Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Think of a sling more of a shooting aide and less of a "carry strap". I did carry my 16lb rifle for short distances on that sling, so that's doable too.
    Oh, I get it; we did a lot of it in the Corps. What sling do you like for PRS type stuff?
    #RESIST

I used VTAC sniper sling because:
    1. I had it
    2. If necessary I can split in the middle with the fastex buckle.
    4. It also feels like VTAC has has a longer sling compared to BFG Vickers. Since I am slinging a longer rifle, I preferred it.
    3. It has "sniper" in its name

The instructor had an earlier version of slingster. In my opinion most quick adjust 2 point slings should work.

Five shots at a hundred of Hornady 140gr ELDMs.

Name:  6fa5f9fb2fa9d70bbc6656a170f9e0a9750eb4b1-1.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  30.8 KB
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Like for the thread name change.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Finished a 2 day Competition Prep class at K&M with 16 students and 4 instructors. I would observe that 90% of students and instructors were using a version of the Game Changer - full size, schmeddium, or pint size. I use a heavy fill waxed cotton pint size and borrowed a full size to try. Was thinking of buying a full size or medium but ended course with my pint size and for now staying with pint size. Trend seems to be focusing on one bag. K&M has lots of props and focus of class was positional shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Finished a 2 day Competition Prep class at K&M with 16 students and 4 instructors. I would observe that 90% of students and instructors were using a version of the Game Changer - full size, schmeddium, or pint size. I use a heavy fill waxed cotton pint size and borrowed a full size to try. Was thinking of buying a full size or medium but ended course with my pint size and for now staying with pint size. Trend seems to be focusing on one bag. K&M has lots of props and focus of class was positional shooting
    I want to take a class there. I was shocked at how heavy my Shmedium is.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Dewey but I keep hearing that the only option is Lucas.
    I prefer the Sinclair because of the O-ring, plus the Dewey hangs up on a Model 70 Winchester's ejector and I have to unscrew the collar to get it out of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    To be frank, cleaning schedules one of those things that most people overthink. Just shoot. Clean it every few boxes. I think it's more important to really clean it when you do, not how often you do.
    This pretty much sums up my position. I carbon fouling with one solvent (can't remember what right now) and copper fouling with Sweet's.

In my father's Palma days, the guys on his team cleaned bores after every 60-round match. Looking back at my notes, I've gone as many as 156 rounds between cleanings, but I average about half of that. One or two patches following the directions on the back of a bottle of Sweet's usually does the trick.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I want to take a class there. I was shocked at how heavy my Shmedium is.
    K&M is the Disneyworld for PRS, unbelievable facility. Access to top PRS competitors. I took a 4 day class about 18 months ago and was hooked. Joined K&M and I go there quarterly with my shooting buddy. Stay in bunkhouse. Shot one of their one day PRS matches so far. I spend way more time on precision rifle than pistol work right now.

Yeah, the bags are heavy but make all the difference in the positional shooting.

I have a 7 oz lightweight bag taking to Wyoming next week for mule deer hunt.

Without a significant drive, the longest range I have access to is a 200 yard range. I’d like to learn a bit about precision shooting, and so I figured a .22lr at those ranges would allow me to do that. 100-200 should force me to make wind calls and dial for elevation, both of which are new to me.

I’m not willing to drop custom rifle money at this point, so would a Tikka T1X in a KRG Bravo chassis be a reasonable starting point? What would be some good alternative options? I’d like to keep the rifle itself under a grand if possible, minus optics, bipods, bags and the like.

Ammo is my other unknown, as I assume my stash of Wal Mart .22 ain’t gonna cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Without a significant drive, the longest range I have access to is a 200 yard range. I’d like to learn a bit about precision shooting, and so I figured a .22lr at those ranges would allow me to do that. 100-200 should force me to make wind calls and dial for elevation, both of which are new to me.

I’m not willing to drop custom rifle money at this point, so would a Tikka T1X in a KRG Bravo chassis be a reasonable starting point? What would be some good alternative options? I’d like to keep the rifle itself under a grand if possible, minus optics, bipods, bags and the like.

Ammo is my other unknown, as I assume my stash of Wal Mart .22 ain’t gonna cut it.
    Yes. T1x is a very nice rifle at a reasonable price. I like Wolf Match Target for medium price accurate ammo. SK is nice too.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List