Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virginia House passed bill that removes QI for LE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I have been looking at retirement over the border in WV. I'd still be within an hour of my grandkids in northern VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Trying to convince my wife that WV is a good spot to go to. Still can access DC if needed for work but out of the BS of NoVA.
    I'm looking at WV as well, but won't be making a move until my youngest is out of public school (5 more years). Both kids are doing really well (straight As, NHS, etc) and I don't want to do anything that disrupts that, so I'll have to tolerate things for a bit longer.

WV is on my short list (thinking about the area around R55/48), but it depends on where my and my wife's families are located. But WV is an hour further away from my mom and what's left of our family (really just her sister and some extended cousins at this point). My wife's family is entirely within VA, so WV, East TN, and Western NC all work (see a trend?). Another hurdle will be my wife. She's only known VA and also doesn't want to go somewhere colder (which is all of the places I like).

In terms of work, as long as my WFH gravy train doesn't end and I have adequate bandwidth, I live and work anywhere.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by chances R View Post
    California of the East.....
    That used to not be the case. As of a few years ago VA was quite conservative and had managed to roll back a pile of gun laws (including some that were recently re-instated). I can't help thinking some of our recent U-turn has been due to a backlash against Trump.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm looking at WV as well, but won't be making a move until my youngest is out of public school (5 more years). Both kids are doing really well (straight As, NHS, etc) and I don't want to do anything that disrupts that, so I'll have to tolerate things for a bit longer.

WV is on my short list (thinking about the area around R55/48), but it depends on where my and my wife's families are located. But WV is an hour further away from my mom and what's left of our family (really just her sister and some extended cousins at this point). My wife's family is entirely within VA, so WV, East TN, and Western NC all work (see a trend?). Another hurdle will be my wife. She's only known VA and also doesn't want to go somewhere colder (which is all of the places I like).

In terms of work, as long as my WFH gravy train doesn't end and I have adequate bandwidth, I live and work anywhere.

Chris
    NC is on the list as well for me - mostly the eastern side, I'd rather be on the west but high speed internet is the name of the game right now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    NC is on the list as well for me - mostly the eastern side, I'd rather be on the west but high speed internet is the name of the game right now.
    My family is mostly clustered around the eastern part of NC along Rt70 (kind of where they landed after leaving the West NC mountains about a hundred years ago). No way I would want to move back there. Too flat, too much local derp, and just not the vibe I appreciate (can't put a finger on it). Now, if I could go all the way east to OBX, I might change my mind.

Chris

My family is mostly clustered around the eastern part of NC along Rt70 (kind of where they landed after leaving the West NC mountains about a hundred years ago). No way I would want to move back there. Too flat, too much local derp, and just not the vibe I appreciate (can't put a finger on it). Now, if I could go all the way east to OBX, I might change my mind.

Chris
    Yeah I feel you on the local derp side of things... But it is better (for now) than the NoVA derp. OBX fills up every year with TONS of derp so that is totally out for me...

Yeah, I need to convince my wife that WV might be a good place to retire to. For better or worse, both my daughters bought homes in northern VA. My older daughter had her first child in July, and my younger daughter is due with her first in about two weeks. At one point we had considered retiring in NC, but my wife doesn't want to be that far away from them, and I understand that. Also - after dealing with my mother's declining health over the last five years, I think I have a bit of a responsibility to remain somewhat close to my daughters so that they can take care of me when it's my turn. If they had moved out of state, I'd feel differently.

That used to not be the case. As of a few years ago VA was quite conservative and had managed to roll back a pile of gun laws (including some that were recently re-instated). I can't help thinking some of our recent U-turn has been due to a backlash against Trump.
    That's some of it, but some of it comes from the expanding northern Virginia suburbs to the west and south. I used to ride way out in the countryside in the 90s south of Nokesville and west of Haymarket and Middleburg, but every time I ride there it seems like there are more and more housing developments popping up. I imagine it's the same in Richmond. I'm not sure if Virginia will ever return to what it was 20 years ago.

I see this as one of those seemingly small policies changes that will have huge influences down the road. Much like the Soros support for anti-law district attorneys.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    That's some of it, but some of it comes from the expanding northern Virginia suburbs to the west and south. I used to ride way out in the countryside in the 90s south of Nokesville and west of Haymarket and Middleburg, but every time I ride there it seems like there are more and more housing developments popping up. I imagine it's the same in Richmond. I'm not sure if Virginia will ever return to what it was 20 years ago.
    Probably not.

When a buddy moved to Haymarket in the late 90s, he was moving to the country. Now that place is the 'burbs. Same went for my friends who moved to Leesburg around the same time. They've all left those areas, btw.

Where I lived for a couple years outside of Richmond has changed considerably as well. Even SW VA has changed, but not to the extent North and Central VA have.

Chris

Probably not.

When a buddy moved to Haymarket in the late 90s, he was moving to the country. Now that place is the 'burbs. Same went for my friends who moved to Leesburg around the same time. They've all left those areas, btw.

Where I lived for a couple years outside of Richmond has changed considerably as well. Even SW VA has changed, but not to the extent North and Central VA have.

Chris
    Trying to find anything with a decent amount of space (1+ acres) means moving way further than what you listed now...

User Tag List