Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have tried it in a 1:12 twist Remington 223 and a 1:7.5 223AI. On paper, it shoots under 1/2 inch out of either, but I have yet to shoot anything furry with it. It won't stabilize in a friend's 222 with a 1:14 twist.
    I bought a box a long time ago to try, hoping Hornady would eventually offer it in the 250 count boxes... AFAIKm, they never did, and I still have not loaded them to try, but they are a very much more VLDish shape than other Vmax bullets. Very long/pointy in comparison. Supposedly the BC is the best of all the v-max bullets, including the 60gr.

The 60gr V-max was always my favorite (in .223 ARs), I just wish it was a BT bullet. The Nosler 60 shoots well, but isn't as explosive on varmints, IME.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm expecting the 60 V-Max to do well out of my Wylde-chambered ARs when I get around to loading some. The flat base gives it long bearing area to keep it stabilized in the neck while the ogive moves out to find the lands.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm expecting the 60 V-Max to do well out of my Wylde-chambered ARs when I get around to loading some. The flat base gives it long bearing area to keep it stabilized in the neck while the ogive moves out to find the lands.
    Near max (.223 data) loads of AA 2230 or Ramshot TAC seems to give me about 3/4 MOA ten shot groups most of the time with the 60's ( Nosler too)... with minimal workup/case prep baloney. Just load up in LC or Win cases with a CCI #41 and away we go.

3/4 MOA isn't bugholes... but its plenty useful on something like rockchucks out to 400-500 yards for me. Even the flat base V-max is pretty effective out that far.

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/...39250051137634

https://www.bluecollarreloading.com/...31954133876834

.264 Sierra TGK 140gr @ 148 in stock 100 count

.264 Sierra TMK 130gr projectiles 27 in stock 100 ct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is there a general procedure for shooting from a tripod? Do you lean into it and load the legs like a bipod (is that even possible? Is it terrain dependent?) or does it simply support the rifle and take one human variable out of the equation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's tricky, and does take some practice to avoid letting the rifle "free recoil". Some tricks to "load" the gun without tipping the tripod over include lowering the front leg, attaching a strap from the center to your belt, or grabbing a leg with your weak hand. I don't like a bunch of extra crap, so I like grabbing better than a strap. But, I'm still not as good on a tripod as my precision rifle team partner and he's all about the strap.

I recommend practicing to see what you can get away with for a given target difficulty.
    Update on the tripod technique discussion. With the new leveling head, my tripod shooting significantly leveled up. I was making 1st round hits on some difficult and distant targets that used to seem hard with the unstable old setup.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Nice tripod! I prefer half-ball leveling bases to full ballheads.

Here's a Chinese knockoff of the RRR leveling base:
    https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-Level...dp/B082NVGTGK/
    So, the review is wrong regarding gradual/fine adjustments? There’s one review that claims the adjustments aren’t fine, that they’re either off or on, no in between.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So, the review is wrong regarding gradual/fine adjustments? There’s one review that claims the adjustments aren’t fine, that they’re either off or on, no in between.
    It’s smooth and continuous. Also very solid with my 17lb rifle. I think it’s better for this purpose than the huge RRS.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

It’s smooth and continuous. Also very solid with my 17lb rifle. I think it’s better for this purpose than the huge RRS.
    I’m just gonna send you the bill for this...
    #RESIST

Well I’m down to my last 80rds of fgmm Berger 6.5. I ordered some lapua small primer cases, staball 6.5 powder and 140gr Sierra tgk. I’m going to set down with a good friend that knows a thing or two on this prs game and loading very accurate ammo to learn the right way. Excited to start up loading for the 6.5 and hope to improve my loading skills. Now I just have to wait for all my components to come in.

AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Well I’m down to my last 80rds of fgmm Berger 6.5. I ordered some lapua small primer cases, staball 6.5 powder and 140gr Sierra tgk. I’m going to set down with a good friend that knows a thing or two on this prs game and loading very accurate ammo to learn the right way. Excited to start up loading for the 6.5 and hope to improve my loading skills. Now I just have to wait for all my components to come in.

Everyone has their own spin on load development, but I’ve found Dan Newberrys Otimal Charge Weight method to be extremely relevant to PRS style or practical field shooting. I just got done developing a load for my new rig and this will have been the fourth time I’ve used this method. I’m happy enough to not change what works. It’s basically finding a charge weight in the center of a ‘node’ where the point of impact is shared by several charges and load to that. Thus, imperfections in the load process and changes in ambients won’t effect the point of impact as much. You’re making the most forgiving ammo across a variety of ranges instead of ammo that makes the smallest groups at a specific range. Hit me up with questions; I’m not sure I’m explaining it clearly.

https://www.twincityrodandgun.com/do...%20-%20OCW.pdf

User Tag List