Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

I'm leaning towards the Dewey but I keep hearing that the only option is Lucas.
    #RESIST

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve been using some from Sinclair Int’l for years. Opaque white plastic with O ring. My personal opinion is that with occasional, non aggressive cleaning routine, this is more than adequate.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I've always used the cheap Tipton one.

KRG said "We don't use bore guides and we rarely clean our rifles" when I asked them... so... none.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    KRG said "We don't use bore guides and we rarely clean our rifles" when I asked them... so... none.
    Most barrels need at least an initial cleaning to remove copper after 50 or so rounds (assuming you don't do "break-in" procedure which is really just a way to avoid a more substantial initial cleaning). Different calibers can certainly get away with less copper cleaning, but most will see some type of accuracy degradation at some point.

I hate cleaning, but not doing it can definitely affect accuracy. This cleaning procedure from Caylen Wojcik is pretty simple: https://moderndaysniper.mykajabi.com...rifle-cleaning

I’ve got one of these on order and they’re known for shooting factory ammo well, at the expense of having a tight chamber cut for factory ammo and they can get a carbon ring easily.
    #RESIST

I got one the Lucas bore guides from 6mmbr.com. Really like it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Sinclair. I like them a lot.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Most barrels need at least an initial cleaning to remove copper after 50 or so rounds (assuming you don't do "break-in" procedure which is really just a way to avoid a more substantial initial cleaning). Different calibers can certainly get away with less copper cleaning, but most will see some type of accuracy degradation at some point.

I hate cleaning, but not doing it can definitely affect accuracy. This cleaning procedure from Caylen Wojcik is pretty simple: https://moderndaysniper.mykajabi.com...rifle-cleaning
    What sort of accuracy degradation do you see?

I never got into true precision rifles, have never shot beyond 600 and have never bothered measuring groups with anything more than a ruler...so, I'm just curious. I've only ever cleaned bores for general maintenance/corrosion prevention, not necessarily specifically for accuracy.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    It depends on the barrel.

As soon as I think a gun might not be shooting as well, I'll clean, so I might not be the best person to ask. I usually see it as a small change. A rifle that is a definite 3/4 minute gun that will no longer shoot under a minute.

I had a .308 barrel that never seemed to need cleaning. At the time, I didn't realize that there was as much barrel to barrel variance, so I never really let it go to see if it would ever foul to the point of causing problems.

User Tag List