Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Site Supporter
    TL/DR: New Tikka Varmint .223 build.

So after talking with @ranger about caliber selection, I went to see what ammo could be found on ammoseek. Some not great .308, two choices of 6.5CM, and no .260. After walking to the reloading cabinet to see how much .308 I had left from my last rifle, I noticed I had inadvertently collected several hundred pieces of .223 (actually LC 5.56 mostly from work) brass. Just to help my buddy move, I ended up with 10 lbs of IMR4198 and about 6K sr primers. Now, I don’t have a single rifle, but darn near everything required to load .223. What put me over the edge was finding some Lee dies in stock and immediately finding a couple of 500 ct boxes of 69 gr Match Kings for $119 shipped.

A week later, I ended up winning a Tikka Varmint in .223 on GB. With a little help from some Amazon gift cards and scrounging my shelves, it looks like I’m starting a build!!

I’m going to be working on load development, putting it in a chassis, and everything, so If anyone is interested, mods can split this off into it’s own thread and I’ll detail the build and process.

Name:  F0E3C099-29C4-4142-96D3-399051847E31.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  85.0 KB

Tikka makes good rifles.

The 69 SMK is a really good bullet but starts to run out of gas pretty quickly past 600 due to the low G1 BC of .300, where a 75 Berger VLD or Hornady ELD-M have a BC over .400. I've shot the old 75 Amax out of my Tikka at distances out to 900 yards.

The longer match bullets are typically easier to find in this market due to them not being able to fit an AR mag when loaded.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Tikka makes good rifles.

The 69 SMK is a really good bullet but starts to run out of gas pretty quickly past 600 due to the low G1 BC of .300, where a 75 Berger VLD or Hornady ELD-M have a BC over .400. I've shot the old 75 Amax out of my Tikka at distances out to 900 yards.

The longer match bullets are typically easier to find in this market due to them not being able to fit an AR mag when loaded.
    Copy all. Three things:

A) I’m on the east coast where the only stretches with more clearing than 200m are airfields.
    B) that’s pretty much all I could find for sale
    3) Tikkas are notorious for tight chambers. One of the things I have in store is a trip to a gunsmith for barrel threading and a chamber reaming out to Wylde specs so I can load the longer bullets.

A. Understood

B. You made a good choice if you are only shooting to 200. Another one to try is the 52/53 grain match bullets. I shoot those out to 300.

3. Interesting thought on reaming the chamber. Mine, a T3 Sporter, will chamber the 75 Amax loaded to 2.390" which is longer than the factory mag will accept. I have a couple modified mags that will accept the longer COAL.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    A. Understood

B. You made a good choice if you are only shooting to 200. Another one to try is the 52/53 grain match bullets. I shoot those out to 300.

3. Interesting thought on reaming the chamber. Mine, a T3 Sporter, will chamber the 75 Amax loaded to 2.390" which is longer than the factory mag will accept. I have a couple modified mags that will accept the longer COAL.
    Good to know. This is all academic for me right now; my first experience with Tikka. I will be using AICS mags so hopefully I will be able to seat ‘em long. I’m about to start load development and will figure out how long I can go then.

Update:
    Finally got the scope mounted. Bushnell DMRII Pro 3.5-21 with the G3 reticle, Vortex PMR rings, EGW 20 moa rail.
    Couple of thoughts: firstly, I thought I had stripped the factory screws that plug the holes in the receiver where you would secure the mount. Google showed me that they were just plastic plugs. I tapped them out into the action with a small punch and then chased the threads with a 6-48 (I believe) tap.

Secondly, the factory stock is very nice and would be sufficient for entry level usage. Or if budget dictates. Fit and finish is very nice with all edges clean and the barrel nicely centered in the channel, not touching anything. Surprisingly little flex, very rigid with a substantial feel. The internet complains Tikkas aren’t fully free floated from factory (alliteration!) but mine was free up to the action.
    Name:  459E3DA1-41D5-46AC-8C48-C4B6B1AD5B3C.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  110D83DB-95D6-48B6-934E-66A1122E1702.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  50.4 KB
    Last edited by TOTS; 02-20-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Let me know if you part with the Tikka stock. I may be interested

You are going to like that Tikka, my favorite factory action/rifle. I went with 80SMKs as a relatively inexpensive training bullet to shoot, that flies similar to some of the heavier bullets in my other 6mm and 6.5mm rifles. The factory magazine you have allows longer OALs with long bullets. When I went to a different stock, I went to MDT AI 223 magazines which allow 2.55” and hold 10 rounds. I agree that if you are staying within 200-500yds, then some of the 52-55gr bullets are excellent. The Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip shoots very well for me, as does the Sierra 55 Blitz King and Hornady 55gr VMax. I do not have any 4198 loads I can recommend, but have some for 8208XBR and H335. I’m almost out of 8208 and having trouble finding more.

There is a $10 spring available from TikkaPerformance that makes the trigger adjustable to a lower weight that is very nice. https://tikkaperformance.com/product...rigger-spring/ If you end up replacing the stock, I recommend the KRG Bravo. I have several on Tikkas, and like the ergonomics, the metal chassis, the features and most importantly the price. I have been unable to leave well enough alone, and have changed bolt handles (either Tikka CTR or Sterk), bipod mount (KRG Arca extension) and a two-stage trigger (KRG Midas). I’m really happy with how the Tikka shoots. Great accuracy, and the bolt runs very well.

Additionally, companies like Preferred Barrel Blanks offer shouldered prefit barrels if you want to change from a 223 to something else with the same cartridge head size. I went with 223AI, and it is a nail driver. As you can tell, I’ve fallen way down the rabbit hole with this rifle.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I went with 223AI, and it is a nail driver.
    I woke up this morning trying to remember if .223 AI was a thing (what, doesn’t everyone wake up thinking about gun stuff?) because I’m in a 200 yards max scenario as well.

Do you find it to be a measurable improvement over match .223 or was this a “just because I can” sort of thing?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Additionally, companies like Preferred Barrel Blanks offer shouldered prefit barrels if you want to change from a 223 to something else with the same cartridge head size. I went with 223AI, and it is a nail driver. As you can tell, I’ve fallen way down the rabbit hole with this rifle.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Ask and you shall receive!! Good recommendations all around. I know 4198 isn’t a good powder for .223, but I ended up with 12 lbs and 8K primers for free. Thats why I went .223 vice 6.5/.308. When I’ve shot up all the powder/ primers I have it’ll be easy to justify a rebarrel and caliber change. I am interested in the AI cartridges though. Sounds fun. I’m familiar with the “yo-dave” trigger springs, but I’m very happy with the trigger adjusted to the lowest setting; great field triggers. If you have an extra CTR bolt knob, I’m very interested in swapping stainless one from the Varmint to the black one the CTRs come with.

Name:  8BE2CF26-A39F-4A82-8DEB-B0CB2295B202.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  38.6 KB

Funny you mention KRG...this just showed up last night!

Site Supporter
    Fully assembled and beginning load development.

Name:  A46BC16F-6F79-492C-80D4-B3B820716AED.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  104.2 KB

User Tag List