Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    You are going to like that Tikka, my favorite factory action/rifle. I went with 80SMKs as a relatively inexpensive training bullet to shoot, that flies similar to some of the heavier bullets in my other 6mm and 6.5mm rifles. The factory magazine you have allows longer OALs with long bullets. When I went to a different stock, I went to MDT AI 223 magazines which allow 2.55” and hold 10 rounds. I agree that if you are staying within 200-500yds, then some of the 52-55gr bullets are excellent. The Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip shoots very well for me, as does the Sierra 55 Blitz King and Hornady 55gr VMax. I do not have any 4198 loads I can recommend, but have some for 8208XBR and H335. I’m almost out of 8208 and having trouble finding more.

Additionally, companies like Preferred Barrel Blanks offer shouldered prefit barrels if you want to change from a 223 to something else with the same cartridge head size. I went with 223AI, and it is a nail driver. As you can tell, I’ve fallen way down the rabbit hole with this rifle.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
    223AI is a fantastic little cartridge with the only downside being that you have to fireform, but even that is fun.

You get a nice boost in velocity, never have to trim due to the shoulder angle, and I find it to be a little easier to load for/less finicky to powder variance and temperature changes. I'm running the 75 Amax in mine but am going to try the 80 ELD whenever I run out of those.

8208 is my choice as well but I have also had success with 2000MR.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I woke up this morning trying to remember if .223 AI was a thing (what, doesn’t everyone wake up thinking about gun stuff?) because I’m in a 200 yards max scenario as well.

Do you find it to be a measurable improvement over match .223 or was this a “just because I can” sort of thing?
    Either will do fine at 200 yards.

Having owned both a varmint and sporter version of the .223 T3 I can tell you that 25 grains of H335 and a 52 grain SMK shoots bugholes. I have shot a lot of 1" groups at 200.
    They also drop stuff with authority.

My oldest daughters first dog hunt. She was slightly proud that we were successful.

My dad actually has 2 t3 heavy barrel .223s and that is the only load he uses.

There was a guy back in the 90s that wrote a book called Black Magic. I can't remember the name of the guy, and I loaned out my copy of the book. It was about shooting AR-15s in competition. He used the 25 h335/52 SMK load and won some national titles. The load works as well in an AR as a bolt gun.

CHEERS!

I woke up this morning trying to remember if .223 AI was a thing (what, doesn’t everyone wake up thinking about gun stuff?) because I’m in a 200 yards max scenario as well.

Do you find it to be a measurable improvement over match .223 or was this a “just because I can” sort of thing?
    If a shooter was staying with short range shooting inside 300 yards, or semi-autos, or doesn’t hand load, then standard 223 is fine! But for me this is a practice rifle for PRS/NRL shooting. I handload, and I want to shoot out to 800+ yards. So the 223AI works better for me. 5-10% more capacity, and 5-10% better velocity. Brass stretches less, and lasts longer if I treat it well. Brass is cheap! Even nice brass is cheap (Winchester, Lake City, Lapua). Accuracy is great. I have shot some nice 10-shot groups with that Tikka.

Name:  A3ECA6B7-31AB-48FF-9CD8-84C0C9C01E83.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  49.6 KB

You know what is really nice about that 10-shot group? I loaded that ammo on a Dillon 1050. Not any really special procedures. I sort for headstamp, and only load one type at a time. But the LC brass seems to group just as well as the Winchester of Lapua. The load loafs along at 2950fps, I could push it faster, but it matches the flight of my other bullets pretty well, and is easy on brass and the barrel. I charge powder with a Dillon measure, and lube cases with OneShot. To me that load is the easy-button for shooting. I can load ammo for around $.35-.40 a round (pre insanity prices), and it shoots great. No weighing individual charges, no sorting cases by weight, no neck-turning — just add brass, bullets, powder and primers to the press as required. This is why I want to find more 8208, I really like how this load shoots.

I will also confess I love varmint hunting. I don’t get to do nearly as much as I would like, hence the PRS/NRL appeal. But a 223AI in a prairie dog town is just about perfect. Accurate, low recoil, moderate barrel heat, cheap brass if lost. What is better? More than one rifle. I confess I have 3 223AIs. The Tikka, a used Hall single shot, and an AR-15 upper with a 1:14 twist barrel (shoots 40gr bullets around 3800fps). I have almost ruined a rifle in a prairie dog town because I shot too much, too fast and overheated the barrel. This is why I’m trying out 20 VarTarg as a high-volume varmint cartridge. Very low barrel heating, and effective out to more than 400yds. 22-250 is great at varmints, but heats up quickly. Better for coyotes than prairie dogs.

I guess I’m a rifle junkie, and for me the 223AI is the best use of 223 brass.
    Last edited by Trigger; 02-26-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

That's an Awesome group! It even Awesomer loaded on a Dillon.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Since we're talking .223s, does anyone have experience with the 53-gr V-Max? The published BC is substantially higher than anything else in the weight range, as I recall. Wondering about real-world performance.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I have the nucleus 1.0 with Barloc system barreled in 6.5 Creedmoor and I need to shoot it more.
    How do you like the Barloc? Have you done any barrel swapping yet?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

How do you like the Barloc? Have you done any barrel swapping yet?
    No swapping yet, but I did remove the barrel and reinstall just to see if it kept zero and it did. I’m still looking/deciding what 308 barrel profile and length to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Thanks, there’s a chance I’m going to have to start my own money pit thread in the near future.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Since we're talking .223s, does anyone have experience with the 53-gr V-Max? The published BC is substantially higher than anything else in the weight range, as I recall. Wondering about real-world performance.
    I have tried it in a 1:12 twist Remington 223 and a 1:7.5 223AI. On paper, it shoots under 1/2 inch out of either, but I have yet to shoot anything furry with it. It won't stabilize in a friend's 222 with a 1:14 twist.

User Tag List