some heinous research to verify, which I have not done, and likely will not do) that from 2014-2019 54% of qualified immunity claims were rejected by the Appellate and Supreme Courts....

It seems that even without "new" laws eliminating or limiting QI the odds of exercising QI were slightly worse than a coin toss. Also, it seems that some states limiting QI are putting limits on what you can go after the individual officer for. I can't verify right now, but it seems the CO law limits personal officer liability to $25k. Roughly .5ish to 100% of annual salary, depending on location.

The pendulum is swinging...I don't like it, being on the backside, but it continues to swing....

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Also referenced was a study (by the instructor; it would take some heinous research to verify, which I have not done, and likely will not do) that from 2014-2019 54% of qualified immunity claims were rejected by the Appellate and Supreme Courts....

It seems that even without "new" laws eliminating or limiting QI the odds of exercising QI were slightly worse than a coin toss.
    I wouldn't say it's a coin flip based on those facts. That selection sample is likely of cases where a plaintiff's attorney thinks the facts justify the effort to bring the case. I wouldn't expect the QI success rate to be much higher than that unless you have a bunch of attorneys who are really bad at judging the merits of a case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a coin flip based on those facts. That selection sample is likely of cases where a plaintiff's attorney thinks the facts justify the effort to bring the case. I wouldn't expect the QI success rate to be much higher than that unless you have a bunch of attorneys who are really bad at judging the merits of a case.
    I mostly agree...the point is that trying to use QI is nowhere near the slam dunk some seem to believe it is...

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I mostly agree...the point is that trying to use QI is nowhere near the slam dunk some seem to believe it is...

pat
    We definitely agree on that. Maybe it's because I work in a profession with mandatory malpractice insurance, but I certainly wouldn't want to do something on a daily basis that risks personal liability without adequate coverage.

User Tag List