Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

I would add that it also depends somewhat on what condition you generally keep your bore in. For instance, some shooters have actually cleaned after every shot--they're going to notice a difference pretty quickly, because a perfectly clean bore is their benchmark for consistency. I clean pretty regularly, and generally notice groups opening up a little on the Savage around 200 or 250. I think most guys fall in between that and ~500 or so.

To be frank, cleaning schedules one of those things that most people overthink. Just shoot. Clean it every few boxes. I think it's more important to really clean it when you do, not how often you do. I prefer to use dedicated carbon and copper removers from the same brand to avoid chemical interactions. Montana Gold and Bore Tech have both been good to me. I brush and patch for carbon, then copper, alternating until the copper patches stop reacting. This is because it's quite common to have carbon and copper deposits layered in the bore. I'd also add that I find cleaning rod selection to be important--I find coated steel just fine, but I absolutely won't use any cleaning rod with a brass female end--it reacts with your copper remover, giving you false positives and leading to corrosion that seizes up your cleaning jags (which incidentally, should also be non-brass, I like Bore Tech's Proof Positive jags).

I'm currently using a Tipton, only because I've been too lazy to find a replacement. It works pretty good on the .223, but it's complete garbage on the 6.5CM. If I were to pick, I'd go between a Lucas, a Possum Hollow, and a Sinclair, in that order. Having to get caliber/chamber-specific attachments is a pain, but it beats a bore guide that doesn't seal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’ve been using some from Sinclair Int’l for years. Opaque white plastic with O ring. My personal opinion is that with occasional, non aggressive cleaning routine, this is more than adequate.
    This. I like the built-in solvent port and caliber-specific vs the one-size-fits-all guides I've tried.

I don’t use a bore guide, or copper solvent. Making sure the chamber is clean is a priority though. Carbon ring = no bueno.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I really should get a bore guide now...

Name:  352482157f7d3a68a488689703a66a69201025c5-1.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  01112d6c08c7807ce4658cea2a2a25e32f3b63b4-1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  66.5 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I really should get a bore guide now...
    Nice! Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nice! Specs?
    MPA BA PMR Pro, Curtis Axiom action, 6.5 CM, folder, Brownells MPO 5-25x, Atlas CAL. MPA ships these with a tight chamber to meet the 3/8s MOA with factory ammo accuracy guarantee. I've got a barrel tuner en route too.
    #RESIST

I never used a bore guide and don't have a "cleaning schedule". When I was taking a precision class last year, the instructor was a SF Sniper and a competitive shooter. I asked him about cleaning. His response: only clean the rifle when you see an accuracy degradation. I know it's tough to quantify, but I generally don't clean my precision rifles all that often.
    When I do, it's a chamber brush followed by otis cable with some patches. This is for AX .308 and DT SRS A1.

MPA BA PMR Pro, Curtis Axiom action, 6.5 CM, folder, Brownells MPO 5-25x, Atlas CAL. MPA ships these with a tight chamber to meet the 3/8s MOA with factory ammo accuracy guarantee. I've got a barrel tuner en route too.
    Very nice setup! Looking forward to seeing the results. I see the total weight is 12.5 lbs. So under 15# with scope & mount. That's sounds perfect.

Site Supporter
    KSS tuner? I just ordered one for my .22 competition rifle. Seems to be the solution for sorting out harmonics when shooting factory ammo where you can't change seating depth or powder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Very nice setup! Looking forward to seeing the results. I see the total weight is 12.5 lbs. So under 15# with scope & mount. That's sounds perfect.
    18.5lbs with unloaded mag on The Dude's scale.
    #RESIST

User Tag List