Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DB's Sub-1-Second Snubby Draw, Sloooooo-moooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    Guy has an established grip on his pistol in his pocket. Pulls out gun and points it at a target about a meter away. What is so special about this? I think I'm missing something.
    Carefully read post #6, then carefully watch the video again.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Guy has an established grip on his pistol in his pocket. Pulls out gun and points it at a target about a meter away. What is so special about this? I think I'm missing something.
    It's not a skill, it's a tactic.

It demonstrates one of the advantages of a pocket revolver...you can walk around looking casual while you have a master grip established on a revolver that can be out and on a bad guy quickly and without him realizing it's happening until it's too late.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Drawing from a pocket holster is fairly challenging to do quickly even with an established grip.
    How easy or difficult it is to make a quick and smooth draw from a pocket holster depends dramatically on a combination of pocket size and shape, and how chunky one’s thighs are. I think one’s skill level may also have an impact.

At my mediocre skill level, with the right jeans/shorts, it’s much, much easier for me to get consistent sub 1 second draws out of the pocket with my hand already on the grip than out of a concealed AIWB holster hand not on the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now that is hot. Just as fast, hand not on pistol, to a target further away.

The guy in this video is pretty small though. I'm 6' 190. It's easy for tiny folks to move quickly. Like Muggsy Bogues is naturally going to be faster that Kobe. I doubt I could ever be that fast, but I'd like to be.
    The fellow who posted that video is the fellow *in* the video. His name is Caleb Giddings.

The fellow whose smooth draw you were disparaging earlier is the head moderator of this very sub-forum (in other words, your host) and one of the more highly regarded revolver-centric instructors currently working in the US.
    (His other forte is shotguns.) His name is Darryl Bolke.

Thought you might want to know these things. So you don't put your foot in your mouth, or anything like that.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to point out I never disparaged him. In the strictest sense I perhaps disparaged the draw as I don't find it noteworthy. I didn't really understand why it brought out such strong feelings.

I can only guess that it has something to do with his moderator status or the fact that, as you say, he's a highly regarded trainer. Therefore one must not question why people are fawning over a video of him.

Again, no one has even really argued that this video of the draw is special (and some have agreed that it isn't), just that the person is special (or possibly that just the technique is special.) If you guys say so. Fair enough.

Carry on.
    Its not that this one spsific draw is "special" in some way. The significance of the video comes from
    1. Allot of members here pocket carry j frame revolvers
    2. We practice and continue to strive to refine our skill sets in our chosen carry method.
    3. Darryl bolke is considered to be an expert when it comes to just this kind of thing.

Having the ability to watch ( especially in slow mo) a person with a high skill level perform is an impressive thing and for those who know what to look for there is allot to be taken away from such an opportunity. If i watch a video of Tom Brady throw a football it means nothing to me, its just some guy throwing a ball. If i were a highschool/ college QB looking to refine my skill sets I would probably view that same video in a completely different light. Context and whatnot.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Faster.
    We’re all looking forward to your video.

Hey, Rocky,

You do realize that the video was slow motion, don't you?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

What you write make sense. What doesn't make sense is people fawning over it as a 'hotness' and such. The person in the video isn't the first to demonstrate the technique and didn't invent it. And at least one person has implied that it's the speed that makes it drool-worthy. .
    Precisely one person made a comment that could be construed as fawning over 'hottness.' The rest were generally complimentary. Not sure why you're making a stink over it.

This was filmed during a training block about the role of snubbies and backup guns, and how to effectively train and employ them. This followed a lecture block called "Training Habits of Highly Successful Gunfighters." You see, Darryl's schtick is studying the gunfighters of yesteryear and applying what's useful to today. He makes no claim to inventing this technique. Quite the opposite, he's demonstrating that this particular old school technique with this old school gun is still relevant in an era of shot timers and Gucci guns.

You very well may have a faster draw...on demand...in front of an audience. Cool story bro. I suspect you're not his target demographic.

Cheers,
    David S.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-10-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    David S.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to point out I never disparaged him. In the strictest sense I perhaps disparaged the draw as I don't find it noteworthy. I didn't really understand why it brought out such strong feelings.

I can only guess that it has something to do with his moderator status or the fact that, as you say, he's a highly regarded trainer. Therefore one must not question why people are fawning over a video of him.

Again, no one has even really argued that this video of the draw is special (and some have agreed that it isn't), just that the person is special (or possibly that just the technique is special.) If you guys say so. Fair enough.

Carry on.
    I am certain you can find a more productive way to voice your thoughts.

Site Supporter
    Rocky reminds me of that saying, the confidence of amateurs is the envy of professionals.

Dave

User Tag List