Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: appendix carry is painful

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    I want to like appendix carry, I think it keeps my pistol in a location that is harder for my kids, or anyone, to get to and it conceals easier. However, I get a painful “hot spot” where the holster presses against me below my belt. I’m fine for like an hour or two and then I’m constantly shifting the holster to try and find a comfortable spot without pain. What am I doing wrong? I’m carrying a CZ P10C in a Phlster Classic with a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt. I tried making an additional wedge with a Dr Scholls gel heel insert (not the best I know) but that didn’t help. Should I just stick to 3:00/4:00?
    In my experience, your issues are common in new AIWB carriers. As @Cory and @Duke have said, it takes a lot of experimentation. It also requires some mental re-training to carry this way comfortably. Keep at it, and you'll get there*.

Now, I vastly prefer it to any other position, and have hiked 100's of miles over rough terrain carrying AIWB.

Here are some things to try:
    JM Custom holster. I've tried a lot of other options, and these are by far my favorite.
    https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html

More flexible belt. I have an Atlas belt and it's way too stiff for AIWB. Try this:
    https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop

The right wedge or cushion. I invented my own "junk carry pillow", and it makes a huge difference.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....(AIWB-cushion)

*I have one friend who didn't "get there" with AIWB, even after a lot of trying, and it's because he is a "big boy" around the middle. He now carries OWB at 3:30 and is a happy camper.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-07-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The right wedge or cushion. I invented my own "junk carry pillow", and it makes a huge difference.
    As long as he doesn't end up with My Pillow from Mike Lindell...that I will not forgive.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The PHLster Classic already has the hard "teardrop" wedge so all those recommendations to add the Dark Star pad and others won't work. I don't even think a flat muzzle pad placed over the Teardrop will help. I won't knock PHLster products, but I tried a Classic a few years ago with a Glock 17 and 19 and after about one day it was a NO GO because of the single attachment.

The Tenicor Velo also has the hard built-in wedge so it may not work any better. I have one I've re-purposed with Ulti-clips for non-belt carry.

I carry a Glock 17, 19, or 26 in a couple of JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw 2.0s - one is a 17-length and the other is a 34-length (it's LONG). The angled muzzle pad that comes with it is as durable and comfortable to me as the Dark Star pad (also very good) mentioned in a previous post.

Then there's the belt. Over the years I've become sick and tired of Velcro. I went out on a limb and bought a leather KORE gun belt with the ratcheting system. I LOVE the quick adjustability of the ratchet. I mainly use this belt for dressier situations. I also got the "tactical" KORE nylon gun belt which I use almost every day. This belt is no joke - actually much stiffer than necessary for appendix carry. But compared to Graith or Wilderness belts, the KORE requires less tightness to keep the gun close and tucked. Ideally I'd like a KORE nylon gun belt with the rigidity of the leather version.

I wonder if you're wearing your belt too tight? Things need to be loose enough to allow for some up and down movement when you sit or stand. What "may" be just right standing could be a little tight when sitting, making adjustment necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Then there's the belt. Over the years I've become sick and tired of Velcro. I went out on a limb and bought a leather KORE gun belt with the ratcheting system. I LOVE the quick adjustability of the ratchet. I mainly use this belt for dressier situations. I also got the "tactical" KORE nylon gun belt which I use almost every day. This belt is no joke - actually much stiffer than necessary for appendix carry. But compared to Graith or Wilderness belts, the KORE requires less tightness to keep the gun close and tucked. Ideally I'd like a KORE nylon gun belt with the rigidity of the leather version.

I wonder if you're wearing your belt too tight? Things need to be loose enough to allow for some up and down movement when you sit or stand. What "may" be just right standing could be a little tight when sitting, making adjustment necessary.
    I rarely wear my reinforced leather, (one with steel insert, one with polymer), Aker belts these days, but I wore one the other day to my LEOSA qualification because it's quicker for me to get out of my AIWB rig and into the OWB at the range.

I forgot how comfortable it was, and it works great for AIWB because of the steel (in this case) reinforcement strip in between the two layers of cowhide. And it didn't have to be overly tight.

I've had these belts forever and they just keep going.

I think all the adjustment variables have been well pointed out thus far, and if it still doesn't work, AIWB might just not be for the OP.

What is your body type? Is your holster sized exactly for the P10C or does it have extra length?

Generally, I find that having extra added length to the holster will dramatically reduce “hot spots” and the pain you’ve described. As always, this is dependent on body shape and the “AIWB equation” as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

I think all the adjustment variables have been well pointed out thus far, and if it still doesn't work, AIWB might just not be for the OP.
    Could be, and I forgot to mention the whole "unrealistic expectation" thing. Comfort is relative. AIWB shouldn't hurt, but anyone who says that "it'll be so comfortable you'll forget you have 3 lbs of gun and gear inside your pants - as long as you use this holster or that belt" will exaggerate about other things too.

Could be, and I forgot to mention the whole "unrealistic expectation" thing. Comfort is relative. AIWB shouldn't hurt, but anyone who says that "it'll be so comfortable you'll forget you have 3 lbs of gun and gear inside your pants - as long as you use this holster or that belt" will exaggerate about other things too.
    My P-07 doesn't weigh 3lbs, but it's not a subcompact either. I truly don't feel it's there most of the time.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Agreed. AIWB is my preferred carry...but it's not like I'm going to go all Mike Lindell over it.

As mentioned above, small adjustments make a big difference.

Adjust one thing at a time, try it for a couple of hours, then tweak as needed. Try a new belt, experiment with wedges of various sizes. Make your own, way cheaper and easier to experiment. If all adjustments fail, try another brand of holster and adjust as needed.

I use a JMCK 2.0 because it has a lot of adjustment. That and playing around with the wedge allowed me to find a comfortable spot. For a long time I used a 1 3/4" rigger belt, but currently I use a 5.11 1 3/4". They're not cool or recommended, but the flex of the belt works for me.

It's as comfortable as a two and half pounds of metal carried near my junk can be, but it's nothing like a Sparks IWB.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List