Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebowski's precision rifle money pit thread

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Without a significant drive, the longest range I have access to is a 200 yard range. I’d like to learn a bit about precision shooting, and so I figured a .22lr at those ranges would allow me to do that. 100-200 should force me to make wind calls and dial for elevation, both of which are new to me.

I’m not willing to drop custom rifle money at this point, so would a Tikka T1X in a KRG Bravo chassis be a reasonable starting point? What would be some good alternative options? I’d like to keep the rifle itself under a grand if possible, minus optics, bipods, bags and the like.

Ammo is my other unknown, as I assume my stash of Wal Mart .22 ain’t gonna cut it.
    The biggest thing you need is good glass with a reticle that you can use for holding wind, and elevation if you prefer to hold rather than dial. I would recommend a 16X zoom at a minimum. You'll probably end up spending more on the scope than the rifle.

Next is an accurate rifle. How accurate depends on how much you want to spend, but the Tikka has a good reputation for a factory gun. The Bravo or any other chassis isn't necessary to get started, it is just more comfortable to shoot.

Ammo is also going to depend on what your budget and accuracy needs are. You can have fun shooting steel at 100 yards with bulk pack and I have had pretty good success on clay pigeons at 200 yards with Automatch. CCI Standard Velocity is a little better. After that it's 10 cents a round and goes up. The good part is the panic buying doesn’t affect the premium ammo nearly as much as the bulk stuff.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I ended up with a KRG Bravo, Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2, Area419 30MOA rail, and Vortex PMR rings. It was pretty windy today so I chose to get a 25yd zero at an indoor range this afternoon instead. I'll try stretching it out later this month - I've got a decent stash of Wolf Match Extra and Federal Gold Medal Match stuff to try.

This pic is not how I shot, that front rest sucked. Last night I took a guess at a load based on very limited load data and this morning was whacking a tennis ball at 300 yards with ease. I really like this rifle. I also had to shoot an inch or less measured and witnessed group by the RSO in order to qualify to shoot at the 1000 yard line next time I’m at this range, shot a measured .5” five shot group. I just need to get the right mount for my chronograph and I’ll be ready for a thousand yards.

Name:  CEEF46D2-8FC4-4355-AA2B-E54CE9ED8F84.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  54.2 KB
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I ended up with a KRG Bravo, Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2, Area419 30MOA rail, and Vortex PMR rings. It was pretty windy today so I chose to get a 25yd zero at an indoor range this afternoon instead. I'll try stretching it out later this month - I've got a decent stash of Wolf Match Extra and Federal Gold Medal Match stuff to try.
    That Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 is an underappreciated scope - it hits above its class in price. I am a fan on the KRG Bravo too!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This pic is not how I shot, that front rest sucked. Last night I took a guess at a load based on very limited load data and this morning was whacking a tennis ball at 300 yards with ease.
    I do a ton of load development on charge weights. It's for naught, because every time I go out, I find that the best-grouping load with the smallest ES/SD is .3 grains below Sierra's max for whatever weight bullet I'm using. This has held over multiple sessions with H4350 and RL16, and multiple bullets in the 140-grain range. Currently using 43.2gr of RL16 under a 144-grain SMK. Have previously liked 42.9gr of H4350 under a 140-grain Hornady ELD-M, although the RL16/SMK load blows it out of the water.

On another note, the benches at the average range make me cry. I forgot my Bag of Bags last time I went out and had to roll up my jacket to use as a rear bag. I froze my ass off but I shot tiny groups.

Amazing. Absolutely stomp down amazing.

Ball head:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087RP5V5D/

Tripod:
    https://www.amazon.com/Monopod-Adapt...dp/B089M36DW9/

Happiness.

Name:  6442E22F-C4E6-4509-8106-EE9D6B2B0BAD.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  87.4 KB

Please don’t make me regret posting this crappy video.

#RESIST

This thread is such a sore subject for me. Been pursuing precision rifle for over 20 years in the land of 300yd max ranges. Kept upgrading equipment cuz why not. My last rig I waited a year to get. Finally came in when I moved into my house built in 1792. Well, I guess its no suprise that the house has consumed me and the new rig remains unfired even thouhh a 1k range is now 50 min away sOoN!!!. Here is a pic just the same.

Its a Vadex Kraken in 6.5cm and 300NM. Custom Ops2 Inc mount and a US Optics scope.
    Name:  20180406_142023.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  100.9 KB

Nice tripod! I prefer half-ball leveling bases to full ballheads.

Here's a Chinese knockoff of the RRR leveling base:
    https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-Level...dp/B082NVGTGK/

And here's the real RRS one that costs more than your tripod:
    https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ta-...=1&custcol15=2

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Amazing. Absolutely stomp down amazing.

Ball head:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087RP5V5D/

Tripod:
    https://www.amazon.com/Monopod-Adapt...dp/B089M36DW9/

Happiness.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Damn phone kbd. Cadex Kraken. And another correction, thats not the Ops 2 Inc mount on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nice tripod! I prefer half-ball leveling bases to full ballheads.
    Please to explain why, I don’t know much about this new technology.
    #RESIST

User Tag List