Thread: Old Stuff...

Old Stuff...

Folks:

After reading the Post: "Some More Time-Sensitive Enabling" which had some significant discussion about U.S. State Diplomatic Security Service S&W and Naval Investigative Service Model 19s, I found a photo from a shoot I attended last year. I figured I'd post it up since the world needs more revolver photos. Here goes:
    Name:  S&W M19 in early Milt Sparks Oct 2019.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  46.7 KB

What you are looking at is a Smith and Wesson Model 19-3. This Model 19 started out as a square butt police department trade in (possibly from Pittsburgh PA PD). Years ago, I read an article by CE Harris who used to write for he American Rifleman. I don't have the article he wrote, but I believe that is where I was exposed to the round butt Model 19. Somewhere along the line, I picked up the pictured Model 19. I decided to convert that revolver to round butt. I found a set of round butt service stocks and went to work. I had the revolver re-blued by a gunsmith in Pennsylvania and it turned out pretty well. I really enjoyed shooting that gun and eventually put a set of Pachmayr Compact stocks on it. Round butt K frame S&Ws, especially Model 19s, possess a special set of characteristics that sets them apart from most revolvers.

I later found a set of John Hurst stocks on Gun Broker and bought them. The vendor did not realize what they were and I was able to acquire them pretty inexpensively. The medallion you see appears to be cloisonné and is an emblem for the El Dorado County California Sheriff's Office. I surmise Mr. Hurst made these stocks for a deputy at EDCSO or possibly as a gift. I have no idea who the previous owner was. I previously mentioned these stocks. The are an exceptional example of the stock maker's art. Nothing, in terms of revolver stocks, feels as good as these. I am a huge fan of Craig Spegel and absolutely love the fit and feel of his round butt K frame stocks. As good as Craig's stock feels to me, the Hurst stocks are a hair better. I am blessed to have sets from both makers. If anyone has any contacts with EDCSO or information on the history of these stocks, please reach out for me.

As to the holster, it is a very, very early rig made by Milt Sparks himself. A dear friend who is a hard core shooter and Sparks holster collector loaned the holster to me for a revolver shoot that a mutual friend used to host. The rig rides high and close to the body. The fit is outstanding and retention was excellent. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about the products that Milt made but never saw this kind of rig. It pays to keep an eye out for things like this.

As to the shoot, I did not bring dishonor to my clan. As to the setting and friends that were present that day, all I can say is that it was one of the better days I have lived in a while. Enjoy!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    A perfect revolver, perfect stocks, perfect holster and what was clearly a perfect day at the revolver fest! As Pat Rogers (RIP) used to say, "life is good!"
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I don't know about anyone else, but I could stand to see some pics of just the Model 19 out of the holster...

CJS

A Smith 19-3 was the first handgun I bought myself after graduating from college (class of '71). Local shop owner had a smith smooth out the action, and it was (and still is) a sweet-shooting gun, albeit mostly a safe queen now. The standard grips were too fat for me to shoot it well double action, but a switch to some Pachmayr thinner rubber grips helped that a lot (although they're not at all elegant). Quickly realized that full load .357s were not so great as range fodder.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a 19-3 and I will never, ever sell it.

I replaced my original wood stocks with Ahrends and couldn't be happier.

More Hurst

On my 3" Model 10:

Name:  IMG_0723.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.1 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    On my 3" Model 10:

Name:  IMG_0723.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.1 KB
    Lt. Dave:

Gorgeous K frame. The more I handle Hurst stocks, the more I appreciate them. I still try to check out old gun shops in my travels and always look in the "used grips" box. I bought my first set of Hurst stocks in one such setting for the sum of....$7.50. It's hard to beat that, but I am always looking.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

User Tag List